Newage questions

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2009, 03:02 PM
Motion-Mx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage questions

Hi,

had my 03 Sti for a few weeks now and I have a couple of questions that I'm not sure on...

one of the belt pulley's squeek's...I'v sprayed a little WD40 onto the back of the belt pulley on all the pulleys I could get to and it stopped for a short while,it's now back and I just wondered if it's a common thing and more so is there a fix?

secondly,I have a little trouble selecting 1st and 2nd and even selecting out of 2nd, the linkage or something seems stiff,this get's better as the car get's hot,I had the gear **** cover off and sprayed some WD40 down the gold arm but it didn't seem to do much. I'm not sure if it's the clutch on it's way out?

the clutch bites at the top of the pedal stroke,I just adjusted the master cylinder rod and it's made it a little easier but still not fixed.

any thoughts on that?

Thanks,Ben

Last edited by Motion-Mx; 29 October 2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 29 October 2009, 03:55 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the odd squeak mate but nothing awful so it doesn't worry me - think it's normal.
I have mine serviced at a good dealer regularly and have never had it reported as a problem. If it's loud or continuous may be worth looking at.

Your problems with selecting 1st and 2nd does sound odd. Mine's done 75k miles but I don't have that issue. Sometimes difficult selecting third from second when going quick, but then my clutch probably is due for renewal soon. My clutch doesn't bite right at the top - it starts to bite from about half way up IIRC. Can check if you want.
HTH
Old 29 October 2009, 04:48 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I thought a clutch should bite near the top of the pedal travel???
Old 29 October 2009, 05:12 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

hi mate i had the same problemon a different car integra dc5 would crunch trying to get into second but as soon as it was warm it was smooth as a new gear box i got the gearbox oil replaced and this sorted the problem as for the high clutch

i have the same as you been into subaru main dealer and ive been told that this is perfectly normal but if you still have doubts get it checked and defo get the gearbox oil changed

steve
Old 31 October 2009, 10:17 PM
handsome rob
Scooby Regular

hi there, i also have an 03 sti, i think maybe the 6 speed gearboxes are a bit oil sensitive, had mine 3 years now, when it had the major service i had millers fully synthetic oil put in the box and rear diff and was expecting a smoother gear change, but i didnt think it changed gear as nice after the oil change, so defo change the oil before you think somethings wrong.
Old 31 October 2009, 11:12 PM
Motion-Mx
Scooby Regular

hey,

did you have the miller oil taken out?any ideas what oil is good for the 6 speed box? i checked the oil level in the gearbox and it's full.

I noticed today,when i get one of these stiff gearchanges,if i keep pressure on the gear **** with the clutch depressed,and give a slight blip pn the throttle it goes in gear,this to me say's it's an actual gearbox wear problem,right?
Old 31 October 2009, 11:47 PM
handsome rob
Scooby Regular

hi, no i just got used to the difference and it hasnt changed in the last two years, thats why i think different makes might give very different results, i cant really recomend anything else as im not sure myself tbo, i think genuine subaru before service, i would still try an oil change before a gearbox though