Notices

REMAPPING A STANDARD WRX

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2010, 01:59 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool REMAPPING A STANDARD WRX

What am i likely to get from a standard uk bugeye wrx All i have done so far in the weeks i have owned it is afterburner center and prodrive back box,

Looking to get it remapped in the next few weeks or so, So what am i likely to get put of it with regards to BHP from the standard ECU ?
Old 22 May 2010, 02:21 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NEILB1
What am i likely to get from a standard uk bugeye wrx All i have done so far in the weeks i have owned it is afterburner center and prodrive back box,

Looking to get it remapped in the next few weeks or so, So what am i likely to get put of it with regards to BHP from the standard ECU ?
the ecu isn't the limiting factor, the ecu could with supporting mods probably accommodate more power than you would ever need, your problem is that you still have the cats fitted (3 of them) and the tdo4 turbo will hold you back aswell, my recomendations are before you have a remap are,

completely decat including up-pipe
find alternative turbo, tdo5 front entry would be ideal,
fit sti pinks or adjustable fpr
walbro fuel pump.

with the above mods you will easily see 300+bhp.
Old 22 May 2010, 02:27 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

thankyou very much for that, How would i go about everyday driving though with say the TD05 and full decat on the car, OR any of the other mods,

Or would it be a cse of fitting everything at the same time and towing it to the mapping centre ?

fprgot to mention as well it 02 newage
Old 22 May 2010, 02:35 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

thankyou very much for that, How would i go about everyday driving though with say the TD05 and full decat on the car, OR any of the other mods,

Or would it be a cse of fitting everything at the same time and towing it to the mapping centre ?

fprgot to mention as well it 02 newage

fit everything at the same time and drive it off boost to the mapper or they can come to you, i would recommend Andrew Carr to do your mapping, he is not a million miles away from you either.
Old 22 May 2010, 02:48 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

If you got your car mapped today, exactly as it is without making any further physical modifications, you would probably find it in the 250-260bhp area. If you removed the cats, you would be up to the 280-290 mark, maybe a little more.

If you want to go significantly above 300 you will, as has been said, need to change the turbo as well as the injectors/fuel setup, but before recommending a specific direction, it would be better for you to tell us what you're looking for and how much you want to spend to get there.

If you did fit all the bits prior to mapping the car should be safe to drive off boost - although you may, for example, want to keep the standard injectors fitted, or, as above, use a mapper who comes to you.

There's already loads written on this subject so the best thing to recommend at this point is a click of the search button, or simply a good read down the forum.
Old 22 May 2010, 02:55 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Neil, I have done this on the cheap. it may be worth a little patience to find all the parts you require at a cheap price. Then remap, itll be worth it.

I have everything I need now and will fit it all just prior to getting a remap done, most likely by Dynamix (he travels and is well thought of)
Old 22 May 2010, 08:54 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

What are you after and what is your budget?
Fast road car 280 bhp, with decent suspension and brakes.
Achievable with decat,remap.
If you want more bigger turbo, injectors, decat, remap
Sorted suspension and brakes will make your car far quicker point to point than just chasing big bhp numbers .
Old 22 May 2010, 08:59 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day lads i will be very happy with 300hp till i get board of tht then further hp in the fucture, I think i will just buy everything needed then get a remap done when it is all fitted,

But on the other hand with all the cats removed and a remap as stated 280-290hp i think will be fine seems alot just to get the extra say 10-15hp out of the car to get over the 300hp mark,
Old 22 May 2010, 09:55 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

My advice is to deffinately source a bigger turbo, vf30/vf35 etc. If you're spending out a lot to get the remap you may as well spend another 300 and get a turbo capable of 320-340bhp.

I know you say about a decatted setup maxing td04 being close but why not go for a 2nd hand prodrive sports cat downpipe (do come up for less than some decat downpipes) and fit vf30, then you'll have a lot more power and torque plus you won't have to mess around at mot time and risk hassle from plod (on roadside tests)
Old 23 May 2010, 08:12 AM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

thanks for tht i will keep my eye out now for a turbo and prodrive sports cat
Old 23 May 2010, 05:03 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

thanks for tht i will keep my eye out now for a turbo and prodrive sports cat
James's sums don't quite add up in that any turbo change will require additional expenditure on fuel system modifications (principally injectors, probably pump) to support them - so it's not just "another 300" you need to spend on another turbo, you need to budget for the supporting mods too.

