Notices

help!

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2010, 06:03 PM
russvox
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!

hi every one, i'm new to this forum and new to subaru, just bought a WRX 04. absolutely love it!
its a weekend toy so im starting to play with it a bit, i bought a short pipe cold air induction kit and a blow of valve. exhaust is already fitted.
the question is though im getting turbo chirp through the induction kit no matter how loose i set the spring on the valve. i've found a setting where the turbo feels fantastic, pulls like a train and the whoosh is quite quiet(which is what i was looking for). but the turbo chirps under midrange throttle liftoff.
i've read this is bad but i cant get rid of it no matter how i set the valve.
any advise? thanks
Old 02 April 2010, 06:14 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

if you have fitted an induction kit then ide suggest you get the car remapped so the air/fuel ratio is set right. you will be drawing in more air now with the ind kit...possably warm air too if its situated in the engine bay still. as for the BOV some will tell you that your car may not run right with one fitted.. you may experience irratic idle, flat spots and poor fuel consumption..having said that you may be one of the lucky ones that dont have any issues.

is the exhaust system decatted??
Old 02 April 2010, 06:18 PM
russvox
Scooby Newbie

no its not but i'm thinking thats what's next.
i haven't had any erratic idle issues as yet, but to be honest all the stuff i've read about the valves is making me think about taking it off.
im defi-nataly looking to remap as well.
Old 02 April 2010, 06:21 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Welcome. Playing with these is a fun game, but there are some potential pitfalls to avoid and unfortunately it hasn't taken you long to find one. You're not going to like this answer but the best thing you can do with both the induction kit and the dumpvalve is to get rid and refit the standard parts, at least pending a remap.

As you say the chirping is undesirable as far as proper function of the engine, key sensors, and ultimate longevity is concerned, and even if you could set it correctly the atmospheric venting is undesirable as far as accurate air/fuel calculations over a throttle lift are concerned.

The induction kit isn't actually performance enhancing in itself because the standard induction tract is not a bottleneck at the sort of power levels you're at right now, and the problem with them is that, without being mapped in properly, the cone is likely to be altering the mass airflow readings the ECU needs to properly calculate fuel mixtures. This can, if you're unlucky, lead to engine damage - although the leaner mixture will make the car feel faster, at least until a piston decides it's had enough.

The standard recirculating dumpvalve the car was supplied with has a release pressure that is perfectly calibrated for the turbo and, most importantly, what the ECU expects. In addition, if you want a quiet whoosh, that's what the OEM valve delivers.

You may also find that if the "exhaust" involves a downpipe cat removal, you may be experiencing boost spiking, which is similarly undesirable. If it's a rear box only, there shouldn't be much difference.

Last edited by Splitpin; 02 April 2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02 April 2010, 06:29 PM
russvox
Scooby Newbie

no i don't mind the answers, thats why im here. i think i probably will remove all until remap. would you say cat removal is a good idea? i don't want to damage anything.
thanks for the advise
Old 02 April 2010, 06:41 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ide leave it all untill your ready to remap, you'll benefit more that way
Old 02 April 2010, 07:30 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by russvox
no i don't mind the answers, thats why im here. i think i probably will remove all until remap. would you say cat removal is a good idea? i don't want to damage anything.
thanks for the advise
cat removal will free up some power but your MOT centre will not like it