New Engine Required - UK 2000

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2010, 01:42 PM
g00gl3r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Engine Required - UK 2000

I have a scooby, a UK one made in 2000.

I think the oil pump had gone or something as the engine seized after the temp suddenly raised. I did pull over but it was too late, tried to bump it thinking it was starter motor but then tried to turn the crank and it wouldn't turn.

Soooooo. I'm looking for a new engine to stick in it and am wondering if you guys can point me in the right direction and advise me if it would be okay to stick an STi engine in it, and if so, would I need the ECU etc too?

Anything else I need to be thinking about?
Old 04 June 2010, 01:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As your new we shall keep to the basics
Stick with what is in there already, like for like, recommend a rebuild rather than a tatty "reconditioned" unit (especially from some of the companies out there like SMR etc), dont think of going "STI", they all have the same rods so they all fail just as easily
Now give a general location and you will be pointed in the right direction of who to go and see/call about getting your car sorted (it wont be cheap but doing it once is cheaper than doing it 3 times )

Tony
Old 04 June 2010, 02:00 PM
g00gl3r
Scooby Regular

Tony,

Cheers for the quick response. I'm in Staffordshire.

I'll stick with the same engine then. I don't know if I could be bothered to go through the investigation process and what I've always found to be hard to get a price on until the car's in bits by which time it's probably too late to just get a re-con as I'd have spent money on getting somebody to strip it.

So unless somebody has a fixed price for rebuilding (which is probably too much to ask) I think I'll go down the re-con route.

I'm hoping to find a reputable re-con firm and simply buy an engine and spend a weekend swapping it over with a more clued up mate who's a VW mechanic and has all the right tools.

So I'm guessing I need to avoid SMR then? Anybody else I should stay away from?
Old 04 June 2010, 02:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

API can do a fixed price rebuild, they are in coventry so not that far from you and the recon route really is not a good idea as there are far too many lemons out there and plenty of companies selling "reconditioned" engines (gunk and silver spray paint )

Tony
Old 04 June 2010, 02:20 PM
g00gl3r
Scooby Regular

Tony,

Who's API then mate? I'll give them a tinkle to see what they charge.
Old 04 June 2010, 02:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

http://apiengines.com/index3.php

Tony
Old 04 June 2010, 02:59 PM
g00gl3r
Scooby Regular

I'm being told by a mate that Scooby's don't heat seize often due to the heads being poo on them. Is there anything I can do to check if it is actually seized and not something else?

Trending Topics

Old 04 June 2010, 03:09 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony Burns leader of the race for " unofficial APi Sales person of the year 2010 "

It's usually a crank failure and we can rebuild what you have with the engine supplied out of the car for £1000.00 + VAT. New crank, ACL race bearings, genuine Subaru gaskets and seals used - limited warranty [ I.E. limited to the parts we replace not the whole engine ]

Mileage might mean a set of piston rings is required but we'll advise once we see.

David APi 01926 614333

Our new rolling road is ready to roll.

Agents for:

Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Hayward & Scott exhausts
Carbonetics clutches
BC suspension
Samco hose kits
Hybrid front mount intercooler kits
AP Racing brakes and clutches
Performance friction products

And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com
www.apiimpreza.com
Old 04 June 2010, 03:10 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Double post - ******** system !!
Old 04 June 2010, 03:34 PM
g00gl3r
Scooby Regular

Any way I can find out if it is the crank and whatnot then? Any type of test or anything I can do?

Wouldn't want to get the engine out, send it to you, and then find it's totalled and will cost far more than its worth etc etc
Old 04 June 2010, 03:40 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

You could always pick up a knocking short motor for around £3.50 and have that reconned if you think yours has suffered terminal damage. I've got two in the garage, it's almost as if it happens regularly
Old 04 June 2010, 03:49 PM
g00gl3r
Scooby Regular

TBH I just wanted to buy an engine after seeing it running and sticking it in but it's proving hard to do.

I can see a rebuild opening a can of worms at my expense. As they always do. And once it's out and somebody has started to look at it the bills start coming in before you've even spoken about what you might do with it, sort of thing.

