Pre-remap Bugeye WRX advice

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2010, 10:49 PM
RMII
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-remap Bugeye WRX advice

Hi All,

Car is an 01 WRX done 55k miles and just had full 60k major service last week.

Was purchased as a 100% unmolested example in April and is booked in for a remap in three weeks time.

Spec was going to be Full sports cat / decat system, decat uppipe, walbro 255, 3 Port Boost, Silicone Intercooler Hoses, K&N Panel and NGK PFR7Bs. However I realised that I have now purchased everything necessary to go to the next stage and so have been persuaded to pick up a TD05 16g to add to the list.

I really do not want to change the injectors or intercooler, will this be ok?Should I be worried about the longevity of the clutch and gearbox bearing in mind I always pull away below 2k and very rarely open her up before second or third gear, 2/3's of my driving is dual carriageway at circa 70mph.

Thanks
Old 11 June 2010, 11:07 PM
scooby1929
Scooby Regular

I think you will definately need bigger injectors!! But most important is brakes. Bear in mid your car is 9 years old so your putting alot more strain on an already worn gearbox, clutch etc. My advice would be dont tune it if you cant afford to fix it. I know thats not what people want to hear. Buying a Subaru is the easy part. Maintaining it is another especially if you modify it!!

Goodluck
Old 11 June 2010, 11:28 PM
RMII
Scooby Regular

You are right it is not what I want to hear, but I did ask for advice and value your views!

On the plus side it is relatively low mileage and seems to be a looked after example, I basically spent the kind of money that would have bought an 80k plus 03/04/05 model on trying to find a clean example of an earlier car. Condition and history are more important to me than age.

Does tuning really equal disaster just because a car is more than five years old?
Will tuners ever map conservatively, I'd sooner have a reliable 250bhp but get the impression everything is geared toward maximum power?

Thanks again for your input and I do of course understand that to an extent the greater the power the greater the strain on the car.
Old 11 June 2010, 11:33 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

mines on 85k and would not remap it if it was a new car i would hope youve got a big bank balance because i had a cosworth sierra go on me and my wife can never forgive me for the money i spent on it
Old 11 June 2010, 11:53 PM
RMII
Scooby Regular

I would probably not be looking to instigate a remap had the car already covered 75k plus, the majority of those on Scoobynet appear to have had a remap, I was of the opinion that a scoob could be tuned reliably provided the modifications were chosen carefully and mapped properly. Am I kidding myself?

I am not after silly bhp from a WRX but would just like it to be done properly and only once.
Old 12 June 2010, 12:00 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front entry TD05 16 G is a tough critter and mapped agressively could lunch the bugeye WRX drivetrain.

My advice would be to fit what you have and have a very carefull chat with the mapper

Bob Rawle mapped my bugeye WRX a good few years ago with a TD05 16G with a view to the drivetrain and what it could take

My advice would be to find an STi intercooler, some STi pink injectors (there are some for sale on SN) and run the car at 300 ish BHP

Stick to the aforementioned, Don't do any more to the car as it's a law of diminishing returns

I ran my bugeye with the above and loved it...... (eibach springs and better brakes)....I never thought it would break or decide to kill me !!

I currently run my WRX at 400 odd BHP with more mods and I just wonder what is going to die next

Who is mapping the car ?

Cheers

Shaun
Old 12 June 2010, 12:00 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Double post

Trending Topics

Old 12 June 2010, 12:03 AM
RMII
Scooby Regular

Hi Nick, can you expand a little, what level of tune is your car and do you have many problems?

Originally Posted by nick schofield
mines on 85k and would not remap it if it was a new car i would hope youve got a big bank balance because i had a cosworth sierra go on me and my wife can never forgive me for the money i spent on it
Are you saying you would not map/tune "a new to you" 85k miles car or that you would not map full stop?

Is 270-290 bhp in a wrx really that bad driven sensibly? Which I do as it is my daily transport for 15k miles per annum.

Originally I had only intended on just removing cats to improve flow and mapping to avoid damage, other mods are really just intended to compliment / enhance reliability of work, bigger turbo could still be disposed of at this stage, would also like conservative map i.e. 1.1 bar boost but get the impression this is not how it is done.

Last edited by RMII; 12 June 2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12 June 2010, 12:09 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

The Bugeye WRX left the factory strangled in terms of performance as it could not be seen to compete with the STi...

I ran my Bugeye WRX with a TD05 in 2002/3 which is a good number of years ago... Sympathetically mapped by Bob Rawle to 325 BHP and looking back on it was prabably the best "bang per buck" change

Shaun
Old 12 June 2010, 12:10 AM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RMII
Hi Nick, can you expand a little, what level of tune is your car and do you have many problems?

Are you saying you would not map/tune "a new to you" 85k miles car or that you would not map full stop?

