Notices

replace crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2009, 06:23 PM
sti 360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace crank pulley

i have had to get a new crank pulley as mine came loose and has damaged the pulley,on further inspection i have noticed the crank woodruf key is been turned over a little.
do i have to remo ve the crank sprocket to get the key out or can i with some effort get the key out buy pulling,
if i get the key out without the sprocket being taken out will all the cams move and the timing go out
any help would be great
thanks matt
Old 25 November 2009, 06:29 PM
beezor
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be very careful with that woodruff key mate as i had the same thing happen on my car-the bottom crank pulley was loose and the woodruff key wore a groove in the crankcase and couldnt b fixed and that tiny little bugger cost me a 2nd hand engine! so tread carefully
Old 25 November 2009, 06:36 PM
sti 360
Scooby Regular

the first i noticed it was when the power steering went and the battery light came on on the dash,
looked under the bonnet to see the belts loose and the pulley hanging off,
them *******s that did my cam belt must not of tightened it back up right
lucky it looks like i just need a new pulley and woodruf key
Old 26 November 2009, 08:31 AM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Your going to make the mistake most people make when this happens, take the sprocket off & check the key slot in that, as that also has been running unclamped, & theres more strain on that than the main pulley.
If it is damaged get new as its timing the whole engine, & change the belt while your at it, its cheaper than an engine rebuild.
Old 26 November 2009, 10:26 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beezor
Be very careful with that woodruff key mate as i had the same thing happen on my car-the bottom crank pulley was loose and the woodruff key wore a groove in the crankcase and couldnt b fixed and that tiny little bugger cost me a 2nd hand engine! so tread carefully
How on earth can a key in the nose of the crankshaft (and sitting inside the timing belt drive sprocket and aux pulley) wear a groove in the crankcase?
Old 26 November 2009, 05:30 PM
beezor
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Splitpin
How on earth can a key in the nose of the crankshaft (and sitting inside the timing belt drive sprocket and aux pulley) wear a groove in the crankcase?
im no expert and i was told by olympian subaru when they discovered the crank pulley was loose that the woodruff key had worn a groove in wherever it sits-maybe its crankshaft then and i misunderstood but wotever it cost a lot of money 2 sort but thanks 4 belittling me mate-we arent all as perfect as u after all