Notices

Front entry td05 conversion question.

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2010, 03:37 PM
Jamie Bird
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front entry td05 conversion question.

Right i've just bought a td05, my car however is front entry so i need to get it converted. My question is when i find a machine shop to take it to, do people give them the whole unit ( worried about swarf getting in it ) or just the comp. housing ?
And also if you do just give them the comp. housing is it easy to remove/ replace without f**king anything up ?
Thanks Jay
Old 01 April 2010, 03:56 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

They should only need the compressor housing. It's easy to remove without any fecking-up provided you have a very sturdy pair of large internal circlip pliers, as getting the clip off is the tricky part.

Once you have that free, the only thing holding the cover in place will be the o-ring sealing it to the flange on the front of the cart, although this will be pretty tight. Use a (pair of) screwdrivers or similar to gently prise the cartridge out of the cover, working all the way round so that the cartridge comes off straight rather than at an angle. You want it to come off straight so that there's no risk of the compressor being jammed at an angle against the inside of the cover. This presents a small risk of either gently scoring the inside of the cover or tweaking either a blade or the shaft. None of these are significant risks but better to avoid if you can.

Refitting is the reverse of disassembly. Ideally fit a new o-ring and smear some fairy liquid over it to make putting it back easier. Also watch for the locating pin in the comp cover lining up with the hole in the cartridge.

If you're taking the cover to a shop that hasn't done these turbos before, do you/they know the dimensions of the front entry spigot they're putting on instead?
Old 01 April 2010, 05:39 PM
Jamie Bird
Scooby Regular

Tbh i dont know where im taking it yet, i dont know the dimensions though. Do you have them to hand ?