Also, as S70 has said, your porky WRX could do with better stopping and handling before you start adding too much power, so don't neglect this aspect.

Search is your friend - there are so many people who've been down this road with your sort of car before that there will be plenty of examples of what can be done for a given amount of money - and no doubt a few cautionary tales too.
Old 23 May 2010, 05:09 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

As an addendum to Splitpin's reply above, I have a Bug WRX, and bought a VF35 (£240), pink injectors (£80), STI TMIC (£180), PFR7B Sparkies (£28), Prodrive sportcat (£120), second decat pipe (£40ish), centre deres pipe (£10), Afterburner Vortex backbox (£90, after I sold the de-res I had to buy with it for £60), classic up-pipe (£5). That covers the go. For the stop I bought a secondhand Godspeed 335mm brake upgrade with all discs pads and calipers for £300, and the stop is there, let me tell you.

Moral of the story is, bargains are there to be had if you are patient.

P.S. I hope to get 320bhp out of that, but who knows! It might just go pop, then its back to the drawing board!
Old 23 May 2010, 06:09 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

i think the best thing will be to just take my time and like you have sais Myles bargins are to be had out there, just time and they will show up, I am watching a vf34 turbo at the min the last one was snatched from under me,
Old 23 May 2010, 06:35 PM
n20ckb
Scooby Regular

Hi

i have in the last 6 months just done this conversion vf35 pinks etc and have to say definately the way to go, weakest point now aparentley is the gearbox

as said too just get the bits slowly doesn't hurt so bad that way.
if you know anyone with the same spec go out in it and your mind should be made up instantly

mapped by DYNAMIX and very happy
Old 23 May 2010, 06:53 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

300 bhp mark is relativly cheap to get to, and Yes Andrew Carr is the man for you, PM me for his detais.

280 - 300 as mentioned above with decats is the easiest option for around £600, but to get close you 330bhp will cost you a further £800 or so, then 350bhp a further £800 or so.

The latter will require an Uprated Turbo, complete decat 2.5" or 3" inc decat up pipe, STI TMIC, STI Inj, Walbro, maybe a few more bits.

All depends on what you want the car to do really.

HTH
Rob
Old 23 May 2010, 07:13 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
As an addendum to Splitpin's reply above, I have a Bug WRX, and bought a VF35 (£240), pink injectors (£80), STI TMIC (£180), PFR7B Sparkies (£28), Prodrive sportcat (£120), second decat pipe (£40ish), centre deres pipe (£10), Afterburner Vortex backbox (£90, after I sold the de-res I had to buy with it for £60), classic up-pipe (£5). That covers the go. For the stop I bought a secondhand Godspeed 335mm brake upgrade with all discs pads and calipers for £300, and the stop is there, let me tell you.

Moral of the story is, bargains are there to be had if you are patient.

P.S. I hope to get 320bhp out of that, but who knows! It might just go pop, then its back to the drawing board!
Hi Rob, what would be expected from the parts I mentioned above, with a remap by Dynamix, and what would you add to get it singing?

Sorry to hijack the OP but the reply may help him.
Old 23 May 2010, 07:21 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

should get 320 out of that if run on vpower Myles. Seen many make more than that with those mods and be very happy with it too
Old 23 May 2010, 07:25 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
should get 320 out of that if run on vpower Myles. Seen many make more than that with those mods and be very happy with it too
Thanks for that, more would always be nice but a 100bhp increase from standard on the meagre outlay Ive made is phenomenal. I shall be speaking to you soon, payslip and bank acct balance dependant, Duncan! Busy next month, and is it still £350?
Old 23 May 2010, 07:28 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for that, more would always be nice but a 100bhp increase from standard on the meagre outlay Ive made is phenomenal. I shall be speaking to you soon, payslip and bank acct balance dependant, Duncan! Busy next month, and is it still £350?
Yep - still £350.
Old 23 May 2010, 07:42 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Hi Rob, what would be expected from the parts I mentioned above, with a remap by Dynamix, and what would you add to get it singing?

