2002 wrx problem

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2010, 08:26 PM
jcr742005
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 wrx problem

please help!!!

i got home the other day in my 2002 wrx and as i was reversing it onto the drive, i felt something wrong. it felt at first as though i had a flat front tyre, but when i got out to check, it was fine! i got back in again and whilst on (almost) full lock it did it again!! feels like the wheel is slipping. im wondering if my steering rack is on the way out?! it makes a type of knocking noise. i took it to a garage to have it look at, but there is nothing visably wrong with it!!
Old 05 February 2010, 08:58 PM
notfub
Scooby Regular

It's worth checking the tension in the power steering belt, perhaps it's a little slack?
Old 05 February 2010, 09:20 PM
VeilsideWRXUK
Scooby Regular

Have you checked the TQF fluid? A slight leak over a period of time will obviously cause the fluid to leak out. As it is happening on full lock, (when the fluid level will dip a bit) it may hopefully be something as simple as that.
Old 07 February 2010, 07:17 AM
s c o o b y
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcr742005
please help!!!

i got home the other day in my 2002 wrx and as i was reversing it onto the drive, i felt something wrong. it felt at first as though i had a flat front tyre, but when i got out to check, it was fine! i got back in again and whilst on (almost) full lock it did it again!! feels like the wheel is slipping. im wondering if my steering rack is on the way out?! it makes a type of knocking noise. i took it to a garage to have it look at, but there is nothing visably wrong with it!!
check its not a worn drive shaft bearing under the cv boot near the wheel if it does it when you turning it could well be that . i've had this prob before in the past on some cars . but this was on front wheel drive so when it does go completely you let the clutch out and nothing happens the shaft just spins but as you have four wheel drive you will still move if you no what i mean,
just thought it could be worth a look .