Notices

Bugeye dumpvalve

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2009, 05:03 PM
SILVERSCOOB81
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye dumpvalve

Hi asking this on behalf of a friend so here goes. What is the best dump valve i.e performance vs cost for a 2002 bugeye STI uk spec.

Any ideas and where the best place to get them most appeciated

Thanks
Old 14 September 2009, 05:16 PM
dave_garrett
Scooby Regular

You wont gain anything performance wise, in that respect all dump valves are the same. Forge are a nice bit of kit and not to badly priced (they do a choice of recic and VTA as well). Personally i think the nicest sounding DV's are the Blitz items but these aren't cheap (£250 plus I think but might be wrong). What about running without a DV, sounds best in my opinion?

So the answer is 'it depends what you want'. Loud? Quite? Bling? Recirc? VTA? Cheap? Expensive? Just about every tuner on here sells a different dump valve.

Hope this helps .
Old 14 September 2009, 05:16 PM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Wink

The standard on on it is the best one for the job.
Old 14 September 2009, 05:28 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

what is it with all these dump valve questions today?
Old 14 September 2009, 05:41 PM
Scoobynodd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SILVERSCOOB81
Hi asking this on behalf of a friend so here goes. What is the best dump valve i.e performance vs cost for a 2002 bugeye STI uk spec.

Any ideas and where the best place to get them most appeciated

Thanks
Hi there fella,

I'll probably get a good flaming for this, but anyways...

When you say 'performance' dump valves / blow off valves (same thing, just different name - potato potarto), don't actually 'perform' per say, that is, one doesn't necessarily 'out-dump' or 'out-blow' another. But you will get people that will say "go for this one, it's the best there is" or don't buy manufacturer-x's as they are rubbish" (which I'm about to say actually lol). At the end of the day it might be said are better built or better designed than others; piston dump valves, diaphragm dump valves, and so on. But whichever you opt for it will do the job you require of it (<<now I've also worded that carefully too as some folks will say they are entirely pointless - I disagree, but that's me personally). What I'm mainly trying to get at is which one you go for could simply come down to budget as well as personal taste, as for example one can actually give a totally different sound to another. Now whilst we're on the subject of sounds (here's where I say, "don't buy that one" lol...) when I bought my 1st Impreza (an old '96) it came with a nasty old Forge piston-type effort, that made a feeble 'f*rty-type' sound - drove me daft. So I decided to save my pennies and opt for the famous HKS SSQV, now these are expensive, but seem to be much loved and are very well put together items.

<<Don's flame suit>> to any clever monkey chewing his banana reading this whilest dreaming a clever response - no I did not choose the SSQV, nor decide to run a dump valve just for the noise it made! Altho the noise did factor in it lol, especially after that horrible f*rty thing! <<paranoia mode off, flame suit off>>

But there a number of good valves out there, I'm sure folks will chime in with their reccommendations. Price wise varies hugely. From around 60 to 70 for Forge and similar items through to the 200 and beyond mark for Japanese items - HKS, SARD and so on. I was lucky - I found my SSQV in an auction on the 'bay brand new and boxed for £160 (shop price: add around another 100 typically)

...I actually kept my HKS valve when I sold my old impreza, as the only thing that made them 'car specific' was the adaptor flange they mount with, I'll be fitting it to my new blobeye as soon as I get they correct adaptor flange.

Hope this was of some help (probably not lol, but that's bov's for ya)
I'm assuming your mate know's the purpose they serve, if not, me and dozen or more others will happily fill him in at the risk of the limited warrantee on our flamesuits lol.

Nod.

Last edited by Scoobynodd; 14 September 2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 14 September 2009, 06:36 PM
SILVERSCOOB81
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advise boys ..I know there isn't much performance wise to be gained I was thinking more build quality more than anything I have the ssqv on mine and love the sound so I might recommend them.

Thanks again fellas