Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2010, 12:54 PM
Doormouse
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infuriating wobble at speed

Afternoon all,

Hope someone can help as its driving me mental..... the story:

Replaced my cracked OZs on my 03 blobeye wagon WRX with a set of BBS RC's. The BBS however were the wrong offset so i have approx 4mm machined from the mounting face. I then had the tyres swapped over to the BBS , wheels balanced and fitted and away i went. for 3 days and around 200 miles everything was fine then after taking a corner at relatively high speed (M25 clockwise to M2 southbound sliproad approx 70mph) i noticed a wobble at motorway speed, i thought i had a puncture, but no, so i checked the wheel nuts, all were fine so slowly made it home and had the company who changed the tyres recheck the balancing, one was slightly out so reweighted and refitted.
NO change, wobble still there so had another firm check them at further cost, they said the last firm had 'counterbalanced' two wheels by placing weights at opposite sides of the wheel so i thought that was cause, so all newly balanced and no..... still there.

Obviously the new wheels are chief suspect but what i cant understand is:

If the machining was out on one or more of the wheels why was it fine for 200 miles?

and also, why was it possible for 2 seperate companys to balance them on their new fangled machines without picking up a problem with the wheels? would it be because there machines lock wheels on via the center bore as apposed to the mounting face?

the center bore is 1mm larger on the bbs, would this cause it?

also worth noting that car will accelerate and brake in a straight line when not holding steering wheel, there is no audible noise at speed or on full lock or anything that points toward wheel earing/cv, the virbations come mostly through the seat and pedals, not so much the steering wheel and will not go away even at speeds upto 100mph, and the final thing is that it seems to tramline now, especially in lorry tracks in slowlanes which it never used to..... would tracking cause the vibration

im trying to find someone to loan me a set of wheels to test but any ideas you have would be most welcome.

Last edited by Doormouse; 27 April 2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 27 April 2010, 08:38 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

the center bore is 1mm larger on the bbs, would this cause it?

Might do, get a set of spigot rings to match the correct bore (if available)