Is 270-290 bhp in a wrx really that bad driven sensibly? Which I do as it is my daily transport for 15k miles per annum.

Originally I had only intended on just removing cats to improve flow and mapping to avoid damage, other mods are really just intended to compliment / enhance reliability of work, bigger turbo could still be disposed of at this stage, would also like conservative map i.e. 1.1 bar boost but get the impression this is not how it is done.
mines running 240 bhp with a prodrive backbox decatted centre and the pipe before the up pipe why spend a load of money on 30 bhp more
Old 12 June 2010, 12:14 AM
RMII
Scooby Regular

Hi Midlife, It is booked in with Bob Rawle, perhaps I should stick with the smaller turbo? I plan to just do this the once as you have said law of diminishing returns...TBH I would be reasonably satisfied anywhere between 250-300, If I want to go further I think I would change to STi PPP, STi remap or another model. Reliability is pretty important to me as it is my everyday car and the bank balance is very average, plus I hate having to fork out on repairs. I have no issues spending money on upkeep but I don't like having to fix things!

Also economy I would like to keep it in the high twenties (2/3 motorway plodding) and am thinking bigger injectors would equal £££££'s obviously I do not want it to run lean, but would be satisfied with a safe low level map on either turbo...? To fit or not to fit...!
Old 12 June 2010, 12:14 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

..Looking back on doing it 8 years ago John Banks helped with advice, Mark aigin sorted out the fuel, Andy Forrest The Turbo, many others with the exhaust side of things and Bob Rawle the remap......plus loads of others. Thousands of pounds worth of Mods !!

Now it's all water under the bridge and racedynamix can map it for a fraction of the price LOL

http://www.racedynamix.com/new/

Early adopters LOL

Shaun
Old 12 June 2010, 12:15 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

RMII

I've modded my car for years and believe me when Bob Rawle mapped my front Entry TD0516G in my bugeye it was like beelzebub and his demons had taken over the car and launched it at the horizon

Believe me the TD04 you have will never do this (I had my TD04 EcuTeK mapped)

The bugeye WRX has a lot of limitations and my advice would be to spent the money once and once only......get a STi TMIC and a TD05 /VF35 and stop there.

In pure performance terms you will have an STi killer

Bob Will map the car to be very progressive, accelleration just goes on forever (bob will raise the rev cut) and overtaking will be a pleasure.......and a lot more.

Just have a word with Bob "guru" Rawle

HTH

Shaun

Last edited by Midlife......; 12 June 2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12 June 2010, 12:36 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/wanted-18/...or-bigger.html

Blimey these are cheap and from a well known SN guy (Ricey) too......

Shaun
Old 12 June 2010, 12:39 AM
RMII
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice Midlife (and scooby1929 + Nick Schofield).

You seem to have a good understanding of what i'm after, 90% of my driving is at peak times where I like to keep up with traffic and no more, on the single carriageways I may nip past the odd car or two but when there are lines of traffic it seems pretty pointless, I do like the occasional B road blast but tend to drive with mechanical sympathy and safety in mind, never launches etc...
Old 12 June 2010, 07:19 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I have an 03 WRX which i have owned from new. I started my modding in 2004 and have only stopped due to the WRX limitations! LOL.
I have a VF34 and had to fit the STI injectors, etc. It was ok/good, then i decided to then fit an STI TMIC, bonnet scoop, undertray, and let Bob Rawle map it for me.
Then it was bloody good. I havea big regret with mods on my car, dont buy aftermarket headers, stick with OEM or ported oem headers. LOL
The mods you mention will bring the car to life BUT think and discuss carefully your brake set up as you will require them!
I dont launch it, but at times i do drive it and floor it. The hard thing is, the more power you have, the more respect you need for it. Once you floor it and get going, you are travelling so fast before you know it that you really do have to make sure you have the safe space with which to use it!
Speaking from my experiences, I would not have bought the WRX and in your case should have gotten an STI. But thats just imho.
Enjoy it! I Still have mine and it is modded, mapped, and on 95k miles.
Old 12 June 2010, 11:56 AM
RMII
Scooby Regular

I probably should have bought an STi, insurance, mpg and other running costs are all a factor, plus I don't very often stop for picnics and so didn't need the extra large table strapped to the bootlid! - That'll be the jealousy coming out!

I will get round to suspension and brakes if I decide to keep the car for a while but I don't think I want to uprate calipers themselves due to costs. I am hoping that the expenditure / mods will keep me interested in the car more than 6 months which is how often I normally change.

Approx 25 cars in 12 years so far all sold through boredom, so it isn't at all strange when people have only had the car a year and are selling it! Would like to keep this one over the magic year mark ideally

Last edited by RMII; 12 June 2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12 June 2010, 12:01 PM
RMII
Scooby Regular

MaDaSS has your car been relatively / comparatively reliable during your ownership?