pdm
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short block build

Mornin'

Got some quick question's about a short block build. I read this

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ion-maybe.html

but still not clear.

How do you stop the con rods scoring the bore when removing pistons ?

Seen a youtube vid where all conrods torqued up to crank and then crank dropped in one half of block before other side fitted and torqued up - again how do you stop the conrod scoring the bore ? I suppose at least on going back together you can fit something over the end ? Guy in the vid then turned crank to check for binding with conrods loose in bore and just running up and down on bore ?

Having put block together how do you line up the conrod so the piston goes onto it correctly ? I can see how you would turn the crank to line up the gudgeon pin hole by turning crank, but when you put piston in, how do you know its "seated" correctly on the rod ? What I mean is, if block is horizontal then rod will be on the bottom face of the bore - surely it needs suspendingin the bore somehow to allow the piston to go over the top and the holes all align ready for gudgeon pin ? Even if block vertical the con rod must lean against one side of bore ?

thanks - sorry if these are a bit numpty.
Paul
Old 13 September 2009, 02:24 PM
DEKLA
Scooby Regular

LEAVE IT TO THE PROS , LOL ! THERE ARE BLANKING PLUGS ON THE THE REAR AND FRONT OF THE BLOCK WHICH U REMOVE AND ACCES THE PISTON HOLE WITH THE CONROD SLOT THE G/PIN IN AND SECURE WITH THE CIRCLIP ! ABIT PAIN TO DO BUT JUST NEEDS A BIT GETTING USED TO . WHO STRIPPED THE BLOCK AS U GOT TO GET TO THESE G/PINS TO SPLIT THE CONROD AND PISTON ?
Old 13 September 2009, 05:53 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A piece of rubber hose over the small end of the rod's will prevent them contacting the bores on assembly.

You can move the rods by hand through the sump to ensure they line up as you push the piston's down onto them.
Old 13 September 2009, 07:56 PM
pdm
Scooby Newbie

ok cheers - forgot the sump wouldn't be on at this point

thanks
Old 14 September 2009, 07:35 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

i can't understand this. why would you risk wrecking an engine by doing this work yourself if you don't have a clue how to do it?
Old 14 September 2009, 08:47 AM
pdm
Scooby Newbie

Fair comment bigsinky - but everyone's got to start somewhere.

I'm looking into a kit car at the moment (mid-life crisis !!) - murtaya is one option (BMW based GKD is the other) and at the moment just trying to understand what's involved. Doing research via t'internet and that was one question I thought of whilst reading up on the short part block of the build process...

I figure may as well ask and as long as I understand answer then all is good.

If the answer to the above had been "you need special tool costing £000's and even then you need years of experience" then that may have counted towards discounting a scooby donor. At the moment BMW's look easy comparatively.....

Whatever I do the build part is more important so I really want to do the kit car thing properly and strip and rebuild everything myself. Sure it'll be a steep learning curve but to me that's the point of doing it. And when I eventually drive it, it'll be all my own work good or bad - if it's catastrophic then at least I tried !!

Hopefully won't upset everyone on here bringing up the spectre of stripping down a classic - gulp !!
Old 14 September 2009, 01:36 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

pdm, power to you... everyone has to start somewhere, and I didn't know either, even if I do think I know roughly how to assemble / disassemble a "normal" engine.