Notices

lossing water in the header tank

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2009, 12:24 AM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lossing water in the header tank

i cant see no leaks, i have just has a 20g fitted and im wondering am i losing this water out of the over flow because the water is heating and expanding to much and am i filling the header tank up to much the engine is forged with steal gaskets and apr head bolts and this was done just over a year ago, or is this a possible air lock, ps the thermostat is only a year old and both rad pipe are only a year old and also the car is not over heating and there is a nice flow of hot air from the heaters

Last edited by happydude303; 08 December 2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08 December 2009, 12:34 AM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you fitted an uprated thermostat? or is it standard? As it sounds like you need something like a zero sports which will open much earlier for you.
Old 08 December 2009, 12:37 AM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

it is a standard one in there how much are these zero sports on as i was thinkin of that and do you also no where i might get one from
Old 08 December 2009, 12:47 AM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Try scoobyclinic and usually about 50 to 60 pounds.......keeps the car cooler by 7deg c which could be the issue here as it's more than likely boiling over and losing it's water.

Good Luck
Old 08 December 2009, 12:49 AM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

cheers dude ill give it ago as i cant see it being the old head gasket and im thinking of getting the old samco rad hose as well why ill doi it
Old 08 December 2009, 12:59 AM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

It honestly don't sound like an issue overall....just check it all over again and speak to scoobyclinic before ordering your stat tyo get their take on things too.
Old 08 December 2009, 01:02 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Happydude, before you go changing thermostats (which shouldn't on the face of it be necessary), what concentration of coolant to water are you currently using?

Also, regarding your question of whether this could be an airlock, have you recently drained and refilled the system? How long have you had the 20g on the car and has this apparent coolant loss been happening ever since?

Is there any evidence of dried coolant residue around the overflow tank cap (by the nearside headlight) btw, and do you see coolant bubbling up into it when the engine is hot?
Old 08 December 2009, 01:07 AM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

im not sure what the mix is, that was done by the garage who built it and the 20g has only been on for two weeks and its started to happen since and i now when they change the turbo they top it up, i was think the system might not have bleed out full but have been thinking as the pressure and heat int he engine is greater now that's why i was thinking thermostat is not keeping it cool enough and ill need to check the over flow in the day light tomorrow, what are you thinking thsi might be dude
Old 08 December 2009, 01:46 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by happydude303
im not sure what the mix is, that was done by the garage who built it and the 20g has only been on for two weeks and its started to happen since and i now when they change the turbo they top it up
It would be worth you finding out what mix of coolant was used for the original build and what sort it was. The system will (should) have been partially drained for a turbo swap. This partial drain will need to be made good somehow, either by catching the existing coolant out of the rad drain plug and putting it back in, or filling back up with fresh stuff.

i was think the system might not have bleed out full
That is certainly a possibility.

but have been thinking as the pressure and heat int he engine is greater now that's why i was thinking thermostat is not keeping it cool enough
That's not quite how it works. The thermostat isn't responsible for keeping the engine cool, its job is to make the engine warm up quicker. It's the radiator, coolant fluid, water pump and airflow through rad that together do the job of keeping the engine cool.

You might have changed the turbo, but assuming it is properly filled and working properly, it shouldn't be boiling.

and ill need to check the over flow in the day light tomorrow, what are you thinking thsi might be dude
I'm not thinking anything specific at this point as there are a number of possible causes for what you're seeing. The reason I asked about dried coolant round the overflow is that this would lend credence to the theory that it might be boiling (and a lack of residue would tend to suggest that it isn't).

Also, how much loss are we talking about here? Are you constantly finding the header tank empty, or are we talking about checking it one day and finding the header an inch below the top one day, or...?
Old 08 December 2009, 07:05 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

could be headgasket or a split cylinder liner.
Old 08 December 2009, 08:26 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

If this started happening after you changed the turbo then you either have some airlocks or potentially the banjo's that supply water to your turbo may be weaping. Some new copper washers would sort that out.

Easier to see the weaping from the banjo connection when the engine is hot. It's not uncommon for this to happen after a turbo change and could be as a result of over or under tightening, equally a copper washer may not have seated properly when tightened.
Old 08 December 2009, 02:48 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

there are no leaks ive been down to se the lad who built it and it seemed fine how ever they have put a new rad cap on it as that was a an old one i will keep my eye on it and it was a very spirited drive down there for a good 35 miles of motorway
Old 08 December 2009, 02:54 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Did you find out about the coolant type and concentration HD? It would be well worth doing so and keeping some pre-mixed either in the car or by the front door so you're never stuck between a rock and a jug of tapwater.
Old 08 December 2009, 07:10 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

ive got some coolant at home loads of it that cool master blue type, but what mix would you suggest 60 anti freeze 40 water, im going to flush the system soon as im going to fit this zero sports thermostat and one of them metal plates to the radiator just to help keep things cooler any way oh and a reverse scoop oh and how about using that wetter water as well
Old 16 January 2010, 03:56 PM
scottyp
Scooby Regular

hi did you ever get to the bottom of this then ?
Old 16 January 2010, 04:32 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

could be as simple as the cap not sealing seen that come up recently
cheap so worth a go imo
Old 16 January 2010, 04:33 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

just read the above simples
Old 16 January 2010, 05:31 PM
Adam Davies
Scooby Regular

hi mate has it been over heating since the gasket was changed or has it started since. i had a car before that i changed the gasket on and had the same problem but it turned out that the gasket had benn cut in correctly and some of the coolant jacket holes were covered at the head to block.
Old 16 January 2010, 09:40 PM
5c008ystu
Scooby Newbie

mate im afraid its your head gasket its the exact same problem im having its fine when your not in boost but as soon as you get the preassure up in the cylinder it blows an air lock into the water system and then there is 2 much preassure in the water system then the valve in the header cap open the water comes pouring out the over flow .
mine is away getting fixed now costing me £700 to get done
Old 16 January 2010, 10:16 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Similar symptons to mine when the head gasket let go, do you heaters blow cold after giving it boost by any chance?