Notices

54 STI8 2.0 PPP: Which Springs do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2010, 10:03 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 54 STI8 2.0 PPP: Which Springs do I have?

On my STI8 PPP, is there any easy way to determine which springs I have? I gather they could be stock, STI pinks or pro-drive.

Basically I'd like to change the springs to lower the ride height slightly and stiffen the ride up slightly but without knowing what I have it's rather difficult to work out what to change to.

I'm guessing it may have STI pinks as it's an errr STI . If so I think they're -20F/-20R (mm) compared to stock in which case I'd like to go to around -40F/-30R. I don't spend much time flying over speed bumps, kerbs or humpback bridges so I'm not overly concerned about running out of travel in the suspension.

e.g. If I have stock then I would be happy with Eibach Pro/Sportline since I'd get at least -30F/20R

However if I already have STI pinks then the Eibach Pros would only give me another 1cm and only then at the front, in which case I'd consider something like RSR Ti2000s possibly. The pro-drive springs would also be pointless since they're higher than the pinks.

My only clue is that it was parked next to a WR1 when I bought it. The WR1 rear was the same height as mine but the front was noticeably lower.

At this point I'm not out to do more than the springs as I'm saving to swap the short motor for an STI 2.5

Oh and if anyone has springs going that will fill the bill - I have cash waiting
Old 14 June 2010, 07:11 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

bttt

I know there are gurus out there who tinker with suspension all day long! Someone must know.
Old 14 June 2010, 10:57 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The standard STi springs were black. The Prodrive springs were pink.
Take a look to see what colour they are? If I recall, the WR1 had the Prodrive springs, so it sounds as if you may have standard items although the rear is lowered with the Prodrive ones, but the front more so.

JohnD
Old 16 June 2010, 09:23 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that tip. Turns out I have the STI springs.

My garage spoke to Eibach about their Pros, however Eibach advised they had nothing which would lower the car below the STI spring ride height (which is actually high IMO).

Anyone know which other springs I might look it. I'm surprised at the notion that there's nothing out there that can go a couple of cm lower than STI springs!
Old 16 June 2010, 10:39 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any lower than the Prodrive/Eibach springs would be for appearance only, the dampers would run out of movement and handling would suffer. You would need to look to a damper/spring kit such as Tein which can give 35/20 (adjustable) Tein replacement springs give 35/15

JohnD
Old 16 June 2010, 11:55 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Any lower than the Prodrive/Eibach springs would be for appearance only, the dampers would run out of movement and handling would suffer. You would need to look to a damper/spring kit such as Tein which can give 35/20 (adjustable) Tein replacement springs give 35/15

JohnD
Great, thanks John I'll look there. You're raise a good point tho, I don't want to ruin my handling just for appearance.