Bigger TMIC -help required-

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2009, 05:17 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger TMIC -help required-

Hey,

Been looking at some of the TMICs on the market.

Not wanting to go the FMIC way, for various reasons, which is the best TMIC for a newage WRX?

What are pros/cons over a standard WRX TMIC.

All help appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 19 November 2009, 05:56 PM
addison
Scooby Regular

what power you after?
Old 19 November 2009, 06:04 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

Tell you what mate give simon a call at chevron motorsport on 01785 223336, trust me he is the man he sets up cars for track and rally and has spent a lot of time developing an awsome tmic, he used to build them for maclaren, nuf said, he is responsable for all the work on john beeches impreza and thats doing rather well in races, tell him steve from nottingham sent you and im sure he will look after you, cheers steve.
Old 19 November 2009, 07:58 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by addison
what power you after?
Well the objective would be to go as far as you can on stock internals.
The car is a every day transport.

Obviously there are implications to the rest of the engine once you fiddle with something like the IC.

What is the most you can get from a TMIC (even without stock internals)?

Ta
Old 19 November 2009, 07:58 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a16pse
Tell you what mate give simon a call at chevron motorsport on 01785 223336, trust me he is the man he sets up cars for track and rally and has spent a lot of time developing an awsome tmic, he used to build them for maclaren, nuf said, he is responsable for all the work on john beeches impreza and thats doing rather well in races, tell him steve from nottingham sent you and im sure he will look after you, cheers steve.
Thanks for the contact.

Do they have a site?
Old 19 November 2009, 08:41 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Blimey, when was the last time McLaren used an intercooler on something? F1 cars normally aspirated since 1989, F1 and SLR roadcars normally aspirated...

Jan - the obvious upgrade from a WRX standard TMIC is an STi one - although the answer to your "which is the best" question depends a lot on how much power you want to run. Answer that first and it'll be easier for us to make an informed recommendation.
Old 19 November 2009, 09:47 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Blimey, when was the last time McLaren used an intercooler on something? F1 cars normally aspirated since 1989, F1 and SLR roadcars normally aspirated...

Jan - the obvious upgrade from a WRX standard TMIC is an STi one - although the answer to your "which is the best" question depends a lot on how much power you want to run. Answer that first and it'll be easier for us to make an informed recommendation.
As for the first part, the Sti one was what I thought.

As for the second, how much can you extract, while still making the car feel "everyday normal", with a TMIC?

Thanks
Old 19 November 2009, 10:04 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

STi7 onwards. Job done
Old 19 November 2009, 10:12 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed
As for the first part, the Sti one was what I thought.
MY01-05 is very good, MY06-7-8-9 is a bit better again. Newage WRX IC still produces reasonable charge temps at around 350bhp though, especially on a blobeye.

As for the second, how much can you extract, while still making the car feel "everyday normal", with a TMIC?
That's a bit of a confusingly-worded question. Whether the car will feel "everyday normal" or not is a function more of the overall power output and the response of the turbo than directly by the IC. However, to answer the question a slightly different way, the newage STi TMICs are good well over 400bhp.
Old 19 November 2009, 10:53 PM
JB1
Scooby Regular

You will be wasting the Chevron TMIC on a WRX, it will out perform anything you can do with standard internals and it isn't financially sound if you are going for 400 power wise. You can get that power with an STI TMIC (no-where near as efficiently, but it will do it).

As for which is the best... Due to the core and the efficiency, its the Chevron one. It's more efficient that front mounts (but i'm not getting into that argument again).

Re the Mclaren comment. Simon cut his teeth working on March, Mclaren, Judd, Lola etc. But working on them overall, not their intercoolers. He has a world of knowledge and I personally think he knows more about setup and preparation than anyone else in the subaru industry, but thats just my opinion and lots have their own favourites. I prefer his approach and rounded background rather than bolt on blindness.
Old 20 November 2009, 12:39 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
MY01-05 is very good, MY06-7-8-9 is a bit better again. Newage WRX IC still produces reasonable charge temps at around 350bhp though, especially on a blobeye.

That's a bit of a confusingly-worded question. Whether the car will feel "everyday normal" or not is a function more of the overall power output and the response of the turbo than directly by the IC. However, to answer the question a slightly different way, the newage STi TMICs are good well over 400bhp.
For the first part, I have a MY05 WRX so that is good info.

The second, basically is the answer to the question I should have made in the first place!

Ok, but what about the MY05 WRX hood air intake, does it need to be changed to the larger STi one, or will it suffice for a STi TMIC?

Old 20 November 2009, 12:42 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JB1
You will be wasting the Chevron TMIC on a WRX, it will out perform anything you can do with standard internals and it isn't financially sound if you are going for 400 power wise. You can get that power with an STI TMIC (no-where near as efficiently, but it will do it).

As for which is the best... Due to the core and the efficiency, its the Chevron one. It's more efficient that front mounts (but i'm not getting into that argument again).

Re the Mclaren comment. Simon cut his teeth working on March, Mclaren, Judd, Lola etc. But working on them overall, not their intercoolers. He has a world of knowledge and I personally think he knows more about setup and preparation than anyone else in the subaru industry, but thats just my opinion and lots have their own favourites. I prefer his approach and rounded background rather than bolt on blindness.
I see that you must have had some interesting exchanges on the "FMIC or TMIC which best" topics!

I was unaware that Chevron made such good ICs!
Old 20 November 2009, 12:43 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
STi7 onwards. Job done
Excellent info.

ps I have to get back to you on the other subject.
Old 20 November 2009, 04:00 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Any members got a TMIC beast to show?

