Decat Frontpipe Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2009, 01:04 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decat Frontpipe Help Please

Hi all

I tried to fit the decat frontpipe i bought from ebay to my classic with Full PPP trouble is it seems to long and the bracket does'nt line up with the mounting on the car, could i have been sent a newage pipe??

Please help as i need the car for work and its in bits
Old 28 August 2009, 01:12 PM
will_wrx
Scooby Regular

What make is it? The bracket may not line up if its a cheapish one, thats not a major problem.

It cant be a newage, unless its a 1 piece catpipe/downpipe, as new age has 4 sections of exhaust as opposed to 3 pieces on the classic.

Do you have any pics?

Old 28 August 2009, 01:18 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Thanks for reply, not bothered about bracket even although its a good bit out, but the pipe seems too long to fit
Old 28 August 2009, 01:19 PM
will_wrx
Scooby Regular

They are fairly long! Have you tried fitting it all up on the car with the cat back on?
Old 28 August 2009, 01:30 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

The front decat pipe seems way to longer than the original frontpipe alsoto put the old pipe back on the gasket is £27 from subaru
Old 28 August 2009, 02:17 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

You can see its agood bit longer, cheap part i think or for a diffrent model

Old 28 August 2009, 02:26 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it off ebay? A seller/shop called 2fast2furious or something along those lines?

There has been issues before with these pipes being different lengths. My mate had a problem with his, ended up buying the centre pipe and backbox from the same firm, and they all fitted when together.

Trending Topics

Old 28 August 2009, 02:30 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

sell it me sell it me, the one I got sold was too short lol ( and that wasnt from a cheap ebay source but was still Crap)
Old 28 August 2009, 02:43 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

It was from 1stcarparts it was on offer for £98 now i know why
Old 28 August 2009, 03:58 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

It sounds like the pipe was made for a new age car to replace the first 2 sections of exhaust.

When you compare the lenght of a Classic downpipe with the lenght of the first 2 sections on a new age you will find that the new age is a bit longer.

Because the distance from the turbo to the rear silencer is the same on both types of vehicle, you will find that the centre section on the new age is shorter than the classic to make up for the difference in lenth of the front sections, so you could source yourself a new age centre section and you should find that your new downpipe will fit.

Phil
Old 28 August 2009, 05:49 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Barretts Motorsport
It sounds like the pipe was made for a new age car to replace the first 2 sections of exhaust.

When you compare the lenght of a Classic downpipe with the lenght of the first 2 sections on a new age you will find that the new age is a bit longer.

Because the distance from the turbo to the rear silencer is the same on both types of vehicle, you will find that the centre section on the new age is shorter than the classic to make up for the difference in lenth of the front sections, so you could source yourself a new age centre section and you should find that your new downpipe will fit.

Phil
Thanks for the help, But i already have a prodrive centre section and backbox and want to keep them, i'm gonna complain to the ebay seller as he said it was for a classic
Old 28 August 2009, 06:16 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Certain types of image are blocked on our internet access at wk, so could not see your posted Pic when I replyed.

I am now at home and have seen the image of the pipe you have bought.

If you look at the flange where it would meet the centre pipe it does not have the boss to take the subaru dougnut gasket to allow for a flexible joint & would not therefor seal against a std design Subaru centre pipe. (I.E. Prodrive, Subaru, Hayward & Scott Etc Etc) It looks like it has been designed to mate with the aftermarket manufactures centre section only.

Also it has a boss welded near the bottom end & near the top end of the pipe to take sensors. Only new age cars on, had two sensors in this section of exhaust. A classic car had only one at the top & of course the pipe was shorter.

Last edited by PeeVee; 28 August 2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 29 August 2009, 11:14 AM
just123
Scooby Regular

Certain types of image are blocked on our internet access at wk, so could not see your posted Pic when I replyed.

I am now at home and have seen the image of the pipe you have bought.

If you look at the flange where it would meet the centre pipe it does not have the boss to take the subaru dougnut gasket to allow for a flexible joint & would not therefor seal against a std design Subaru centre pipe. (I.E. Prodrive, Subaru, Hayward & Scott Etc Etc) It looks like it has been designed to mate with the aftermarket manufactures centre section only.