I'm in two minds.
Old 04 June 2010, 04:05 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Not at APi Our rep works on the basis that we do what we say, at the cost we say. Of course we would be better able to " guarantee " a price once we see a car, rather than rely upon another persons diagnosis.

It is rare in a crank failure situation that we go over budget. Many on here will confirm that.

David
Old 04 June 2010, 04:18 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Take it to David, end of story. He's just rebuilt my STi engine. Price up front and stuck to. Great service, you won't regret it.
Old 04 June 2010, 04:21 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g00gl3r
TBH I just wanted to buy an engine after seeing it running and sticking it in but it's proving hard to do.
The main problem with that approach is that you have no idea how that engine has been maintained and whether it is carrying any underlying problems that'll have you back in the same boat.

I can see a rebuild opening a can of worms at my expense. As they always do. And once it's out and somebody has started to look at it the bills start coming in before you've even spoken about what you might do with it, sort of thing.
There are a few cowboy operations like that around. APi isn't one of them.
Old 04 June 2010, 04:25 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Tony,

Cheers for the quick response. I'm in Staffordshire.

I'll stick with the same engine then. I don't know if I could be bothered to go through the investigation process and what I've always found to be hard to get a price on until the car's in bits by which time it's probably too late to just get a re-con as I'd have spent money on getting somebody to strip it.

So unless somebody has a fixed price for rebuilding (which is probably too much to ask) I think I'll go down the re-con route.

I'm hoping to find a reputable re-con firm and simply buy an engine and spend a weekend swapping it over with a more clued up mate who's a VW mechanic and has all the right tools.

So I'm guessing I need to avoid SMR then? Anybody else I should stay away from?
Fixed price full recon no matter what we find when we strip on that car £1800.00 + VAT engine only, no car.

Won't change.

Think about the clutch, think about the flywheel which are not included in the above.

David
Old 04 June 2010, 04:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'm in two minds.
The can of worms is buying a recon engine from the less reputable people out there, 2k of your hard earned money gone, no comeback, no engine, 1 dead car, 2 broken engines, so API do a fair few bits of work on the Subaru's here, you wont hear a bad thing about them from the guys off here, or you could take your chances on a recon from a breakers?

I have a saying, "if you cant do it right the first time, dont do it", as Splitpin has stated, you dont know what the engine is out of or how many miles its done when you buy a recon (just search smr/ideal engines, lots of happy customers who buy 2k's worth of junk off em )

Tony
Old 04 June 2010, 07:04 PM
g00gl3r
Scooby Regular

I bought the car for £1500 a few months ago. I'm sort of thinking I stick a running engine in it and ebay it. Then buy a newer year one.

My mate just dropped on a prodrive 300, 54 plate, a little over 5k! One owner, low mileage and the guy had sent it subaru to get a new gearbox and something else done before he sold it so he didn't have comebacks. A mint buy, not a scratch, ding or anything wrong with it. I wish I'd have found that before he did! I've seen a cat-d for 9k on a 52 on ebay right now!

I don't know how I manage to end up paying thousands everytime on cars worth peanuts! Does my bloody head in! Got a MR2 with a mint engine but shed loads wrong with the everything else, brakes, clutch, wheels buckled, tyres bald, the red paint turning pink etc etc.

I'm just a bit reluctant to spend 1800+ vodka and tonic on a car worth not much over 2.5k at best. I could get another for that and break this if I could be bothered unscrew everything, ebay everything, and deal with hundreds of tyre kickers and end up with an annoyed mrs putting up with car parts all over the place.

What would you guys do?
Old 04 June 2010, 07:24 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

API have their own flatbed too

Shaun
Old 05 June 2010, 12:39 AM
tathan
Scooby Regular

I'd probably break it if you're not interested in keeping it. Or put it up on here for a grand and see if anyone wants it? Someone with a bashed one or a ****ter might want to put their engine + bits in it.
Old 05 June 2010, 08:24 AM
stephen beynon
Scooby Regular

Hi there can you confirm if it is a year 2000 classic shape turbo 2000 you need the engine for as I have an engine comeing out of my car as I have gone 2.1 if you are intrested pm me