Notices

Help my Carpets soaking

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2009, 04:00 PM
iain mackintosh
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help my Carpets soaking

I need a bit of advice. Just bought a classic 1999 impreza turbo and its letting in a serious amount of water when it rains. The front and rear passenger carpets are soaking. Could this be coming from the boot which also regularly fills up with water (common problem, I know). Any ideas on how to dry it, or fix it?
Also there is a leak that comes from the inside front of the roof at the rear view mirror. There is a wee bit of rust at the top of the windscreen and the seal seems a bit out of place. Any ideas how I can fix this and who can i get to fix it?
Old 09 September 2009, 04:11 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They can leak above the ECU kick plate to the left.
Old 09 September 2009, 04:47 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

My rear carpets use to get wet (newage), and it was because I had a leak from the boot seal, which ran through the boot, under the rear seats, and down on the the carpets.

Some silicone sorted out the rear seal
Old 09 September 2009, 06:25 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by iain mackintosh
I need a bit of advice. Just bought a classic 1999 impreza turbo and its letting in a serious amount of water when it rains. The front and rear passenger carpets are soaking. Could this be coming from the boot which also regularly fills up with water (common problem, I know). Any ideas on how to dry it, or fix it?
Also there is a leak that comes from the inside front of the roof at the rear view mirror. There is a wee bit of rust at the top of the windscreen and the seal seems a bit out of place. Any ideas how I can fix this and who can i get to fix it?
Could be the door seals are naffed, ensure that all the water drainage ways are clear of dirt/leaves etc, the rust on the other hand is more of an issue, it will require a full roof respray and see if you can get the windscreen seal fixed at the same time, that may be one of the problems you have (cost around 150 for a roof to be resprayed, though it depends on where you are, cost me for the roof, both rear arches, boot and blending into the rear quarters 700 quid).
Oh the boot may be from the seals on your rear spoiler, easily sorted with some new ones

Tony
Old 09 September 2009, 08:37 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

Default leaking

well differnet car but hears how i found it.was a 3 series bmw and was leaking..like a fish tank inside.i took the carpet out and drieed outside.made sure all the drain holes were clear etc.got in the car and got sumone to stick a hose and work they way from bottom too top and then front too rear and you should get rough idea where its coming from.hope tht helps a bit
Old 09 September 2009, 08:42 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

while the carpet was out i washed it too and also sealed all the inside of the car interior with body sealant.you can buy tubes of sealant for windscreens.they are runny than normal sealant and will follow the curves easy by use of gravity and wont be as noticable as a big blob of silicone.get the torch in under the dash etc while car being hosed over.just question of how bad it is and how fast it will run in.if you dont want take carpet out you could always stick a fan heater in there too dry out the carpet but keep eye on it incase overheats etc.
Old 09 September 2009, 11:44 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My99 has had the odd leak, front screen is bonded in this will need to be removed and re-bonded, if there is any rust at the top of the screen this will need treating and can result in a roof re-spray. Rear lights leak and give you a damp boot, i have had the car since new and the problems started at about 8 years old, door seals are good unless the car has had any accident damage. thats all i have had now got 120,000 on the clock now.
Old 11 September 2009, 03:33 PM
iain mackintosh
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for all the help guys. I will give the car a good going over with a hose n see what I find. How easy is it to get the carpet off and back on again?