Notices

Type R or P1

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2009, 04:38 PM
thefeet
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type R or P1

Hey everyone, i have been looking at the type R ( 2 door ) around 1997. However ive also seen the price of the P1 come down a bit and is the P1 worth the extra cash?

Ive read a few times people saying they prefer the type R and others saying the P1. Also read that the P1 is more a road / everyday car where as the type R is more a track car ??

Finally what do you think is better ? Im looking for something rare ( dont think i have seen either in person or if i have its not been often and i dont think the type R is a limited edition - might be though ?? ). Also the car will only be used on the track. I will also be interested in modding it quite heavily.

What you think ?
Old 31 December 2009, 04:48 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither if your modding it, your best spending your cash on a Spec C which is pretty much as good as your going to get as track scoobs go Litchfields have a well priced one up for sale

Tony
Old 31 December 2009, 04:59 PM
thefeet
Scooby Newbie

whats wrong with modding the Type R or P1? im after a 2 door, and tbh i prefer the old 1997/8 shape.
Old 31 December 2009, 05:06 PM
rossdj1983
Scooby Regular

what you gonna use it for mate?

i got a p1, the type r does actually come slightly better spec'd than a uk p1
Old 31 December 2009, 05:23 PM
beezor
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u r after looks then the p1-if u want a better drivers car then the type r,if it was me i would go 4 the type r mate
Old 31 December 2009, 05:25 PM
thefeet
Scooby Newbie

yeah what car drives better and is better on a track? Is the type R a limited edition like the 22b and the P1 ? So the type R would be the best bet ?
Old 31 December 2009, 05:29 PM
rossdj1983
Scooby Regular

type r for track, id say its not quite up there with a 22b but not far off a p1- only 1000 p1's made

Trending Topics

Old 31 December 2009, 05:31 PM
malcs scooby
Scooby Regular

ive got a type r and like mentioned is better spec then the p1 and cheaper to buy,but i still love the p1
Old 31 December 2009, 05:33 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

What is the diffrence is it just gearbox ratios
Old 31 December 2009, 05:36 PM
rossdj1983
Scooby Regular

type r has 2 pot rear brakes,climbate control, folding mirrors, dccd and yeah i think they are slightly different ratios
Old 31 December 2009, 05:39 PM
thefeet
Scooby Newbie

so theres not that many diffrences between the P1 and type R then ? If the P1 doesnt have the likes of dccd - not sure exactly what it does but its there anyways would the type r not be the better option anyways ? Whats the power output standard ? both 280 bhp yeah ? So is the type R an offical limited edition along with the P1 and 22b or was there loads of type R's made and ive just not seen any/many?
Old 31 December 2009, 05:44 PM
dbay
Scooby Regular

im a type r man myself. if its just going to be a track car i would of thought the r shell would be a lighter car to start with, because the import wont have all the underseal and sound dedening (could be wrong). the p1 will hold its money in years to come tho.
Old 31 December 2009, 05:48 PM
rossdj1983
Scooby Regular

the type r is basically a jap import, prodrive took 1000 of these worked there magic and then they were sold as a uk car, im not sure how many type r's there are but they werent a limited run like the p1.
if i was gonna be doing track work id rather duff up a type r over a p1, yeah power is the same

dccd- driver controlled center diff- means you can play with where the power goes a little bit
Old 31 December 2009, 05:57 PM
thefeet
Scooby Newbie

So with the dccd can you have 4wd, fwd or rwd ? or is it not as simple as that.

So the type R would be the best bet 100% - cheaper to start with also.

It will be used only on the track or once in a while maybe the drag strip but mainly track use so the interior will be coming out then roll cage added in mods to engine, diffrent brakes etc, i suppose if you do all that to a p1 id be taking the p1 out of it ? if that makes any sense.
Old 31 December 2009, 06:01 PM
rossdj1983
Scooby Regular

quite right mate, p1 is slowly becoming more of a collectors car (nearly), with the change you can buy some goodies for the type r.

the dccd ant quite like that, you do push power from front to back but not by much
Old 31 December 2009, 06:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by thefeet
whats wrong with modding the Type R or P1? im after a 2 door, and tbh i prefer the old 1997/8 shape.
Well basically you will break things on the P1 or the Type R if your tracking the car.
It will cost you a fortune to make it into a track toy, on the other hand having owned both a Spec C and a type R i can say the spec c is by far the better track car, and for all the money you would throw at a type R to get it near what a Spec C can do out of the box, your better off buying the Spec C (and it will still be quicker )

Tony
Old 31 December 2009, 06:05 PM
thefeet
Scooby Newbie

yeah so ill be better off with the type R .

Where should i start with modding it ? Air intake, exhaust, FMIC, Fuel Pump, Injectors, Turbo then im sure itll " fly ".
Old 31 December 2009, 06:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

So with the dccd can you have 4wd, fwd or rwd ? or is it not as simple as that.
The DCCD distributes slip between the front and rear axels, not power or torque, slip.
This then makes the handling of the car change, its a fun toy that is useful on the track

Tony
Old 31 December 2009, 06:09 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

yeah so ill be better off with the type R .

Where should i start with modding it ? Air intake, exhaust, FMIC, Fuel Pump, Injectors, Turbo then im sure itll " fly ".
Probably engine rebuild, gearbox, brakes etc, when you have finished throwing 10k at it you would have a decent car, trouble is you can get an MY03/04 Spec C for that money, and they are THE best Impreza you can buy for the money

Now do you see why I said forget the idea if you want a track car? you can have a 6 year newer car that does the job you want far better than the type R does (even modified).

