Notices

sport-turbo conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2010, 03:37 AM
Ryanerak
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sport-turbo conversion

Hi, im thinking of doing a sti conversion to a classic sport and basically would like to know what parts i'll need to do it. Things im thinking i'll need are
Engine
Gearbox
Propshaft
Driveshafts
Ecu
Engine Loom
What other things will i need? any advice on what parts to use i.e what model engine, gearbox etc Im new to subaru's so most definatly ready to get learning! Overall plan for the car is to get it to around 300bhp or so, coilovers, uprated brakes. basically a fast road / lightly tracked car.

Ryan
Old 03 March 2010, 03:52 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the shell, replace everything else, does that make sense? or in other words, its not worth the effort as its cheaper to buy a turbo

Tony
Old 03 March 2010, 04:01 AM
Ryanerak
Scooby Newbie

Gone

Last edited by Ryanerak; 03 March 2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03 March 2010, 04:47 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will cost you as much if not more with a converted sport as they will mark down every modification, eg brakes, engine, exhaust, wheels etc as they are not standard and that will probably add up to far more than that of a standard turbo
Buying a sport and converting it will set you back thousands of pounds in parts then add the labour charges and you may well need an ESVA cert/test, its just not worth it.

Tony
Old 03 March 2010, 07:04 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Tony, I think what our little chum is trying to say is, he wants to drop the STi running gear into his sport & not tell the insurance company.

Corsa's with undeclared 2 litre red tops are so 2005, sport impreza's with turbo running gear is where its at if you like defrauding your insurance comany.

Ryan, if you don't declare the engine swap & have an accident, and if you are really unlucky, kill someone, you are going to get royally fcuked, we aren't talking a slap on the wrists & some community service, you will be paying out for the rest of your life, be banned from driving for a long time, have a criminal record & may even do some porridge.

if its worth all that, then go ahead.

You are 21, plenty of time for a turbo'd scoob, get some more driving experience under your belt & get a proper STi in 2 or 3 years.
Old 03 March 2010, 02:27 PM
Ryanerak
Scooby Newbie

Gone

Last edited by Ryanerak; 03 March 2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03 March 2010, 02:43 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryanerak
Little chum? I fully understand the risk of no insurance but believe me if your in a fatal accident it doesn't matter a toss about your insurance etc,
I doubt Jon was thinking about your own demise. Probably more about any other people you might involve in your accident. I'm sure they'd rather have to go through an insurance company than through the MIB, or some no-win no-fee claim on your estate or family.

The fact that you are prepared to commit bare-faced insurance fraud in this manner suggests you're not mature enough to be behind the wheel of the car you're trying to create.

The irony is that a significant part of the reason insurance premiums are as high as they are is down to people with the same attitude you've got.

This has gone way off topic lol
You have nobody to blame but yourself, lol.

Trending Topics

Old 03 March 2010, 03:07 PM
Ryanerak
Scooby Newbie

Gone

Last edited by Ryanerak; 03 March 2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03 March 2010, 04:51 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Is your "Scooby Smasher Starlet" declared to the insurance company? If not then it could well be now.

There are people on here who work for insurnace companies and will sell your bumhole for nothing.

These are open forums and free to anyone.
Old 03 March 2010, 04:58 PM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

It may be worth sticking to Starlets for a couple of years until your insurance comes down. Insurance fraud isn't worth the risk IMO. Every mod on my car is declared.
Old 03 March 2010, 04:59 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Scooby
It may be worth sticking to Starlets for a couple of years until your insurance comes down. Insurance fraud isn't worth the risk IMO. Every mod on my car is declared.
But the turbo blew on that!
Old 03 March 2010, 05:01 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

I don't mean my own demise, well sort of. What I mean is If your involved in a fatal rta it'll be examined in great deal by the police, you're vehicle will be gone over with a fine tooth comb. If anything non factory & not declared will void your insurance
Yes, and? You're clearly not telling any of us anything we don't already know.

