Notices

Lost power

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2009, 02:54 PM
damandblast
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost power

Going to post this up since I have no idea whats going on with my car currently.

All started on Friday, I drove to work without any problems at all...just a little lumpy on performance but I thought this may be down to an air leak as I was loosing boost or my old MAF which was faulty.
However I then parked up at work and on my lunch break I changed the MAF over as I've just brought another one, so finished my lunch and left the car with the battery disconnected to reset the ECU. I've then come out to start the car and it sounded awful, wouldn't hold idle, wouldn't pick up revs and it reminded me of a tractor...rattle's could be heard in the exhaust note very easily.
I then thought maybe the revs aren't holding since I've fitted the new MAF so I gave it a couple of mins to warm up and let the car warm up fully prior to moving, once this was done it was holding revs fine and as I drove home the car slowly improved so I thought nothing of it.

I then got in the car yesterday morning to move it and she started fine with no idle or noticeable start up problems, I left it for another 7~8hours and came back to it in the evening to find she was running strange again. Start up was the same as above again which made me think the MAF was playing up once more...so I ended up driving to my friends house, stayed there for three hours and on the drive home my cars power slowly got lower and lower, It's gone from being lumpy on acceleration to now having nothing there at all. You can put your foot flat to the floor and not even pull off above 1mph. Revs on the spot wouldn't rev up as if there was a limiter, power got worse over time not instantly. So i could at one time get to 60mph, then 50...then 40 and so one until I couldn't even pull off (which is where I got recovered by my mother lol)

Anyway I changed the MAF over again, still the same...reset the ecu and again still the same, checked all boost pipe near the turbo and nothing seems to be leaking.

So any suggestions are welcome as I'm lost and I now have a car that won't move faster than 5mph.

Cheers

Jamie
Old 23 November 2009, 03:13 PM
solaman
Scooby Regular

probs with fuel pump, check connector under the back seat, may be shorting out and cutting fuel on and off, i had a similar prob and was this connector at fault 2 halves of plug had welded together causing it to short out now and again, or could just be the pump itself not pushing enough fuel through maybe.

solaman.
Old 23 November 2009, 03:39 PM
damandblast
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply mate,

Got a walbro fuel pump in my room but can't get outside to fit it due to the weather, just getting caught in rain everytime I go outside.
Old 24 November 2009, 03:45 PM
damandblast
Scooby Regular

Just an update on this one, I can pull off with a top speed of around 5mph.

Turn the car on idle is fine, as soon as you touch the accelerator pedal the revs will increase depending on pressure, then drop to 0 and stall once released or very nearly stall, when you apply pressure on the pedal you can feel a 'jerking' sensation or mis-fire? Not sure what's best to discribe it tbh. If you pull off and try to drive all that happens is you bonce back and fourth in the car as it's gaining then loosing the power again, boost is all over on the gauge. I believe it rev's higher out of gear and on the spot than it will whilst under load and moving, when rev'ing the car it pops & bangs very loudly, when I rev'd it on the spot it sounded like it had anti-lag.

I've just took my leads off the car today, any idea how I check the coils? As I haven't done this before.

Cheers

Jamie
Old 24 November 2009, 04:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer/speciallist, they will find the fault alot quicker than you can, and its cheaper than guestimating where the fault is
Oh and model/year is a good idea too

Tony
Old 24 November 2009, 05:51 PM
damandblast
Scooby Regular

It's a MY96 STI V3 import, going to take it to a speciallist when I have the money.

I'll check the coils when I work out how and I'm going to replace my fuel pump as I have a walbro sitting around anyway. Least it's a couple of easy things to remove from the engine that I can check myself without costing me money.

If it's neither of those then I'll be off to a garage to see what the problem is.