Notices

Superchips - any info?

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2002, 11:08 AM
wrx-jase
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone give me any info on superchips? I bought a 93 WRX with a P1 (allegedly) engine and a superchip. It certainly goes like stink and seems to be happy as larry under all conditions. As for ECU's etc Ive no idea whats on it. Due for a 30k service and check over at Scoobysport this week but would appreciate any info.
Cheers.
Old 11 March 2002, 11:35 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmmm not many people like superchips due to a failure rate of subaru engines fitted with said item....
A link or the standard P1 chip would be better as its mapped for 95 ron fuel and would stop det in the engine.
If it is a P1 engine its going to have a red top (being an STI engine) otherwise me thinks someones been pulling your leg (check out www.sidc.co.uk and see if the engine serial numbers are on there)

Tony
Old 16 March 2002, 01:49 PM
tntsystems
Scooby Regular

superchips only turn up the boost so i am told by powerstation in cheltenham, i plumped for a unichip, which, combined with the oscar exhaust, is pushing 260bhp from my 97my uk turbo (120k miles) :P
Old 20 March 2002, 10:55 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Jase,

Had a S/C in the mota for 2 years m8 running 26psi w/o probs
Took the precaution of fitting an HKS AFR at the same time though BTW if u have a P1 engine IMHO it should have all new harnesses and the P1 ecu As far as i`ve been made aware the old harnesses were no use for a P1 engine as was the old ecu. (only know because I almost did this swap on my own car)

Pete
Old 20 March 2002, 11:29 PM
Marc R
Scooby Regular

From what I've read s/chips trick the ecu and do give extra boost without adjusting fueling etc. All a bit above my car knowledge but the chip is a piggy-back not a re-programmed unit. This months fast car (prelude on the front has a review on chips) probably worth a read. good luck.
Marc
Old 21 March 2002, 12:03 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Yes it does raise the boost without adjusting fuelling, but ive hesrd the impreza runs rich enough to cope with 18/19 psi, so running 17 psi should be fairly safe, or as pete says really go fot it!
i mean everyman and his dog are fitting dawes, is that not raising the boost without adjusting fuelling??
Yes and now people are talking bout fuel cut defenders so they will be running even more boost without adjusting fuelling.

i know you loose the fuel cut with the superchip which is obviiouly risky, but as long as pipe doesent come off and boost to infinity it should be o.k as long as its set to run at a safe boost and not be greedy.

how many people actually have first hand experience of a superchip blowing a car up when set up properly and people havent thought ill just run abit more boost before its gone pop?
seems alt of i heard this or read that or so and so...

seems to me subaru engines could go pop anyway? so who's got the evidence any sort of chip was thhe culprit?

I really cant see the difference between 17psi dawes and 17 psi superchip if you have a boost gauge and monitor it?

waiting to be shot down by all the guru's

all imho and im no techincal head so i await your flaming.

cheers Lee
Old 21 March 2002, 06:58 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheerz 4 the vote Lee

U raised the key expresion there m8 "set up properly",
When I had mine boosted 2 the max we set it up with a gas analyser,
and egt probe. As soon as there was any trace of knocking we dropped the boost a little and locked the valve there
What about a boost controller I hear u ask? I used the loud peddle and my right foot As I say ran it like that for 2 yrs w/o any probs. Also have a few friends who followed the example and are still happily running them, me I moved on to the link cause I needed more control over the ECU to take advantage of various
"upgrades"

L8r
Pete

[Edited by teknopete - 3/21/2002 6:58:46 PM]
Old 22 March 2002, 10:26 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't understand the not adjusting fuelling bit. What if you had a system where the mass of air flowing into the engine was measured by a sensor and then fuel was added in proportion according to a map based on load and RPM? The result would be that at increased boost levels even beyond the end of the map, the ECU would fuel to the last known air fuel ratio target.

This would be a nice system for tolerability for different modifications. And it seems to be the system Subaru use.

Otherwise people that bolt on a VF22 would all blow up their engines if the ECU put in fixed aliquots of fuel. Whatever your views about the appropriateness of that, they don't all blow up.

It seems that actually a lot of Superchipped cars run very rich - eg 11% CO. Please note that I am referring to MY99/00 UK cars. I expect imports are another matter entirely and require a lot more caution with a Superchip

My only objection to the Superchip is that it abolishes rather than raises fuel cut, hence the mentioned problem of silly overboost if there is a fault - how many normal cars do you hear about overboosting on especially with boost changes and breathing mods? I want it there on my car.

[Edited by john banks - 3/22/2002 10:27:23 AM]
Old 22 March 2002, 11:59 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

falkland performance told me they can raise the fuel cut to a new level,with a superchip if you ask them to.
Old 23 March 2002, 11:16 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no presently available Superchips product to raise the fuel cut on Subarus, but it is apparently planned - a "watch this space". I will update when I hear more nearer to release.
Old 23 March 2002, 11:29 AM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

My main objection to a Superchip is the price you pay for what you get
As John B mentions in an earlier post .....Zener diode and bleed valve.........mmmmm 20 quid me thinks

Maybe the stickers are expensive
Old 23 March 2002, 10:05 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

If i knew you got stickers id of gone for it! LOL
Old 25 March 2002, 06:04 PM
wrx-jase
Scooby Regular

Turns out it wasnt a P1 engine after all! But thanx for all the replies it certainly seems to be a talking point. Has anyone had a superchip fitted to a scooby that has subsequently gone bang?