Notices

Hawkeye STI overheating or sound about right ?

Old 15 November 2009, 02:34 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye STI overheating or sound about right ?

Just looking for a bit of advice from fellow STI drivers before I book the car in with Subaru tomorrow......

I have recently brought an 06 plate Impreza STI with PPP, and everything has been running very nicely indeed. Last weekend I took it to be serviced (About an hour's drive from home) and as I pulled up at the garage I noticed that the temp gauge was well up - between 3/4 and the red dots. I sat in the car for a while and just watched the gauge and very slowly it started to drop down but it still seemed very high to me at least the 3/4 mark. I asked the people doing the service to check things over and they did comment there wasn't much cooleant in the reserve tank but other than that everything appeared to be fine.

Over the last week the car's been doing short runs and I've not had any problems at all. However I took the car out today and was doing some err "spirited" driving shall we say and again the temp seemed to jump right up - over the 3/4 but not quite to the red dot's, although at one point it did touch on it but dropped down again quite quickly.

I've checked the coolant in the radiator and it's topped right up and the coolant reserve it still topped right up. Hot and cold air both work perfectly as does the A/C. The fan comes on and seems to be working fine, but still the temp does seem high to me. The only other comment I can make is that on the very odd occasion you can hear what sounds like running water behind the dash - but I don't know if that's relevant.

So what are people's thought's does that sound like an issue or does that sound about right for an STI after it's been driven hard ??

I've got a 3 month RAC gold warrenty when I brought the car so I can get it booked in if anyone thinks it could be an issue ??
Old 15 November 2009, 03:55 PM
cptcaveman
Scooby Regular

I'm definitely no expert, but I had a very similar problem. my 06 STI would overheat very occasionally, and only after a long hard run. It took 2 visits to the dealership for them to diagnose it as a head gasket... when they did the test for exhaust gases in the coolant.

Like you I sometimes get the running water noise, so I was hoping it was some sort of airlock.

If its still under warranty, i'd get them to test it, before it runs out. If it is the head gasket it won't be cheap if you have to pay for it.

Hope its something simple
Old 15 November 2009, 05:55 PM
spec d
Scooby Regular

My 07 sti spec d circa 360bhp 380 ft/lb, temp never moves out of the normal range even when giving it some beans
You definitely need to get this checked and sorted out
Old 17 November 2009, 05:37 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

I have had an 04, 55 and currently have a 07 plate hawkeye. they have never budged when it comes to the water temp moving. However all three cars do the rushing water thing behind the dash.. I have no idea why so I would like to know about that too??

I did notice that the coolant level seemed to need topping up all the time on my 04 blob eye. I didn't own the 55 plate for long (6 weeks) and i have only owned my 07 for about two weeks. but the gauge never moved on my 04..

Depending where you live i would recomend Subaru keith price in south wales..
Old 17 November 2009, 06:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Early 2.5's are a bit reknown for blowing head gaskets, id get it check out tbh.

Tony
Old 17 November 2009, 09:10 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Well it's covered by a warranty so went into a small local garage today who were basically useless. Said they have checked everything they can think of and can't find anything wrong with it.

It's now booked into a main line Subaru dealer for tomorrow for them to do a proper diagnostic check on it.

Will know more tomorrow........
Old 17 November 2009, 09:23 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

good luck buddy. lets us know how you got on.
Old 17 November 2009, 09:45 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Those oe gauges aren't very accurate so if she's reading high on temps, it really is high...good luck pal.

The other test is coolant that changes colour from red to yellow if gases mix, I've got that stuff in...
Old 17 November 2009, 11:38 PM
Motion-Mx
Scooby Regular

I get the running water noise when just started from cold,I have an 03 STi,had it for 2 months now and never over heated,runs perfectly.
Old 18 November 2009, 10:20 AM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

LOL - Just had main Subaru dealer on the phone and they can't find anything wrong with it either. Apparently tthey need to try and replicate the fault before they can investigate it properly so have asked my authorisation to take the vehicle on a "long" run, and then test it again later today.

Will update as and when I hear back from them !!
Old 18 November 2009, 10:40 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sure I read a similar thread recently that quoted replacement rad caps. Running water sound could suggest air in the system. Get yourself a Scangauge II, I have one in my MY06 STi and it tells me temps, fault codes etc. Very useful as I know my car never goes over 95degrees tops and motors in high 80's on cruise.
Old 18 November 2009, 11:05 AM
AmandaHenderson
Scooby Regular

I dont think its your head gasket, your heaters in the car would blow cold!
I have an 07 Hawkeye and agree with some people as my temp gauge has neve moved! It stays just over the quarter mark even when the car has done some 'hard' driving.
Also the rush of water sound, I think is nothing to worry about. I get it all the time in mine and Ive had it nearly 2 years. Before I had a bugeye prodrive and that did the same thing! Good luck!
Old 18 November 2009, 05:32 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

The plot thickens !!

