Notices

Boost Question

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2010, 11:15 AM
konachris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Question

What kind of boost should i expect to see from a newage wrx?

I've recently installed a boost gauge and it's only showing a peak of 8Psi (0.5 Bar)
Is this right?
I don't know why, but i expected it to be more?

The turbo is a refurbished stock unit from Turbo Dynamics and the car pulls like a train so i don't think its down on power.
Old 24 May 2010, 11:21 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should see about 1 bar from a standard WRX. Could be a number of issues:

1. Car is in limp home mode and restricted to 0.5bar - do you have a engine management light illuminated? If not you can likely discount this.
2. The restrictor pill in the pipework is missing and the car is only making wastegate boost. Check the vacuum hoses coming from the turbo and you should feel a solid lump, it is a brass pill with a 1mm hole. If you have silicone hoses this is the most likely problem as someone may have not realised this existed and thrown it away with the old hoses. Replacement about £4 from subaru, or make one
3. Boost solenoid is knackered. If all else fails this could be the problem, and it may be dirty and seized in which case you may be able to clean it out with some brake cleaner, you'll need to do a search on here for how to as I cannot remember the detail. It could be completely knackered and replacements can be had on here cheap. I have one for sale for £25 now I have an uprated set-up.

Jon
Old 24 May 2010, 11:33 AM
konachris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
You should see about 1 bar from a standard WRX. Could be a number of issues:

1. Car is in limp home mode and restricted to 0.5bar - do you have a engine management light illuminated? If not you can likely discount this.
2. The restrictor pill in the pipework is missing and the car is only making wastegate boost. Check the vacuum hoses coming from the turbo and you should feel a solid lump, it is a brass pill with a 1mm hole. If you have silicone hoses this is the most likely problem as someone may have not realised this existed and thrown it away with the old hoses. Replacement about £4 from subaru, or make one
3. Boost solenoid is knackered. If all else fails this could be the problem, and it may be dirty and seized in which case you may be able to clean it out with some brake cleaner, you'll need to do a search on here for how to as I cannot remember the detail. It could be completely knackered and replacements can be had on here cheap. I have one for sale for £25 now I have an uprated set-up.

Jon
1) I do have the engine management light on but i think thats because the lambada sensor isn't connected as i've got a de-cat pipe on the car...
2) Still got the stock vacum hosing on there, i'll have a feel around @ lunch...
Old 24 May 2010, 11:38 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the lambda is not connected the fuelling will be out and that is probably what is causing your problems. It will cut the boost to 0.5 bar to prevent damage to a car that is running either too lean or too rich. You should still be able to connect your lambda even with a decat pipe fitted and I would recommend you do.
Old 24 May 2010, 01:43 PM
konachris
Scooby Regular

Daft question- how many lambda sensors should i have?

When removing the old exhaust I can only remember there being one plugged into the piping (on the CAT), if this is the only one do i jst drill and tap this sensor into the new exhaust?

Last edited by konachris; 24 May 2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 25 May 2010, 10:56 AM
konachris
Scooby Regular

Ok so ignore my previous postings- after looking at this diagram:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...st-diagram.jpg

All i've done is unplug the rear O2 sensor not the lambda...

I guess i'll have to check the vaccum hosing to see if the brass bit is in there and/or check the boost solenoid