Also it has a boss welded near the bottom end & near the top end of the pipe to take sensors. Only new age cars on, had two sensors in this section of exhaust. A classic car had only one at the top & of course the pipe was shorter.
Thanks for your help mate, looks like i should have reaserched this before i bought, can you recomend a decat frontpipe that will be campatible with what i've got also the donut gasket from subaru is £27 can i use anything cheaper also do i have to put the heatshield back onto the turbo moving heatshield on and off is a major nuisance as i had to remove the intercooler i must say though all the 10mm bolts came off no problem
Old 29 August 2009, 11:53 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Just expect to pay around double for a decent one, I saw one from ***sp**d and it looked really cheap and nasty.

IMHO

dunx
Old 29 August 2009, 01:23 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

As Dunx say's, you are going to pay at least double for a decent quality one that is going to fit correctly.

The 2 well known brands IMHO would be Hayward and Scott or Roger Clark Motorsport, as for the cheaper options, well..... as they say "you pay your money and you take your chances".

You could always look out for a second hand one on places like e-bay.

You really do need to re-fit the heatsheild to the turbo as it can get red hot (literally) and you realy don't want the components around the turbo to be exposed to those sorts of temperatures. Also you will find that when you fit the de-cat pipe it will have a wider neck where it mates to the turbo which will prevent the fittment of the shield, so arm yourself with a decent pair of tin snips and modify it to accomodate the new pipe.

As for the doughnut gasket, I don't know of any aftermarket versions available so I think you are limited to the Subaru product, which, I have to say, is expensive for what it is, but I have found this today:

Subaru impreza turbo cat pipe-centre downpipe gasket on eBay (end time 29-Aug-09 18:48:30 BST)

and you may wan't to get one while he still has them.

I hope you get it sorted as it really is a mod worth doing & you won't find a cheaper way of getting this sort of power increase.

Good Luck
Phil
Old 29 August 2009, 02:11 PM
Petbeemer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by just123
It was from 1stcarparts it was on offer for £98 now i know why
From the name it don't sound like he's a Scooby boy does it
Old 29 August 2009, 03:17 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

As Dunx say's, you are going to pay at least double for a decent quality one that is going to fit correctly.

The 2 well known brands IMHO would be Hayward and Scott or Roger Clark Motorsport, as for the cheaper options, well..... as they say "you pay your money and you take your chances".

You could always look out for a second hand one on places like e-bay.

You really do need to re-fit the heatsheild to the turbo as it can get red hot (literally) and you realy don't want the components around the turbo to be exposed to those sorts of temperatures. Also you will find that when you fit the de-cat pipe it will have a wider neck where it mates to the turbo which will prevent the fittment of the shield, so arm yourself with a decent pair of tin snips and modify it to accomodate the new pipe.

As for the doughnut gasket, I don't know of any aftermarket versions available so I think you are limited to the Subaru product, which, I have to say, is expensive for what it is, but I have found this today:

Subaru impreza turbo cat pipe-centre downpipe gasket on eBay (end time 29-Aug-09 18:48:30 BST)

and you may wan't to get one while he still has them.

I hope you get it sorted as it really is a mod worth doing & you won't find a cheaper way of getting this sort of power increase.

Good Luck
Phil
Thanks for the info mate, I should have went for the roger clark one in the first place, also what kind of power increase will i be looking at the car already has full Prodrive performance kit fitted ECU, Intercooler hoses and middle decat
Old 02 September 2009, 05:47 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Update

Got another decat pipe from ebay from 2fast2cool and it fitted perfect its a japspeed brand and it was £134 delivered and all other bits and pieces from subaru came to £43 Gasket, bolts ect

Car is running superb after a ecu reset but after reset check light started 3 slow flashes then 2 rapid repeated instead of the 1/2 second intervals,

Turbo seems to be whistling all the time and is very noticable, Car already has the PPP kit fitted anybody know if i will need to get a remap