AMC Subaru have called me back and advised that following the long run they have done some tests and have found something out of place but as yet they cannot put their finger on it. Chap said the test for exhaust gases in the head gasket did reveal something but it wasn't what he would have expected to see if the head gasket was on it's way out - apparently the dip stick thing changed colour but not the colour it would go if there were exhaust gases in there :-S

So at the moment they are not exactly sure what the issue is. They are going to run some more tests tomorrow to get a conclusive answer and come back to me.

Bets anyone ??
Old 19 November 2009, 08:30 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bets on sticking thermostat ..
Old 19 November 2009, 03:04 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Well now we really are stumped.

AMC Subaru have called back and said they have run every single test they can think of and can't fault the vehicle in any way shape or form. All the diagnostics have come back clear, they have tested for gasses in the head gasket for a second time and everything has come back crystal clear. As far as they are concerned the car is in perfect condition with no faults at all.

I asked the engineer if this could be symtomatic of imminent head gasket failue and as far as he is concerned he's done every possible test he would do if he suspected it and nothing has come back what so ever.

So I've basically been told the only thing I can do now is replicate the fault and drop the car off back at Subrau with the fault actually on the car. Failing that there's nothing further they can do :-s

Is it possible that Subaru or the other smaller garage have tightend a sir clip, or nudged the thermostat or something similarly stupid and resolved the problem without realising it ??
Old 19 November 2009, 03:12 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by STI Mav
Is it possible that Subaru or the other smaller garage have tightend a sir clip, or nudged the thermostat or something similarly stupid and resolved the problem without realising it ??
Yes.

if the problem no longer is there then rejoice
Old 19 November 2009, 03:14 PM
Motion-Mx
Scooby Regular

could have been a bit of an air lock that has cured it's self?
Old 19 November 2009, 03:19 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Well I'm planning on taking the car out tonight and giving it a good hammering for a few hours to see if I can get it to do it again.

So if you see a Blue Hawkeye coming up behind you, I'm not racing I'm just testing the car !! Not sure the Police would accept that one but there you go !!
Old 19 November 2009, 03:42 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the expansion bottle level get too high and start to weep a little?
Old 19 November 2009, 03:47 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Nope, water level in the coolant bottle doesn't really go down much at all or bubble out.
Old 19 November 2009, 03:54 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Odd there's no coolant loss if the finger is pointing at a HG.

I've just cured a coolant problem on my 06 STi. The thermostats seems to have been sticking intermittently and had the coolant weep.
Very occasionally the temp gauge slowly started to raise and then suddenly fall back to normal. Last time it did this on the drive and the fans kicked in for a long time. Found the radiator was stone cold even after a 200 mile journey

A coolant and thermostat swap (plus a few airlocks removed) and all seems back to normal.
Old 19 November 2009, 10:29 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Just had the Scoob out for a 100+ mile run over 2 hours plus. That was a mixture of A roads M roads, country roads around Essex. I threw in some driving on full boost and some more reserved motorway crusing and everything was perfect - temp gauge didn't move an inch.....

That was until I did a quick loop of Southend seafront right at the end. Going along the seafront over the sleeping policemen the temp gauge jumped to the 3/4 mark as I pullede away from each one then dropped down again quite quickly, once I was over those it dropped back to the middle and didn't budge. Got home and sat on the driveway reving the engine a little and again the needle jumps up to 3/4 but doesn't go any higher than that (didn't drop down either mind you).

So it seems to be better than it has been - the temp isnt getting as high but it's still moving ??

Smarts of an airlock in the coolant system or maybe a sticking thermostate - thoughts anyone ?

Last edited by STI Mav; 19 November 2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 19 November 2009, 10:39 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Butty - Just read your post above mine sorry. Sounds like I have a very similar issue to yours now ?
Old 19 November 2009, 10:53 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Shall I say thermostat again ?
Old 19 November 2009, 10:57 PM
Scooby Senior

Yes please

I'd get AMC to check the coolant for debris and as luck would have it please fit my new Zero Sport 71degree opening thermostat which has the benefit of failing open....at the same time.
Old 20 November 2009, 09:04 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
Shall I say thermostat again ?
Shout louder next time. - though I'm sure some posts have appeared that weren't showing for me yesterday.

Also have to mention that in the course of tracking this down, I picked up on both rad caps leaking and the top hose had gone all "floppy".
Presumably they have been cooked with the hottest coolant rising to the top of the cooling system.

Nick
Old 20 November 2009, 09:06 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Yes please

I'd get AMC to check the coolant for debris
For the last few months, I was dragging out odd bits of small black stuff - wonder if that was wax from the thermostat?
Old 20 November 2009, 09:48 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

I had similar debris.

Coolant change / Thermostat change and all good.
Old 20 November 2009, 11:39 AM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Right ok - comments read and understood.

I've ordered myself a Zero/Sports cool running thermostat and have booked the car into my prefered place to do an install of the stat and a full coolant change for me.

Fingers crossed this will solve the issue.
Old 20 November 2009, 11:44 AM
Scooby Senior

Make sure whoever does it, checks it fully before you take it back for air locks !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hawkeye STI overheating or sound about right ?