Notices

ECU help please

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2009, 09:26 AM
Danowrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU help please

I have a Impreza 97my UK spec 2000 turbo which has the immobiliser chip in the key and in the ecu and was wondering what could be done to it without having to get a daughter borad or an Apexi etc. With the ecu I have been told that I could get another one off of a better spec i.e v4 sti or such like and have the immobiliser bypassed by changing over 4 wires. That way I can also change the turbo from a TD04L to a TD05H and also fit a bigger intercooler and run 440 inj with out to much hassle. Maybe somthing like this
Page Not Responding
I have a 8S ecu
How true is this and would it be advisable to do so, The car is a daily runner and isn't really thrashed around too much as its a family car
Also what would mine be classed as does it come under the classic for some of the parts
cheers guys and girls
Old 17 August 2009, 08:58 PM
coops1
Scooby Regular

You car is a classic V3 mate (maybe a V4). If I was you and you are looking for more power get yourself a new ecu with a std bass-map on it you can run with. Then get all the other bits together that you want to put on the car. Bolt them all on in one hit and then go get it mapped all at the same time. You can get most of the parts you are after for not a lot of cash, the biggest coast as im sure you know is in the ECU and the map. Unfortunately you are in the same boat as me and have one of the cars with the crap 3 plug ecu which are rare as rocking horse poo and cost loads more than others... Saying that there are always one or two "3 plugs" on here and ebay though.
Old 17 August 2009, 10:03 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Danowrx
I have a Impreza 97my UK spec 2000 turbo which has the immobiliser chip in the key and in the ecu and was wondering what could be done to it without having to get a daughter borad or an Apexi etc.
Not a lot. You could use a manual boost controller to up things a bit but beyond that...

With the ecu I have been told that I could get another one off of a better spec i.e v4 sti or such like and have the immobiliser bypassed by changing over 4 wires. That way I can also change the turbo from a TD04L to a TD05H and also fit a bigger intercooler and run 440 inj with out to much hassle.
No, that's not particularly good advice. You could swap in an STI version 3 or version 4 ECU, sure, but they are mapped for the VF23 and VF24 turbos, and for the phase 1.5 STi engine (with much more aggressive cams). Dropping one in, even with the right injectors, alongside a TD05 with a UK engine would be a mismatch that would be unlikely to put a smile on your face.
Old 17 August 2009, 10:56 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danowrx
I have a Impreza 97my UK spec 2000 turbo which has the immobiliser chip in the key and in the ecu and was wondering what could be done to it without having to get a daughter borad or an Apexi etc. With the ecu I have been told that I could get another one off of a better spec i.e v4 sti or such like and have the immobiliser bypassed by changing over 4 wires. That way I can also change the turbo from a TD04L to a TD05H and also fit a bigger intercooler and run 440 inj with out to much hassle. Maybe somthing like this
Page Not Responding
I have a 8S ecu
How true is this and would it be advisable to do so, The car is a daily runner and isn't really thrashed around too much as its a family car
Also what would mine be classed as does it come under the classic for some of the parts
cheers guys and girls
The sti engine is different in many ways along with the turbo, maf, inlet pipe to maf, injectors etc
Old 17 August 2009, 11:05 PM
Danowrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice guys I thought the info was maybe a big vauge.