Panel Filters

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2009, 12:37 PM
peat729
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panel Filters

Hi Guys

Can you please help. I am looking to replace my standard panel air filter on my 2005 wrx wagon with a performance one, what would you recomend?

Oiled vs Non Oiled?

Paper vs Foam?

All suggestion gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance
Old 10 October 2009, 02:11 PM
Nemesis_911
Scooby Regular

A lot of people say non-oiled is better on the MAF sensor. I know in the older models the oil can cause inaccurate readings and even damage MAF sensor.

The whole paper vs foam thing is a big toss up. In some respects it depends on which company's advertising you're reading. My 98 V4 came with an HKS Super Hybrid dry type panel that flowed pretty well but I run a paper filter in there now, due to the HKS eventually reaching the end of its lifespan. Thinking of going back to HKS though. I've also seen from various tests that the APEXi paper CONE filters have the best flow and filtration out of a bunch tested and I believe the same may be true for the panel filters too. In that test the only thing that came close was a K&N also another paper filter and known for their excellent Panel filters but these panels need to be oiled.

Here's the link for the test:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

I've heard that the APEXi Panels flow and filter best much like their cone counterparts. I've also been considering getting one of these but in some instances they're about twice the price of the HKS Panel.

If you wanna go paper and non-oiled and don't mind paying a little extra I'd suggest looking at the APEXi.

Hope this uncoordinated ramble helps...
Old 10 October 2009, 05:55 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

hi bud.i use a green panel filter with good results.i used to run a unknown (cheapy i think)cone filter and alloy tube with good results also although i changed that to the panel filter under recommendation.i once tried a new k+n cone but didnt get on with that at all.each to their own and all that lol.