Notices

boost spiking with hks evc3 fitted to my 1999 impreza

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2010, 05:11 PM
barneys34
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost spiking with hks evc3 fitted to my 1999 impreza

can anyone help me i have fitted a hks evc3 boost controller to my 99 scooby and the boost is spiking then fading all the time in low 0.50 bar and high 1.2 bar do i use the restricter pill on the turbo outlet nipple and do i keep the standard boost solinoid connected to the boost lines i have now disconected the evc and my car is not spiking anymore the car has a tdo4 turbo and ecutek map please help
Old 30 March 2010, 05:47 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Welcome. Unfortunately, using a third party boost controller on a car with a custom map on it is an all-round bad idea.

Your car has already been mapped to produce however much boost it's developing, and the target AFRs will have been set accurately for that amount of boost.

Using a third party controller on a standard ECU with some headroom in the fuelling is one thing. Trying this in the context you are, even if you can get it to hold boost stably, is asking for trouble.

If you want more power, the way to get it is to start by speaking to whoever mapped your car. They will be able to tell you whether it's possible to safely get more without changes to the engine hardware (i.e. turbo etc) and whatever the outcome they'll be able to tweak the map to suit.

Best thing you can do with that external controller under these conditions is probably to return it and get a refund.

Last edited by Splitpin; 30 March 2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 31 March 2010, 07:21 PM
barneys34
Scooby Newbie

Default i give up with hks evc 3

i dont want any more power i want to be able to run low boost in bad driving conditions my car runs 1.25 bar without the boost controller because of the ecutek remap but when i fit the evc 3 its suges constantle when i set it to any setting above 0.6 bar i have tried with the restrictor pill ,without it with standard boost solinoid ,without it keepiing it wired up to keep the ecu happy in short i have tried everything i can think of and its still surging like the actuator is opening and closing to slow or somthing like that some of u guys must have a similar setup it your scoobys did u keep the standard boost solinoid or disconect the vacume from it