New Car Battery required

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2009, 09:49 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Battery required

Guys,

It looks like the battery on the old girl has given up on me. Left it on charge over night and she was still flat this morning.

Not sure how old it is but looks a pretty good unit Exide. So, I need a new one.

Been looking at other Exide ones but I like the look of the Optima Red top. A bit pricey but worth it?

What would you suggest? Would the battery need to change with power? So I need one for 400bhp+ for the car.

Not running ICE or anything to run her flat. I run a OBDI scanner but runs live only with ignition and boost gauge again with ignition.

Steve
Old 11 September 2009, 10:30 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

I do not think you do not need a more powerful battery unless you start wiring in large ICE systems etc.

The Optima Red battery is excellent but is expensive. This would be my choice if I was going to relocate to the boot.

Odyssey do an excellent light weight battery.

You could use a battery from a Mitsi Evo, these are smaller but just as powerful as standard.

Or you can go for the direct replacement Halfords calcium battery. I have a spare one of these at home, fully charged which you're welcome to buy for £30 (I think retail is £80).. nothing wrong with it and welcome to test etc.
Old 11 September 2009, 11:40 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Hey matey,

Thanks for the reply. I want to relocate my battery to the rear but cannot do so at present as I have to put pushchairs etc in there at present. Bugger.

I do think the Optima Red Top looks good. I don't run ICE but looking at a battery to hold a charge for a long period of time.

May check out the Odyssey range too (thanks for that) and think about the EVO battery too.

In regards the battery you have I may pass dude as it's best for me to get the warranty etc from new. Where are you located though out of interest?

Regards
Steve
Old 11 September 2009, 12:09 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
Hey matey,

Thanks for the reply. I want to relocate my battery to the rear but cannot do so at present as I have to put pushchairs etc in there at present. Bugger.

I do think the Optima Red Top looks good. I don't run ICE but looking at a battery to hold a charge for a long period of time.

May check out the Odyssey range too (thanks for that) and think about the EVO battery too.

In regards the battery you have I may pass dude as it's best for me to get the warranty etc from new. Where are you located though out of interest?

Regards
Steve
No problem..

The Optima would be the best choice for cars that spend time not being used. Although I've left mine (with the Halfords battery) for four/five weeks before and still starts without issue.

Odyssey are probably a better choice for a track car or for someone who likes pies and wants to make weight savings else where.

I'm not sure if the EVO battery is lighter but it is definitely smaller which will give you more space for fmic pipework etc if you're planning on that.

No problem re my battery. SE London if you do need it for a quick fix until you chuck out the buggy and relocate to the boot .