Notices

£4k budget for a forged rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2010, 07:37 PM
Olly.Wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £4k budget for a forged rebuild?

I have got a 1994 wrx and the head gasket has just gone on it.Im looking at booking my car up with triton motorsport in bournemouth.With a budget of £4k what sort of power should my engine be able to handle safely after i have a forged rebuild?
Also what parts will be changed?

I have emailed them but i will have to wait till tuesday for a reply as im guesing they will be shut over the bank holiday,and i just want to get a rough idea from people who have a rebuild costing 4k or less.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03 April 2010, 07:59 PM
scooby1982
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt bother mate, buy someone else project that thery are selling, matty br on here has a 2.3 cdb fully forged for sale for about 3-3.5 grand mate, imho i would go for one someone else has spent lots of money on and save about £500-1000 all daylong hope this helps.
Old 03 April 2010, 08:04 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't use Triton, had problems with them in the past.Are they well known for their engines? No. Get a decent engine builder to do it, Api, Alan Jeffery, etc. I had mine done at Api, £3.5k will see you what you want.

Mit
Old 03 April 2010, 08:30 PM
Olly.Wrx
Scooby Regular

Scooby1982, I want to just give my car straight to a company and let them rebuild my engine as then i know for 100% what spec the engine is and if i have any problems i can take it back to them.

Originally Posted by mit
I wouldn't use Triton, had problems with them in the past.Are they well known for their engines? No. Get a decent engine builder to do it, Api, Alan Jeffery, etc. I had mine done at Api, £3.5k will see you what you want.

Mit
I have seen a fair few people have used triton and they have only said good things about them,I did see your post tho about the problems you had.As my head gasket has gone its alot harder for me to get my car to a engine builder and i need to use a company which is close to me in west sussex,triton can come and collect my car on a trailer,then all i need to do is go and pick it up when they have done the work and its only about 60 miles from me so not to far,plus if i have any problems after the rebuild it will be alot easyer getting my car back to them,then say api or engineturner,which are a long way from me.
Old 03 April 2010, 10:02 PM
Olly.Wrx
Scooby Regular

Would i need to get a new ecu like a simtek at the same time as the rebuild or could i just get it mapped with the ecutek software?

Edit, Also has my 1994 wrx got a closed deck block?

Last edited by Olly.Wrx; 03 April 2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03 April 2010, 10:12 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Your 94 ecu isn't mappable, it's new ecu time. The simtek is very good.
Old 03 April 2010, 10:31 PM
Olly.Wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mit
Your 94 ecu isn't mappable, it's new ecu time. The simtek is very good.
Cheers i will go for the simtek,but thats not going to help my budget.
Old 04 April 2010, 08:38 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Olly.Wrx
Cheers i will go for the simtek,but thats not going to help my budget.
welcome to the world of subaru modification. save your money and do what you can now. not everyone has £20K to drop into a forged build. the more power you want the more expensive it becomes. Adding power to a classic car is an expensive way to go. you have stated that you like the shape of the classic but a newer model is much cheaper and easier to make big power gains.

remember its not the buying of the car that's expensive. it's upkeep that's a killer.

your forged build will cost you but as you have been told before it is the other stuff that adds up. turbo, breathing, spark, ecu, brakes, suspension, heads, manifolds, fuelling, drivetrain, gearbox, mapping. the engine is just the beginning.

add to this the cost of doing the work then you have a serious amount of money to spend if you want a car that is reliable. any fool can bolt on bits and talk a fast car car. very few people can actually do it. my advice get a mechanic who has a proven track record, has an enthusiasm for subarus, will not get the arm in when you ask him for advice by getting you to buy **** that you dont need.

Finally what do you want the car for. if it is for a daily driver, guys on here will tell you that big horsepower cars are not really daily drivers. they are just too fast.

If you want a fast car to boast in the pub then your doing it for the wrong reasons as there will always, and i mean always, be someone with more money than you, with a faster car than you.

just my 2p worth

Last edited by bigsinky; 04 April 2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04 April 2010, 08:57 AM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

I'd speak to Engine tuner/API first for a quote. just because its convenient doesnt make it right.
I know enginetuner can lend you a car also. If you have AA get them to take the car to them
Old 04 April 2010, 09:25 AM
Olly.Wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
welcome to the world of subaru modification. save your money and do what you can now. not everyone has £20K to drop into a forged build. the more power you want the more expensive it becomes. Adding power to a classic car is an expensive way to go. you have stated that you like the shape of the classic but a newer model is much cheaper and easier to make big power gains.

remember its not the buying of the car that's expensive. it's upkeep that's a killer.

your forged build will cost you but as you have been told before it is the other stuff that adds up. turbo, breathing, spark, ecu, brakes, suspension, heads, manifolds, fuelling, drivetrain, gearbox, mapping. the engine is just the beginning.

add to this the cost of doing the work then you have a serious amount of money to spend if you want a car that is reliable. any fool can bolt on bits and talk a fast car car. very few people can actually do it. my advice get a mechanic who has a proven track record, has an enthusiasm for subarus, will not get the arm in when you ask him for advice by getting you to buy **** that you dont need.

Finally what do you want the car for. if it is for a daily driver, guys on here will tell you that big horsepower cars are not really daily drivers. they are just too fast.

If you want a fast car to boast in the pub then your doing it for the wrong reasons as there will always, and i mean always, be someone with more money than you, with a faster car than you.

just my 2p worth
Thanks for the info,i know that its going to cost me alot of money to get good power from a classic,but that is what i want to do and the classic weighs a fair bit less too which will make it a quicker car.Also i prefer the raw feel from a classic.My car is a daily driver at the moment,and i will be planning to do a few track days.Eveyone keeps telling me to take it to engneturner and the more i think about it,the more i know it makes sense.The way i see it is that you guys know best as you have been there and done it,thats why i asked as i want to get the best job done i can for my money. The 2.1 stroker kit sounds very good i will give them a call and see what they can do for me!

Cheers for all your advise.
Old 04 April 2010, 11:40 AM
Olly.Wrx
Scooby Regular

Right i have now decide that im 100% going to get the forged rebuild done at enginetuner by allan jeffery.I can see that it will be well worth traveling the bit extra just by the amount of great feedback he has got on this site.I cant wait to get it booked up now,cheers for all the advise.
Old 04 April 2010, 12:46 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the forged 2.1 stroker done at engine tuner, drive in drive out build. it was worth the 6+ hours drive there!

but be carefull if you have the rover beast car that they lend out. as i have heard of horry storyes of people gettingmore speeding tickets in that thing than they do in ther 500bhp cars!
Old 04 April 2010, 03:01 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

good decision mate

ill be following you when my engine goes in the next year or so.

i have a 1994 sti, and live in scotland, thats gony be one long round trip haha

i have the rest of my upgrades in place, the only thi will be transmission and clutch

no simtek tho, i like my apexi unit and a z32 maf is being sourced just now.