Sorry to hijack the OP but the reply may help him.
As Dynamix said 320 easily, Some cars make a lot more and some just do not. I was advised to get a STI decat up-pipe (around £40 ish) with mine as there are around 42mm ish which helps with spool, the inferior eBay up-pipes are 2" which are poo, do not use either.

The mappers should know what you get as this is there Forté. If I was you id ring around or email some with your spec to see what you should expect to gain even if you are using Dynamix or not for the map. If I was to hazard a guess at your spec list id say 340/300 ish give or take. Im sure someone will contradict and some will agree, but thats cars for you. Every car is different, the same mods and maps on two different cars will act very differently in my honest opinion.

Another area to watch is the Gearbox..... NPS are usualy in need of replacing once more torque runs throught the box, this is only a 10min job to replace and only costs around £40. Ive read on here that some 5 speed boxes have seen anything 480/420, but to be honest I stripped mine with simular mods to yours..... lucklily I was in need of a clutch replacement and landed a box the very next weekend and bought a new exedy amd light flywheel for £680 all in . Car then sold a week later unfortuatly .

HTH
Rob
Old 23 May 2010, 08:54 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

bloody good learning curve all this for me, So much more involved with the jap turbo cars
Old 23 May 2010, 08:59 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UK300 PRODRIVE
As Dynamix said 320 easily, Some cars make a lot more and some just do not. I was advised to get a STI decat up-pipe (around £40 ish) with mine as there are around 42mm ish which helps with spool, the inferior eBay up-pipes are 2" which are poo, do not use either.

The mappers should know what you get as this is there Forté. If I was you id ring around or email some with your spec to see what you should expect to gain even if you are using Dynamix or not for the map. If I was to hazard a guess at your spec list id say 340/300 ish give or take. Im sure someone will contradict and some will agree, but thats cars for you. Every car is different, the same mods and maps on two different cars will act very differently in my honest opinion.

Another area to watch is the Gearbox..... NPS are usualy in need of replacing once more torque runs throught the box, this is only a 10min job to replace and only costs around £40. Ive read on here that some 5 speed boxes have seen anything 480/420, but to be honest I stripped mine with simular mods to yours..... lucklily I was in need of a clutch replacement and landed a box the very next weekend and bought a new exedy amd light flywheel for £680 all in . Car then sold a week later unfortuatly .

HTH
Rob
I have two up-pipes in actual fact, one classic up-pipe and one Japspeed decat up-pipe.

Also can you run the NPS thing past me, Itd be a good thing to do to help the box cope with the extra torques!
Old 23 May 2010, 10:00 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

I have two up-pipes in actual fact, one classic up-pipe and one Japspeed decat up-pipe.

Also can you run the NPS thing past me, Itd be a good thing to do to help the box cope with the extra torques!
The NPS will not do anything to help the box cope, but what happens in most cases of a 8 yr old box is that extra torque puts strain on the transmission and slightly pushes the NPS (Neutral Position Switch) out of place, thus the Engine check light comes on and if like me occasionaly puts the car in limp mode (which can be embarrassing on the rolling road as i found out )

Best price ive seen these is on eBay, but unless its broke dont fix it. Save your £40 for now as its simple to fix and doesnt harm your car if it fails. Please note if you do experience this problem and you get the car plugged in to the OBD reader, the code will flag up misfire 1-4 as it hasnt got its own code for the NPS, sometime Lamda sensor OBD code flashes up too.... if you get these you know what it is .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-SUBARU...item414e812a27
Old 23 May 2010, 10:04 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Myles - One other thing you could do with changing is the fuel pump. Walbro will take you around 30min to do yourself. I think Lateral has them for £71 last I looked.

HTH
Rob
Old 23 May 2010, 10:17 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rob, do you know anything of the HRC 255LPH fuel pumps?
Old 23 May 2010, 10:32 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rob, do you know anything of the HRC 255LPH fuel pumps?

No mate, but im sure someone on here will pipe up.

Walbro - http://lateralperformance.co.uk/sect...6623ebe702371c