Notices

HELP! rocker cover!

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2009, 04:42 PM
600_syco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! rocker cover!

hi people i have just gone to changed my rocker cover gasket and its still leaking after new one fitted! after many times of having it on and off ive snapped the middle bottom bolt and theres half a bolt now left inside the thread !!! its too far inside for me too grab the edge to get it out! as theres not alot of room is this and ENGINE OUT JOB?? or has this happend to some of you unfortunate people too and know of a way to drill it out ??? please help its a 1998 impreza turbo 2000 v4 thanks people
Old 18 October 2009, 05:30 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Re. the leaking rocker gasket; even with a new one you need to apply ThreeBond to the front faces around the cam caps, and the rear faces where the D's are, so this alone may explain the continued leaking - unless of course it's coming from one of the bolt seals.

As for snapping the cover bolts, how much torque were you trying to apply? They're only supposed to be firmly hand tight - think the correct force is 12Nm or thereabouts.

Re the snapped one, can you get anything to grip it and turn out the thread? Would be worth trying to shove a flat-bladed screwdriver, a serrated pin punch or some similar implement against it just to see if you can get it to turn. Often you get lucky.

If not, then yes it will be engine out in order to drill what's left and get a stud extractor down it.
Old 18 October 2009, 05:52 PM
600_syco
Scooby Regular

i tried the sealant i just didnt want to put too much on but will try what uve said ; )
as for the snapped bolt theres not anything sticking out for me too grab i thought of the same idea with the screwdriver its just there is no room to get 1 in there can you drop the engines on these? it only has to be a little bit! and do you know if haynes do a manual for these many thanks split pin