Notices

1999 impreza turbo - heater blower not working?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2010, 07:09 PM
jeff121
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 impreza turbo - heater blower not working?

Hi guys would like to introduce myself first as its my first post to this forum, i have a 1999 uk spec 2.0 turbo impreza, i have owned imprezas in the past and never had any faults with them, so recently i decided to sell the vw and buy an impreza again, however as ive baught it home it seems the heater is not blowing any air? when you click the switch on you can hear a click but no heater power or air.

would just like to asks if anybody else has had this problem or not? if so where would be best to inspect first? i have checked the fuses inside and outside, but dont seem to see where the fault is, is there any relayes, switches or common places that would be ideal to check?

any help is much appreciated guys

jeff
Old 15 April 2010, 07:33 PM
richgreenscooby1
Scooby Regular

sounds like heater motor knackerd to me .
rich
Old 16 April 2010, 01:54 PM
jeff121
Scooby Newbie

hi thanks for the reply, hmm im not sure what it is, was wondering where would be best to inspect next i have checked standard fuses, was wondering if there could be any relay switches or the other fuses under the bonnet which may be faulty? or would you recommend going straight to the heater blower? and replacing that, ive read that its supposed to be quite a complex job to do?

thanks again
Old 16 April 2010, 02:40 PM
nks
Scooby Regular

I had this issue on my Impreza, trned out to be a blown fuse underneath the dash in the drivers footwell, if you'[ve already checked these - then maybe get an electrical tester and check power is still coming up to the switches and so on.
Old 16 April 2010, 03:14 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

As above check all the fuses first, and there should also be a relay switching the fan on and off, so as nks says, a voltmeter would be very handy. However someone's told you replacing the motor is complex, they need their head read (or maybe got confused and thought you were talking about the heater matrix or something!).

The motor is actually very simple to remove/test/change. If you stick your head in the front passenger footwell and look up behind the glovebox you'll see it sticking down. Three screws and a connector and it's off.
Old 18 April 2010, 09:23 PM
jeff121
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the info split pin, intend to look in to the issue tomorrow in more detail, goin to see all connections to the heater blower if not that then get a current tester. will get back to you about it soon.

thanks again
Old 28 June 2010, 01:13 PM
jeff121
Scooby Newbie

hi guys sorry for the very late rely, id given up on the car and its just been sat on my drive, well ive decided to have another go at sorting this out, now i have checked the fuses, swapped some of the relay plugs around from under the bonnet to see if it may have been a faulty relay, i have took the glove compartment out to see if there is a 4 pin relay plug which may be faulty, however my car doesnt have one in that location, i have pulled the plug from the blower to see what volt reading i am getting, only from one wire i get around 11/12 volts, the other 3/4 wires dont have a reading? im completely confused and need my ventilation fan working please if anybody could help that would be great. p.s when i turn the switch on i can hear a clicking noise front behind the driver side speedometer sort of area, but no air comes out of the vents at all?

could somebody advise where to check next as im out of ideas?

thanks
Old 29 June 2010, 10:53 AM
trogg
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you need to get to the fan and see if it spins. Could be seized up, or faulty motor.

The clicking sound will be a relay making to bring the fan on, and the 12 volts going to it sounds like that side is working. If you change the speed setting for the fan does the voltage change, or the wire the volyage is on change?
Old 29 June 2010, 11:09 AM
jeff121
Scooby Newbie

hi will be checking the voltage in a min, not really checked if it changes whilst changing speed on the switch, however i have realised that there is current only coming from one wire on the plug which goes in to the heater blower ? im not sure why there is no current coming from the other wires

will check and get back to you see if the volateg changes on diff speeds.
Old 29 June 2010, 11:16 AM
trogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jeff121
hi will be checking the voltage in a min, not really checked if it changes whilst changing speed on the switch, however i have realised that there is current only coming from one wire on the plug which goes in to the heater blower ? im not sure why there is no current coming from the other wires

will check and get back to you see if the volateg changes on diff speeds.
the motor can only run one one speed at a time.

p.s. don't mix up current and voltage, two different things.
Old 29 June 2010, 12:01 PM
jeff121
Scooby Newbie

hi the voltage from the first wire on the plug which goes in to the heater blower is 11.73v , but as i change the speed on the heater control it doesnt change. then i have tried to see the reading the other 4 wires, none of them have any voltage? no matter what speed i put the heater on there is not voltage reading, i have a pic of the plug which goes in

Name:  IMG00397-20100629-1140.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  91.9 KB

the wire on the left hand side gives a reading, however there is no voltage reading from the other wires. could anybody tell me where the other wires come from so i can check any connections or compnents whcih connect to them or are the other 4 wires supposed to not have any voltage?

please HELPP ITS DRIVING ME MAD!!!

Last edited by jeff121; 29 June 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 15 September 2010, 09:46 PM
roydenw1
Scooby Regular

I can sympathise..same problem here
Old 06 October 2010, 11:07 PM
roydenw1
Scooby Regular

i ended up wiring mine to the ignition for the cold months.
Old 05 December 2010, 12:55 PM
juss2309
Scooby Newbie

Is there an update to this thread - I've got exactly the same problem on my MY98!

Old 28 May 2011, 04:31 PM
PhunkMasterD
Scooby Regular

me too
Old 11 June 2013, 10:37 PM
championcat
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've actually had water leak in next to my fan motor. Dont know if its through it or by it. Better take it out and have a peek
Old 29 July 2013, 02:12 PM
Wellsie-WRX
Scooby Newbie

Default Fan not running

I have the same problem with my heater fan not running but also my rad fans run constantly? I don't think the problem is linked and thought maybe the switch to tell the fan to come on is broke. Where is the sensor/switch for the fans on rad. Oh it's a 97 wrx import.