Tony
Old 31 December 2009, 06:14 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

This is the ultimate if you want track, to name a few, the quickest Impreza that has done (in standard form) the Nurburgring is an MY05 WRX STI Spec C RA, which did the ring in 7:59.
By the time you have splashed out on a 6k type R and all the other bits your still not going to have the best car out there

400bhp is very achievable on a Spec C, it has everything you need, engine and transmission oil coolers, lightweight, spec c geometry setup, A-DCCD, quick rack steering, 330mm front brembo's and 300mm rear, more agressive engine and ecu setup etc. Pics below.

Litchfield Imports : JDM Subaru Impreza ST Spec C Limited

Tony
Old 31 December 2009, 06:15 PM
thefeet
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Probably engine rebuild, gearbox, brakes etc, when you have finished throwing 10k at it you would have a decent car, trouble is you can get an MY03/04 Spec C for that money, and they are THE best Impreza you can buy for the money

Now do you see why I said forget the idea if you want a track car? you can have a 6 year newer car that does the job you want far better than the type R does (even modified).

Tony
Im not sure everyone will agree with that but as ive driven neither i cant agree or disagree on that one .

Thing is i like the type R alot better and would be happier with a car that im happy how it looks then gradually increase how it performs ( 0-60 in 4.8 is still pretty good standard ) rather than have a car that i dont like the looks as much just for the bit extra to start with.
Old 31 December 2009, 06:16 PM
rossdj1983
Scooby Regular

best thing to do is service it properly, get a good base to start from.
dont get suckerd in to buying things you dont need or look trick either. if your gonna be doing track work i would stick some good stoppers on before anything else.

all well and good going out buying a spec C, that is if you got the money. as i say id rather be in a type r than a p1/ spec/22b etc etc on track if you start making contact
Old 31 December 2009, 06:21 PM
rossdj1983
Scooby Regular

ps classic shape all the way- anything else just ant cricket
Old 31 December 2009, 06:21 PM
dbay
Scooby Regular

the spec c would be cheaper in the long run to get what you want from it.

the dccd is witch craft and hard to understand, im led to belive the bugeye onwards has the best dccd as there is controll over front and rear diffs, here is a like that might help

Understanding DCCD - Type-RA.co.uk - Forum for Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA, WRX STi, Spec-C, S202, Type RA-R

Old 31 December 2009, 06:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Im not sure everyone will agree with that but as ive driven neither i cant agree or disagree on that one .

Thing is i like the type R alot better and would be happier with a car that im happy how it looks then gradually increase how it performs ( 0-60 in 4.8 is still pretty good standard ) rather than have a car that i dont like the looks as much just for the bit extra to start with.
Trust me, I have owned both and the Spec C is the far better car, its more sure footed, quicker (4.3 to 60 and nearly 2 secs quicker to 100 mph ) they are twin scroll units, but you need to try them, the fact is that you cant do a little bit at a time with the type R, its all or nothing, the engine will set you back 3.5-4k for a rebuild (they are not very good tbh, new age cars are far better mechanically), brakes, 700 quid, new gearbox (the 5 speeds are not that strong) 2.5k for a new age 6 speed box, you wont have any oil coolers etc, and it will cost you a packet to get a type R even near one of the new age cars (you will also have to redo all the arb's etc) and you wont be left with a car that you will enjoy as it will be off the road most of the time getting bits fixed/added

Go test drive both, the Spec C will amaze you, the type R wont (and I own a type R and seriously miss my Spec C )

Tony
Old 31 December 2009, 06:25 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by rossdj1983
Never owned a new age then?
Shame, when the classics are in the garage with another engine failure and the new age isnt (due to the advancements in the engineering, ie baffled sumps etc) come back and say that again

Tony
Old 31 December 2009, 06:25 PM
dbay
Scooby Regular

agreed
Old 31 December 2009, 06:26 PM
thefeet
Scooby Newbie

best thing to do is service it properly, get a good base to start from.
dont get suckerd in to buying things you dont need or look trick either. if your gonna be doing track work i would stick some good stoppers on before anything else.

all well and good going out buying a spec C, that is if you got the money. as i say id rather be in a type r than a p1/ spec/22b etc etc on track if you start making contact
Yeah need to make sure the thing stops

Just out of intrest ( this is me going into one of my silly ideas )

3.6-liter 6-cylinder subaru boxer Engine - Engine Displacement | Subaru Boxer Engine

Would that fit in ? Or would it be far to much work and id be better of with a stroker ? 2.5 ?
Old 31 December 2009, 06:26 PM
rossdj1983
Scooby Regular

tony think were going off topic here, this is getting into a spec c vs. type r thread
Old 31 December 2009, 06:28 PM
rossdj1983
Scooby Regular

Yeah need to make sure the thing stops

Just out of intrest ( this is me going into one of my silly ideas )

3.6-liter 6-cylinder subaru boxer Engine - Engine Displacement | Subaru Boxer Engine

Would that fit in ? Or would it be far to much work and id be better of with a stroker ? 2.5 ?

wouldnt go there mate, just enjoy it to begin with, for track use id stick with 2.0, but that just my opinion

Quick Reply: Type R or P1