Notices

WRX Auto -Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2010, 10:33 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WRX Auto -Help Needed

Hi i am posting this on behalf of a mate of mine who has a 1995 wrx auto,the car came as standard with a td04 turbo.Recently he has changed the turbo to a td05,and fitted an ecu off a wrx manual.At first the car drove allright ,but now it appears the 1st & 2nd gears are slipping,but once you get to 3000rpm the car starts to motor.
Also when you start the car up the 'power 'light flashes 16 x then goes off,which i presume is some sort of gearbox diagnostics code. I changed the ecu back over to the standard one and it still does the same I would presume there is a auto gearbox solenoid,if so does anyone know where it is located,or have any other possible solutions or is time for him to try and source another auto box - any suggestion welcome.
Old 23 February 2010, 10:51 PM
RobsWRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I don't think the ECU change had any effect on the auto box. From what I remember 16 flashes is duty c solenoid. The solenoids are located in the valve body. Remove the gearbox sump and under that is a semi permanent metal filter. Remove that and there will be a large plate like object - that is the valve body.

Unless you know what you are doing I wouldn't mess with it. There are a few companies in the US that do valve body mods - amazing shifts! They can replace the solenoids as part of the mod although I think its around £350.
Old 24 February 2010, 09:08 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

The Transmission ECU on later cars takes signals from the engine ECU that are not present from a manual ECU, not sure about a 95.

The line pressure can be increased by adding a resistor into the signal line to make the pressure read lower than actual.

Simon
Old 24 February 2010, 10:35 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info guys will pass it on to him,though for £350 think he will probably favour a new box.
Old 01 April 2010, 12:13 PM
danny_j
Scooby Newbie

Hi midnight,

I'm looking to change my car from Auto to Manual, i've a classic with Power light. Did your friend decide to get a new box? Any advice will be appreciated
Old 01 April 2010, 09:03 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Hiya mate,he did change his gearbox,but because he has an auto 'only ' licence,he had to put another auto box back in,i can imagine it might be a bit of a game going from auto to manual as you will need to change a fair few components ie: pedals,ecu,etc and auto's dont seem to fetch much money when you sell them either.
I am sure there must be a thread in the search bar telling you whats involved.Try typing auto to manual and see what comes up.