I'm 100% confident in saying that's the vast majority of members on not only this site but most other car forums also.
Your poor sentence construction makes it difficult to be certain what you're trying to say, but if you're suggesting that you believe the "vast majority" of members on this site are driving round with undeclared modifications you're likely to be very much mistaken. As for other forums, pass, I don't have the experience to comment.

I'm not saying I'm right for wondering about doing an illegal conversion all I asked is what parts I'd need.
The fact that you've so far received zero assistance in this regard should tell you a lot. If the forum was as packed with miscreants as you seemed to suggest above, there should be no shortage of people willing and able to help you.

What do you mean I'm not mature enough? As in I'm not 40, never modified my car ever & drive at 30 regardless of speed limit?
No, as in you think it's big and clever to ask in a public forum how to commit blatant insurance fraud - the consequences of which, incidentally, pushes premiums up for the rest of us.

If you aren't yet responsible or intelligent enough to realise that's a bad idea then you probably aren't responsible enough to be out on the public roads in the car you say you want. Maybe you should stick with your Starlet?
Old 03 March 2010, 10:53 PM
Ryanerak
Scooby Newbie

Ok i apologise and nothing more will be said. Im sure ill be needing help on here soon (legal car, quotes are coming down! £1700 atm) so would like to leave it as it is if thats cool! As for the whole maturity thing im sure once i finally get an Iimpreza im sure you'll see me at a meet and get to make your minds up in person.
Old 04 March 2010, 11:11 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Little chum? I fully understand the risk of no insurance but believe me if your in a fatal accident it doesn't matter a toss about your insurance etc, more important things to worry about than high insurance premiums & a ban u know! Having previously owned a 266bhp Toyota starlet (scooby smasher) and a 200sx s13 I cant see why imprezas are so expensive? Standard they are at best quick, your a hell of alot more likely to crash a mr2 or s13 than you are an impreza yet there less than half the cost to buy & insure, just as fast standard. I've been looking at buyege wrx's but I think there just to expensive overall, and classics well everybodies got them you know.
This has gone way off topic lol
As splitpin says, I couldn't give a monkeys whether you kill yourself in your proposed car, I was more concerned about you killing an innocent person & I was trying to offer you some advice.

I see you have wound your neck in now, good for you.
Old 04 March 2010, 11:35 AM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Scoobies are more to insure as our light fingered friends do like to pinch them for various nasty reasons (parts, joy ride, smash and grab) They are four wheel drive and quite able over rough stuff. Thats why insurance is so high. I should know- i've had my bug stolen after a break in! Luckily enough i got it back in ok condition.
Plus having to put all the turbo running gear in your car would cost more than selling yours and using the extra money to offset the cost of buying a decent turbo'd subaru.
Old 04 March 2010, 03:25 PM
Ryanerak
Scooby Newbie

Yea I guess it does make sence especially with all them thieving ****s out there! I was goin wrong by looking to get a wrx instead of a uk turbo, group 17 for the uk car, 20 for wrx's etc. My old s13 was group 16 after checking so fingers crossed can get a decent quote & start looking for a car. Looks like it'll b a classic, cheaper to buy which is nice as I'm goin to be tinkering around with it so won't be as worried about scratches and stuff, wait til I get a bugeye or blobeye in a year or 2 till I worry about appearance lol
Old 05 March 2010, 07:56 AM
tyler120706
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up sport turbo better idea for ya

ive found there are alot of turbos that are imported and for one reason or another get logged with the dvla as gl models (non turbo) find one of those and your laughing this way it would be alot cheaper for you/ and or buy a sport someone has already spent the money time and effort to turbo them selfs .
Old 05 March 2010, 08:05 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Originally Posted by tyler120706
ive found there are alot of turbos that are imported and for one reason or another get logged with the dvla as gl models (non turbo) find one of those and your laughing this way it would be alot cheaper for you/ and or buy a sport someone has already spent the money time and effort to turbo them selfs .
Great plan, unfortunately ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law. You would still end up getting butt-fudged if you killed someone in an RTA.