Notices

Boost Solinoid 2 and 3 port connection

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2009, 05:50 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Solinoid 2 and 3 port connection

i am currently looking for a 3 port boost solenoid as i think my 2 port is on its way out,

i currently have a 2 port which has a connector like this:

but all the 3 ports i have seen have a different connector (inline looking)

am i looking at the wrong solinoid for my year car or are all classics the same?

if so how do i go about the connectors

heres the 3 port

thanks

darc
Old 31 December 2009, 05:58 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Darc174
i am currently looking for a 3 port boost solenoid as i think my 2 port is on its way out,
Don't forget you'll need a remap going from a two port to a three, unless you fit a three port and run it in two port mode, which kindof defeats the object.

but all the 3 ports i have seen have a different connector (inline looking)
That's a Subaru 93-96MY solenoid (that has been gashly installed without the rubber shock absorbers). The older cars have different connectors on them, as you've seen. You have to adapt the loom - but you'd need to do this with most aftermarket solenoids anyway. The Prodrive/Pierburg one has a Bosch-type socket, although when sold by Prodrive (and Tactrix etc) they come with an adapter cable that will connect to the OE plug.

am i looking at the wrong solinoid for my year car
Yes, by definition you are. The "right solenoid for your MY" is the blue two port you've already got. The whole point of going for a three port is that technically it's the wrong one - but one that usually works better, once the boost control is mapped back in.
Old 31 December 2009, 06:13 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

ok thanks alot

so there is no such thing as a My00 3 port? that will plug straight in?

if not i take it the 2 port is just a two wire connection which i can cut and crimp the other plug on to my loom.

the 3 port will not be going on till Thur which is when its at MOCOM for some other bits

darc
Old 31 December 2009, 06:28 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

ive got a 3 port turbosmart on mine got it from zen i thinks its universal so you should be alright if you get the one ive got

steve
Old 01 January 2010, 11:04 AM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

since when did u need a remap just to change the solenoid ??? they effectiveley work in the same way its just one works better than the other ( the three port being the more efficient one ) thats like sayin get an electronic boost controller with a different solenoid ( an aftermarket one ) and instantly u need a remap ??? correct me if i am wrong but i have seen many 3 ports used without a remap and i also just sold one to a boy whos intention was just to change the harness and that is all he was advised to do also as the solenoids work the with the same principal ( open / close ) ?
Old 01 January 2010, 11:27 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

When mine was fitted they crimped two flat blade connectors on and stuck them in the loom connector and taped it up. At least this way I can easily revert back if there is a problem. Until I get a new 3 port boost solenoid. Think later this year I will make a new connecting lead so the connectors are in parallel.
Old 01 January 2010, 11:52 AM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

course you need a remap going from a two 2 three you will overboost like mad but going from two 2 two or three 2 three would be fine

Trending Topics

Old 01 January 2010, 05:24 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johngoulding
since when did u need a remap just to change the solenoid ??? they effectiveley work in the same way its just one works better than the other ( the three port being the more efficient one ) thats like sayin get an electronic boost controller with a different solenoid ( an aftermarket one ) and instantly u need a remap ??? correct me if i am wrong but i have seen many 3 ports used without a remap and i also just sold one to a boy whos intention was just to change the harness and that is all he was advised to do also as the solenoids work the with the same principal ( open / close ) ?
You definitely need a remap when changing from a 2 port solenoid to a 3 port solenoid. How they manage boost control is completely different and the car will overboost like hell. Some people foolishly mistake this feeling to be the car feeling really good as a result. (until they have a remap and realise they were wrong) It doesnt feel great when overboosting compared to how it should feel and is often very dangerous to the engine/turbo.