Notices

steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2010, 08:10 AM
noblechris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering rack?

I have an odd noise coming from the scoob when i turn to the right, it only does it near full lock and it is not a knocking, banging etc it's more like a sort of pressure sound
it doesn't do it if i do full lock the other way, also the steering rack, where the pipes etc go in is mucky with oil etc, but i cant find any leaks, the fluid did need topping up but only a little and not very often.
Old 08 March 2010, 11:18 AM
paul_rallye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cv joint? is a comon cause of this when the car is mooving and on full lock? but that would be a knock. not a pressure hiss if the rack is not centered correctly then your pas pump will try to over turn 1 way and not the other as its not yet got to full lock on one side i.e the left but is over locking on the right and hitting the lock stop. to check you will have to find the total number of turns in the rack i.e 3.5 or 2.5 if its a ra e,t,c and divide by 2. so as a example a ra steering rack has 1.25 turns to be in the centre. Turn the wheel that much from full lock. Now the road wheels should pointing dead ahead and the steering wheel sould be level. If its not the rack will need centering or the tracking could have been badly adjusted. Its a job realy for a garage with alighment tools laser setups are in my oppion the best. Hope this helps its sound like the most possible cause for any number of problems you could have.