Old 20 November 2009, 06:01 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Excellent info.

ps I have to get back to you on the other subject.
Fitted to my classic:

Old 20 November 2009, 07:54 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

bob shouldnt you have a hybrid instead.....
Old 21 November 2009, 03:56 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Fitted to my classic:

MY07 version?

I see you have shrouded the IC well, to avoid losses?
Old 21 November 2009, 06:55 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Blimey, that foam looks like a fire waiting to happen when it falls off onto the turbo
Old 21 November 2009, 08:49 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some reading for you.
Post 45 inparticular if you want first hand input from someone who has actually done both and made a lot of effort to make a fair assessment.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...99-harvey.html
Old 22 November 2009, 05:57 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Some reading for you.
Post 45 inparticular if you want first hand input from someone who has actually done both and made a lot of effort to make a fair assessment.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...99-harvey.html
Thanks, but that is for a Classic, does it differ much from a Blobeye?
Old 23 November 2009, 12:45 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

As I have not specifically tested a Blobeye back to back TMIC vv FMIC I don't know but what I do know is that I ran an STi WRX UK at close to 350 bhp with the TMIC as fitted to that car by Subaru and if I was going to go much beyond that say 380 bhp it would have had a front mount where I know there would have been gains to be had.
I say this because of the monitoring we conducted on that car for ACTs and pressure drop.
Old 23 November 2009, 12:52 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mus 1st class sti type r
bob shouldnt you have a hybrid instead.....
I can't see why? With 340bhp, the STi TMIC is what I use and recommend. Capable of more than worrying some 500bhp+ cars

The next stage will indeed include a Aztec supplied Hybrid GT2 FMIC (along with a 2.35ltr, AVCS, GT30 etc).

MY07 version?

I see you have shrouded the IC well, to avoid losses?
Just to create a seal in the absence of a undertray.

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Blimey, that foam looks like a fire waiting to happen when it falls off onto the turbo
Yeah, it was a bit too much and was trimmed.
Old 23 November 2009, 01:24 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

As I have not specifically tested a Blobeye back to back TMIC vv FMIC I don't know but what I do know is that I ran an STi WRX UK at close to 350 bhp with the TMIC as fitted to that car by Subaru and if I was going to go much beyond that say 380 bhp it would have had a front mount where I know there would have been gains to be had.
I say this because of the monitoring we conducted on that car for ACTs and pressure drop.
Read the posts you mentioned, and thanks for the info.

Has helped me understand a lot about the FMTI/TMIC issues.

Old 25 November 2009, 12:56 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Just to add, if someone has an entrenched position but does not make use of air charge temperature and ambient temperature monitoring then their opinion is unlikely to be from a position of knowledge and therefore what they say could well be poo.
Old 25 November 2009, 12:59 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks, but that is for a Classic, does it differ much from a Blobeye?

make s a big difference to all the cars, here ya go

http://www.scoobyclinic.com/download...coolertest.pdf

Last edited by Tidgy; 25 November 2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 25 November 2009, 02:42 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Just to add, if someone has an entrenched position but does not make use of air charge temperature and ambient temperature monitoring then their opinion is unlikely to be from a position of knowledge and therefore what they say could well be poo.
Copy.

Basically you have to have all the ambient/car info you can, to know what you can or are doing at any one time.
Old 25 November 2009, 02:43 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy

Thanks!

Old 27 November 2009, 08:22 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Exactly.
Old 27 November 2009, 10:15 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tidgy

All this shows is that on a dyno with an air cooling system that is obviously incapable of replicating the airflow that a TMIC would see on the open road, you can generate bigger dyno figures using a FMIC. If you drive your car on a dyno using a piddly fan like that for cooling, it's probably quite a good test. For real cars on the real road, it's totally meaningless.
Old 27 November 2009, 12:44 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by lunar tick
All this shows is that on a dyno with an air cooling system that is obviously incapable of replicating the airflow that a TMIC would see on the open road, you can generate bigger dyno figures using a FMIC. If you drive your car on a dyno using a piddly fan like that for cooling, it's probably quite a good test. For real cars on the real road, it's totally meaningless.

lmao, go and stand in front of the fan and see how piddly it is. The fan is aimed directly at the front of the car, the scoop is in as much airflow in both accounts. So its back to back, so any iacuracies caused by dyno/road are exactly the same for front and top mounts.

Dyno's will never replicate full driving conditions. However, the difference between road and dyno is you can control the forces involved on the dyno but the airflow speed is lower.

Power is all about inlet temps, no one can argue that fact. The cooler the inlet, the more oxygen there is to burn. The first thing to consider is the size. Lets face it, the scoop aint very big, 3 inches, by 15 inches (without measuring im guessing here, the relevance will become apparent). The bumper hole is what 8 inches by 20 inches.

3*15 = 45 square inch
8*20 = 160 square inches.

so your getting 3.5 times the cooling area, just based on airflow alone, not taking into account any heat from the engine bay.

so how can 3.5 times less area produce the same cooling? and thats not taking into account any sort of airflow movement (balooning) caused by the shape of the bonnet.

Now before you go on about there is no ballooning have a look at this,

this thing has the areodynamics a car company would love to have on a normal car. No road going car has them as efficient as something like this, and the first thing you can see is the smoke line hits the front and gets kicked up away from the bonnet, where the scoop would be (mid bonnet) i'd estimate form the pic its about an inch off the bonnet, so the 3.5 inches suddenly becomes 2.5 reducing the area to 30 quare inches.

Even on the road you can see inlet temp difference between a top and front mount so your argument has no basis on fact at all and does in fact go against the data that has been proven by many a person.

Quick Reply: Bigger TMIC -help required-