Notices

how much louder is a car after decat?

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2009, 05:30 PM
baggy62
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much louder is a car after decat?

Hello,
I am planning on upping the power on my 52 plate WRX at present the mods are only a cat back performance exhaust and performance panel filter, the plan is to replace the intercooler pipes to silicone, uprate the fuel pump, decat and a map,my only concern is the car is a daily driver to commute and use for business miles, I have been told that the decat will make the car very loud, with the present system, the exhaust note in the car at the moment is a cool deep burble that doesn't p*ss you off even spending hours in town or on the motorway, as I am going along the more power route, I expect some noise increase, but don't particularly want it over the top, ( that'll me be getting old then !!) so to any one who's done this how bad is it?
cheers
Baggy
Old 07 December 2009, 05:49 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You do realise that questions like this are entirely subjective? One person's "a little bit" might be another's "loads", so the best way to answer this question for yourself is either just to dive into it or else find someone local who's had this done and sit in their car.

In general, going from the standard to a catless downpipe won't make the car "very" loud unless it has a very loud back box on it, so the answer to the question depends largely on what you already have. If you've got a Firestarter, Afterturner or whatever other "Jap style" exhaust, it'll probably end up on the objectionable side of loud.

If you have something a little more reserved now, then it'll most probably still be livable with afterwards.

In addition much of the noise that emanates from a decat downpipe comes from the DP itself through the bulkhead. If you buy one and find it a bit louder than you want, heatwrapping it will quiet it back down a bit.
Old 07 December 2009, 05:56 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Makes a fair difference to be honest although I went from having a standard exhaust to a full 3" de-cat in one fell swoop. I know from when I fit my cat come MOT time that the car is so quiet and muted.
Old 07 December 2009, 05:57 PM
harwichscooby
Scooby Regular

ive got a wrx import 1997 mate complete decate, it is loud when i remote start from inside my house in the mornings to warm it up u can hear it clear as day in side my house when its on the drive, if you have to drive for a long period every day then it mite give u a headache? lol i prefer it loud as aseholes mate but each to there own
Old 07 December 2009, 07:06 PM
baggy62
Scooby Regular

yeah, I know its subjective was just trying to get a rough idea, my bike makes your ears bleed, but thats not an everyday means of transport,I think I'll go with it, and as suggested, I can knock back some of the DP noise with heat wrap,
cheers
Baggy.
Old 07 December 2009, 07:31 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once again splitpin,absolutley bang on,when i had my standard system and then had it decatted with a prodrive back box the system was not loud at all. Nice rumble on tick over and not too loud on high revs. When i changed the back box for an afterburner vortex the sound difference was amazing, deep rumble on tic over and a roar at high revs. At first i thought about selling it but now no chance i love the sound.
Old 08 December 2009, 01:57 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like said depends on back box.