2007 Impreza STi HPI Weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2010, 05:37 PM
mwc1893
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Impreza STi HPI Weirdness

Hi Folks,

I just got hold of the HPI report for an Impreza I wanted to buy, but now I'm not sure whether to back out...

The garage maintain that the car is a 2007 Impreza STi Type UK on a 57 plate. However, the car doesn't have the Type UK badge on the back of the car and the HPI check has thown up more questions than it answers...

It can't possibly be a 22B, as it's an 07 Hawkeye... I've phoned my local, friendly Dealer who says the car is an import - not even from EU, and not registered with IM.

Can anyone help, or should I steer well clear & get my deposit back as the car was mis-represented in the advert?

Sorry, this should have gone into ScoobyNet General - not technical... Can a kind mod oblige? TX

Last edited by mwc1893; 24 February 2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Because I'm useless at explaining things...
Old 24 February 2010, 05:42 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Euro imports aren't Type UK's so you may be paying more than you should be. Typically sold £1000's cheaper so why should you pay through the nose now !
Old 24 February 2010, 06:31 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the history of the car was already known as a Maltese import before you bought it?
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...wkeye-sti.html

After the advice given here, I can't see why you are now shocked to find it isn't a UK car?

I take it the service book isn't blue and has Subaru UK Ltd printed on the bottom of front cover?
Old 24 February 2010, 06:50 PM
mwc1893
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Butty
I thought the history of the car was already known as a Maltese import before you bought it?
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...wkeye-sti.html

After the advice given here, I can't see why you are now shocked to find it isn't a UK car?

I take it the service book isn't blue and has Subaru UK Ltd printed on the bottom of front cover?
Yeah, fair question... I suppose the most accurate statement of ownership is that I've left a reasonable deposit with a garage, and they are awaiting the balance (which I haven't paid until I can square this away).

I posted this because the HPI they've provided doesn't seem to tie up properly and I'd like someone in the know to comment. In the model, this car is noted as a 22B STI-Type UK. Now, I'm not scooby-mad but I thought they were a limited run in the late 90s so it can't possibly be accurate. When I phoned my local dealer, I was told that it wasn't on their systems, or that of IM. The garage I'm buying from says I can register it with a dealer and get the remaining warranty, but it's some risk!

I've been caught before with a misleading VRD & HPI check on an EU imported Golf not being accurately recorded and it cost me a large wedge of cash - I'm anxious to avoid doing it again if I can help it.

Again, sorry for posting in General Tech... If a mod sees this, could they shift it?

Thanks
Old 26 February 2010, 02:24 PM
andy1234
Scooby Newbie

Was it for sale in Stratsone Bradford by any chance?

Originally Posted by mwc1893
Yeah, fair question... I suppose the most accurate statement of ownership is that I've left a reasonable deposit with a garage, and they are awaiting the balance (which I haven't paid until I can square this away).

I posted this because the HPI they've provided doesn't seem to tie up properly and I'd like someone in the know to comment. In the model, this car is noted as a 22B STI-Type UK. Now, I'm not scooby-mad but I thought they were a limited run in the late 90s so it can't possibly be accurate. When I phoned my local dealer, I was told that it wasn't on their systems, or that of IM. The garage I'm buying from says I can register it with a dealer and get the remaining warranty, but it's some risk!

I've been caught before with a misleading VRD & HPI check on an EU imported Golf not being accurately recorded and it cost me a large wedge of cash - I'm anxious to avoid doing it again if I can help it.

Again, sorry for posting in General Tech... If a mod sees this, could they shift it?

Thanks
Old 26 February 2010, 02:45 PM
mwc1893
Scooby Newbie

Yeah, it was. How'd you know?

I've decided to back out now anyway - only they are insisting I pay the balance & threatening all sorts despite my claims the car was misrepresented in their advert on autotrader. It's a bit daft as I only want my £500 back!

Did you look at it too?

Cheers!
Old 26 February 2010, 03:09 PM
andy1234
Scooby Newbie

I rang them up about it this morning. Looks like a nice car, but its worth about what its up for as its an import. I cant see how they can describe it as a type UK though because it isn't.

Trending Topics

Old 26 February 2010, 03:53 PM
mwc1893
Scooby Newbie

Yeah, I think it's misleading too. It might be what the VRD says, but as an import, I don't know what checks could be done when it's registered.

It was a nice looking motor though, and it seems to perform as you'd expect. There was a ding on the passenger door which should be fixed now - other than a few minor scratches it looks better than others I've seen.

They've got a deposit from me, but they know I'm not going to complete - I don't know what they told you, but as far as I'm concerned it should be for sale.
Old 26 February 2010, 04:32 PM
andy1234
Scooby Newbie

Im not interested in it at that price TBH. I have a deposit on a uk 57 reg with 8k miles that is mint and already modded for a little over 1k more than that one.
We probably have been looking at the same cars.....
Old 26 February 2010, 04:46 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see they also have a WR1 in WR Blue
They know their stuff....
Old 26 February 2010, 04:53 PM
andy1234
Scooby Newbie

Tell them to advertise it as a 2007 sti type Malta

Yeah, I think it's misleading too. It might be what the VRD says, but as an import, I don't know what checks could be done when it's registered.

It was a nice looking motor though, and it seems to perform as you'd expect. There was a ding on the passenger door which should be fixed now - other than a few minor scratches it looks better than others I've seen.

They've got a deposit from me, but they know I'm not going to complete - I don't know what they told you, but as far as I'm concerned it should be for sale.
Old 26 February 2010, 05:10 PM
mwc1893
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by andy1234
Im not interested in it at that price TBH. I have a deposit on a uk 57 reg with 8k miles that is mint and already modded for a little over 1k more than that one.
We probably have been looking at the same cars.....
Very nice! I hadn't seen that one

I'd steer well clear of them - certainly for non-Mercedes. It seems they don't have a clue about what they've got and seem intent on ensuring I buy it despite the discrepancies between various bits of documentation.

Best of luck with the Scoob
Old 26 February 2010, 05:42 PM
andy1234
Scooby Newbie

For what its worth, it was up for 17k, theres always a discount to be had If not, walk away.

Very nice! I hadn't seen that one

I'd steer well clear of them - certainly for non-Mercedes. It seems they don't have a clue about what they've got and seem intent on ensuring I buy it despite the discrepancies between various bits of documentation.

Best of luck with the Scoob