Notices

Performance Modification Basics

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2010, 09:52 PM
cedlong
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Modification Basics

Hi, I have a 2005 WRX 300 PPP. I'm interested in knowing what the first stages of modifying a Scooby are. What do you do first? I would like the modifications to be reversible if possible, for when I eventually sell the car. That might not be possible in all cases, but for starters, what would you attempt to modify if you were interested in improving acceleration and handling?

Thanks,
Cedlong
Old 06 April 2010, 10:17 PM
Vesuvio
Scooby Regular

basic bolt on mods are popular, such as an uprated exhaust and an air-filter. You'd also need to remap the ECU to keep the air/fuel ratio etc proper as changing the OEM products to aftermarket ones will often change this. Remapping can also improve power and fuel economy in some instances too.

Handling- for basic you'd be looking at some lowering springs and maybe just a decent geometry setup/4 wheel alignment. Then maybe look at anti-roll bars, coilover suspension, strut-braces etc.

Just a basic run down as I'm still learning about all this too, I'm sure others can expand on this in more detail.
Old 06 April 2010, 10:55 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

hi mate and welcome,

list of goodies,
cat back exhaust or full de-cat
panel filter NOT an induction kit
better turbo
front mount intercooler(induction kit needed then)
larger injectors
ecu re-map or aftermarket ecu such as simtek, apexi, etc etc,
uprated fuel pump

the list can go on but 1 thing to remember a re-map is always best after any mods to make sure everythingis running sweet and happy or those mods will be nothing if the engine goes pop.

Mark
Old 06 April 2010, 11:23 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

basic question is how much do you want to spend?
Old 07 April 2010, 06:17 PM
cedlong
Scooby Newbie

Will a replacement panel filter do much? Do you know what improvement it makes? Also, if more air is getting into the combustion chamber, doesn't more fuel need to get in as well?

Sorry for the noob question
Old 07 April 2010, 06:37 PM
Setright
Scooby Regular

Handling:

Fit upgraded droplinks all round, and a thicker, adjustable if possible, rear anti-roll bar. Don't go overboard, 22m is PLENTY to balance the car very nicely.

Then, a four wheel alignment. I rate 0.0 toe on all for, and matching the front camber to the rear. Front adjusts, and you should be able to get -1.0 degree all round.

The handling will transform into neutral, but easily throttle adjustable.

Try these simple and low-priced mods first. They are quick to bolt on, on your driveway. New springs aren't difficult to do, but are more time consuming and I reckon you will be pleased with the above for a long time.

Then, once you get bored, spend the next load of dosh on new dampers and springs.
Old 07 April 2010, 08:50 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by cedlong
Hi, I have a 2005 WRX 300 PPP. I'm interested in knowing what the first stages of modifying a Scooby are. What do you do first? I would like the modifications to be reversible if possible, for when I eventually sell the car. That might not be possible in all cases, but for starters, what would you attempt to modify if you were interested in improving acceleration and handling?

Thanks,
Cedlong
As soon s the warranty expired on my 2005 WRX PPP I subtly modded it in the following order:
Brakes: Uprated discs,pads, braided hoses, DOT 5 fluid. I found the standard brakes faded badly after just a few spirited applictions. (£700)
Uprated rear 24mm anti roll bar with solid droplinks. Reduced understeer and body roll. (£270)
Full Milltek decat 3" exhaust, Walbro fuel pump, Ecutek remap. Huge improvement over the PPP (£1500)
Eibach lowering springs: mainly cosmetic, (not as big an impact on handling as the ARB, but not at all crashy .) with a fast road geometry setup, again reducing understeer further. (£500)
The car is now exactly as I want. Subtle, but plenty quick enough for me on road.
Old 07 April 2010, 10:41 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Make it corner and stop better first, and the car will cover ground much quicker, then chase power....

IMHO

dunx
Old 08 April 2010, 11:57 AM
jezza995
Scooby Regular

Agree with dunx

I've had bc coilovers fitted and 22mm rear ARB, these mods have transformed the car! Now have 330 front discs, ap racing 4 pots and STI strut brace waiting to be fitted. will then be looking to increase power.
Old 09 April 2010, 05:56 PM
cedlong
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your replies. In terms of brake discs and pads, can you suggest a good make and model without breaking (no pun intended) the bank?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11 April 2010, 04:20 AM
daijones
Scooby Regular

I've got the Godspeed 335mm upgrade:
http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/Subaru/subaru.htm
Very good value, previously I'd had upgraded disks (Tar*ox) and pads at the OEM size, and they didn't make that much difference. Alternatively have a look at the group buys, there were some deals on brakes going last I looked
Old 11 April 2010, 08:47 AM
bobby chang
Scooby Regular

Smile

It really depend on what you want and how you want it, almost every item can be upgraged and improved. The mod can goes on forever,then it becomes a total different engine. To maximize the potential of an standard engine, things like panel filter ( not oil's one), downpipe, fuel pump,etc, then get Ecutek remap after. Handling side, arb, bushes, strut brace, this way , keeping the engine in total standard form for easy DIY maintenance, also lightweight is a key to improvment too, things like pulleys, bonnet,flywheel, carbon proshaft. Nothing is perfect, anything can be improved.

Last edited by bobby chang; 11 April 2010 at 09:04 AM.