Notices

knock through FMIC pipework?

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2009, 03:24 PM
Austrian Impreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knock through FMIC pipework?

Is it common, that noise is transfered through the FMIC pipework?
I have some strange knocknumbers even with (4-5°) retarded ignition compared to my standard map I normally use, so I canīt believe this is real knock!
I see knockvalues up to 78 on the Power FC.
Please let me know, if you had such strange noise with FMIC pipework!
Old 14 September 2009, 05:14 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting some high knock readings on my power fc and i took the car to Andy Forrest to have it checked out. He connected all his equipment up to the car and we went off for a run to see what was happening. My knock readings were only ever spiking up when i lifted off.

He mentioned a case he had where it was the intercooler pipework that had caused the same thing on another car. There was a join in the pipe work that was joined using some silicon hose and some large jubilee style clips. The two parts of the pipe were knocking together giving false knock readings.
Old 14 September 2009, 08:39 PM
Austrian Impreza
Scooby Regular

I will have to check the whole pipework, Iīm afraid, would be interesting, if someone had the problem with the pipe going through the inner wing on the drivers side (UK).
My pipe has full contact with the inner wing, normally feeding the airfilterbox...

I also had high numbers, when shifting through the gears and this could be the same problem as you have got, but I tried to leave the pipework as far from each other as possible, so I think the pipes do not touvh each other.
Old 14 September 2009, 09:04 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

may have a simple solution heat wrap the pipes. this should reduse noise if they are touching then see if that affects the count. i have a sti 5 tmic on a version1/2 wrx so this is in contact with the bulk head, you can hear this upon startup and does not affect the count. i havve seen highvalues 62 the highest so i stay away from 6k+ rpm. would like to think it may be the tmic causin the values.
Old 15 September 2009, 11:06 AM
Austrian Impreza
Scooby Regular

Yes I will try to wrap the pipes where they touch the inner wing and all the other parts and hope itīs gone afterwards!
Old 25 September 2009, 11:06 AM
Austrian Impreza
Scooby Regular

Took some vacuumlines and placed them in the innerwinghole and on the ABS line (that touched the pipework as well) and now some strange things happened...

Took the car out for some testruns, already with the retarded ignition - and the warninglight (check engine) flashed again. Bad something must touch the pipework anwhere. Tokk a look at the logfile and guess what...there is no knock over 25, the MAF voltage is not over 5V and the injectors are not near 98% duty!

What can make the cel flash in this case???
Doesnīt the Power FC only have these warningfeatures or are there some hidden warnings built in?

After this testdrive I wrote the "old and even safer map" than I use normally onto the ECU and I never ever saw higher knock than 17 between the gears (when shifting)...
Iīm totally confused and a bit scared about the flashing cel during the first run, can anybody explain this phenomenon?
Old 25 September 2009, 01:27 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Im not as much as an expert as some, but have a FMIC and Simtek ECU.

Are you happy that the pipework isnt hitting the cam cover at the front? Mine was.

Also, worth checking that the ignition wiring that runs down the left of the engine, by the coolant tack, arent too close to the ignition (HT) leads- I got a lot of interference from the HT leads which caused issues with the engine seeing the errors reading the cam position sensor, which caused lots of weird error codes.