Notices

Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2009, 05:25 PM
ratracker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please

Started from cold, let the car idle for a while by the time i set off the temp needle was halfway. Straight on to dual carriage way slowly through the gears into 5th pushed accelerator to the floor and got a fluctuating acceleration, power, no power, power, no power etc. It was not too juddery.

Came off at next junction and for the rest of the trip and back accelerates as normal in 5th and all gears with full boost.

What do you think might of caused this?

The car does judder pulling away in 1st most the time which is clutch related i think. I'm thinking the 5th gear issue could be clutch related as the clutch would have been cold if that makes a difference!!!

I have never had a clutch go on me so I don't know what slipping clutch feels like. The clutch in the car is a paddle clutch and has covered 7k just road use.

Thanks
Old 25 August 2009, 05:36 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Not exactly giving us much to go on there. If it was clutch you'd have seen the revs (and heard the engine note) rising as it slipped - as if you'd pressed the pedal. Did you?

Sounds more like an engine/boost control issue than anything else at this stage. If it was major overboost with consequent fuel cut, you'd have felt it judder sharply, and wondered whether you were going to headbutt the windscreen. Take it that doesn't fit with what you experienced?

What type/MY of car? Any check engine light?
Old 25 August 2009, 06:38 PM
ratracker
Scooby Regular

The revs did not go up, so sounds like a engine/boost control issue - no check light came on. car is a 95 RA ver 2.

It only happened once so is it likely to be a ECU issue or engine itself? I have an apexi fc fitted.

Thanks
Old 25 August 2009, 09:11 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Momentarily fuel starvation?

Were you really low on fuel at the time? (admitttedly not likey, seeing as you'd just gotten onto the m/way).
Old 25 August 2009, 09:22 PM
ratracker
Scooby Regular

full tank, but it did feel very similar to fuel starvation.

just been out for a few runs and it was doing it again - in all gears for the first two runs then fine for the remainder runs no engine check light.

the car was upto temp again before i blitzed it does the turbo need to warm up before giving it?? turbo is a tdo5 16g

thanks
Old 25 August 2009, 10:04 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Are you saying it only does it when warmed up and/or after really hooning?

If so, I think the cam sesnor - or would it be the crank sensor?! - could be on it's way out, as when they're knackered and they get hot they give erroneous values, adversly affecting running. When they cool down again... hey presto... car back to normal....
Old 25 August 2009, 10:23 PM
ratracker
Scooby Regular

I idled the car until warm then set off and did not use any boost whilst driving until i got onto the slip road and then I gave it the "full beans" on to the carriageway which was when the problem occurred - after a couple of blitz all was fine after that, which makes me think the turbo needs to be eased/warmed up a bit before giving it the full beans, is this correct?

Thanks
Old 26 August 2009, 10:16 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Hmmmn, if you idled the car until warm then you shouldn't have any problems.

I know if I try to boot mine from cold (just an experiment the one time - I don't do it now), then it can hold back i.e. not give full boost and juddered like it was starved of fuel/misfired. But once at normal op. temp. then it's fine.

NOTE: BTW, I understand that it's not good for a turbo car to just be sat stationary waiting for the motor to warm up - they don't like it. Don't know the reason though... (bore wash?).