Notices

poor performance

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2009, 12:03 AM
DRE
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy poor performance

Hello all @scoobynet.com first of all I have purchased a 1998 uk sports wagon 2lt turbo I have owed the wagon now for a few weeks and all ready i have accrued a problem !!!! Here goes was cruising up on to slip road, Ran the wagon through the gears hitting around 6,1/2, 7thou not redlining it but just giving it a bit, but as i hit 5th engine noise changed tone like it running fluffy and didn’t respond to acceleration, just doesn’t feel to perform as it should I don’t have no smoke coming out from back, no oil in the water no rattles from engine, turbo okay, not kicking me back into my seat as it should or as it would!! Performance is very poor!!!Using more fuel and when i start the it wagon it seems to idle too high around 1,1/2 thou plus but not above 2 and i have a digital blitz turbo timer which reads minus.63hkpa the bit i don’t understand so if there anybody out there who could shed some light on the matter above it would be appreciated thanks all @ scoobynet cheers for now DRE
Old 27 August 2009, 12:11 AM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any modifications to the wagon?
Old 27 August 2009, 12:13 AM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe popped off a hose somewhere so loosing boost
Old 27 August 2009, 12:56 AM
DRE
Scooby Newbie

The only mods that i know of is a s/steel exhaust /forge dump valve,And its had the engine replaced @89000 by warrington engine center and as far as a pipe blown of or torn i thought it may be but as to which one, there are so many PIPES ?were do i start and would the cat make any differance if it was faulty ,cheers scoobyricht
Old 27 August 2009, 08:38 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DRE
Hello all @scoobynet.com first of all I have purchased a 1998 uk sports wagon 2lt turbo I have owed the wagon now for a few weeks and all ready i have accrued a problem !!!! Here goes was cruising up on to slip road, Ran the wagon through the gears hitting around 6,1/2, 7thou not redlining it but just giving it a bit, but as i hit 5th engine noise changed tone like it running fluffy and didn’t respond to acceleration, just doesn’t feel to perform as it should I don’t have no smoke coming out from back, no oil in the water no rattles from engine, turbo okay, not kicking me back into my seat as it should or as it would!! Performance is very poor!!!Using more fuel and when i start the it wagon it seems to idle too high around 1,1/2 thou plus but not above 2 and i have a digital blitz turbo timer which reads minus.63hkpa the bit i don’t understand so if there anybody out there who could shed some light on the matter above it would be appreciated thanks all @ scoobynet cheers for now DRE
Do you mean a blitz "boost gauge"

-63hkpa is the vaccum as apposed to +?? being boost.

As said above sounds loke a pipe off, listen for and air leak noise, and as for 'which pipe', all of them, check, remove and clean if required, no one can tell you which pipe unless they can see your engine in the flesh
Old 27 August 2009, 10:57 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

What boost are you getting at say 3500rpm full throttle in 3rd/4th?

Simon
Old 27 August 2009, 10:54 PM
DRE
Scooby Newbie

hi there B13BAT , yes i stand corected it is a blitz boost gauge,turbo timer, lap counter,all rolled into one, As for minus vaccum and hardley any boost = no power then cheers for now DRE
Old 27 August 2009, 10:59 PM
DRE
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by DRE
hi there B13BAT , yes i stand corected it is a blitz boost gauge,turbo timer, lap counter,all rolled into one, As for minus vaccum and hardley any boost = no power then cheers for now DRE
Old 27 August 2009, 11:07 PM
DRE
Scooby Newbie

Hi Simon just landed on computer ,read your reply and i will give it a go tommorow (friday)so thanks for your time and i will get back in touch (fri) if its okay ,thanks again Simon..... DRE (out in sticks)
Old 27 August 2009, 11:09 PM
scooby350bhp
Scooby Regular

check the back of your intercooler for any pipes there which may of come loose
Old 27 August 2009, 11:24 PM
DRE
Scooby Newbie

hello there scooby350bhp you say check for any pipes from intercooler ,when i flip me bonnet ,intercooler sat on top, i see 1short pipe connecting cooler to head, so there are more were underneath dam i need day light thank god its friday soon cheers for now DRE!!!??? sod it were,s my head torch im going out there now Ill be back (lol)
Old 27 August 2009, 11:32 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Just a thought, it's not the dump valve stuck open/broken spring is it?
Old 27 August 2009, 11:35 PM
DRE
Scooby Newbie

No dude it,s working fine cleaned it just the other day....
Old 31 August 2009, 10:14 PM
DRE
Scooby Newbie

Hi si sorry about my delay in reply, So took it out for a run & @ 3500 rpm it read .42 on digital boost gauge/lap counter/turbo timer/boost warning/what ever it is stuck to my dash
Old 01 September 2009, 12:01 AM
DRE
Scooby Newbie

Default poor performance

Originally Posted by The rookie
What boost are you getting at say 3500rpm full throttle in 3rd/4th?

Simon
hi si sorry about my delay in reply, So took it out for a run & @ 3500 rpm it read .42 on digital boost gauge/lap counter/turbo timer/boost warning/what ever it is stuck to my dash p,s if the cat has blocked would that make differance
Old 01 September 2009, 12:25 AM
Tizer
Scooby Newbie

I had a similar problem and i could not finger it out for months. I tryed everything that was mention already. I checked boost control solenoid= ok then MAF = ok. I changed the plugs and began to run fine again for about 2-300 miles then back to no boost and running slow will burning more fuel than when it was working well. Long story short it turned out to be weak coil packs giving me a bad spark the un burnt fuel wass messing with the o2 censor making it go in to a sort of low boost safety mode and It was souring up the plugs.
Any way this could be your problem have a check or change the plugs and see if there clean. This is a cheap test compared to some of the other possible causes, hope this helps.
Old 01 September 2009, 11:44 PM
DRE
Scooby Newbie

Hello there tizer thanks for the reply as far as plugs i have had the wagon serviced the other day so plugs have been changed ,but no differance to performance,fells a little fresher but not much in change,wagon goes to garage to rip the cat out,(thurs) if there is no change then i will look into your theory,the coil packs and ave the boost looked @,so thanks for now tizer, & yes this will help as any advise is a little hope ,cheers DRE
Old 02 September 2009, 12:38 AM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DRE
Hello there tizer thanks for the reply as far as plugs i have had the wagon serviced the other day so plugs have been changed ,but no differance to performance,fells a little fresher but not much in change,wagon goes to garage to rip the cat out,(thurs) if there is no change then i will look into your theory,the coil packs and ave the boost looked @,so thanks for now tizer, & yes this will help as any advise is a little hope ,cheers DRE
It wouldnt be the first time a coil pack has been damaged during a spark plug change. Was it running fine before the service?
Old 02 September 2009, 01:05 AM
DRE
Scooby Newbie

hi there petedotuk no mi wagon hasn,t been running right even prior to servive so i thought i would start @the beggining prior to my first post from (scoobyricht,cheers lad)ie pipe,s cleaned, if you read my original post,27 aug 09,the wagon was serviced 28 aug 09 thanks petedotuk.
Old 02 September 2009, 07:53 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

0.42 is far from the right boost, its either gone into limp home or there is a problem with the boost control circuit.

Simon
Old 03 September 2009, 12:45 AM
DRE
Scooby Newbie

hello si thanks for reply, i,ll try and get garage to have a look @ it today (fri) i wonder why it has been running @such low boost (was previous owner hidding something)cheers for the suggestion si i,ll get back intouch as to my proggresion.,???!!!!