Notices

HOW DO YOU CLEAN RUSTY BRAKE DISCS

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2009, 11:45 AM
joe joe88
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW DO YOU CLEAN RUSTY BRAKE DISCS

As above realy i had to strip my breaks front and rear off the car but now need to re fit them so can put wheels on to move the car (on axle stands at the minute)

I was careless with the discs as i didnt think i'd be using them again, however havent got the money for my new big brakes yet so have no choice.

Also what oil pump do i need for my 1998 classic uk turbo 11mm or 12mm?? i was looking at modified ones on rcm website

Thanks
Old 18 November 2009, 11:54 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends how bad. If really bas, use a wire brush attachment on a drill or grinder. Get the roughness off, and let the brake pads do the rest.
Old 18 November 2009, 11:58 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

What has rusted on the discs, the friction surfaces or the faces that sit against the hub and wheels?

If it's just the friction surfaces, don't worry about it, they'll clean up as soon as you apply your brakes. If it's the flanges, especially the hub side, try and clean them up as best you can with a wire brush on a drill or similar. If you've left them outside and they've rusted really badly, I'd have done with it and replace. OE discs are cheap nowadays.

Assuming you're just replacing a standard pump on a standard or mildly modified engine, you don't need either of those two. The "standard" RCM modified pump, which has a 10mm rotor, will work fine.
Old 18 November 2009, 12:45 PM
998dave
Scooby Newbie

wire brush or wire wool, (wear gloves either way).
Old 18 November 2009, 12:58 PM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

you can hammerite or similar the hub part of the disk to make it look better, wish i'd done mine before i fitted them tbh, 3 weeks old and look well orange ghetto now.
Old 18 November 2009, 02:02 PM
joe joe88
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
What has rusted on the discs, the friction surfaces or the faces that sit against the hub and wheels?

If it's just the friction surfaces, don't worry about it, they'll clean up as soon as you apply your brakes. If it's the flanges, especially the hub side, try and clean them up as best you can with a wire brush on a drill or similar. If you've left them outside and they've rusted really badly, I'd have done with it and replace. OE discs are cheap nowadays.

Assuming you're just replacing a standard pump on a standard or mildly modified engine, you don't need either of those two. The "standard" RCM modified pump, which has a 10mm rotor, will work fine.

They are rusted on both the friction part that the pads touch and the hub part i was going to use a wire brush on the hub part anyways but just wondered what to use on the surface of the friction part as i though a wire brush mite do damage.

Also re-building engine to high power (400bhp approx) so will need good oil pump
Old 18 November 2009, 03:04 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

as above...

wire brush the non padded area, then just use brake cleaner to remove the dust / loose stuff and grease, from the surface before assembling

smooth hammerite is great for the hub parts !!