Notices

boost issue, what else can i check???

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2009, 10:58 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost issue, what else can i check???

on sunday i joined a few ppl and we went on a driver to elan valley. awersome drive and was a little fast in places.

well on the way home me and dan had a spirited drive of our own (when it was safe).

well as we comeonto the motor way i had a pipe pop off in the wing so my car died. now i was stuck on the hard sholder and would of been very very dangerous for me to attempt to try and fix it at the side of the road and it was in the o/s wing. so as i could see a layby about 50 yards ahead of me i thought i have to try and get the car there! now the car started and but obviously i struggled to get the car there. in 1st chugging upto the layby. belowing smoke as no air and only fuel getting into the engine.

i reached the layby and replaced the pipe for a longer piece of samco and jubilee clipped it up tight so that i could get home and rip it apart to fix properly.

so i drove back to cardiff at slow speed and i didnt race off as i knew i had over fuelled the engine and wanted to be as cautious as possible.

i got home and replaced the pipe and made sure everything was tight. all sorted! no!

i took the car for a drive and now i am over boosting all the time. before i was only boosting to 1.1-1.2 and holding all the way to redline. now i am hitting 1.6-1.7 and its cutting out. but drops back to 1.1 and then up again.

i have checked all vac pipes for leaks. and nothing is split. have changed over the pill and nothing. also the car feels lumpy. i dont know if its me being paranoid but it does see lumpy when pulling away from cold

any help greatly appreciated, i feel like smashing something at the moment

ps. i had this issue before, i had the vf35 restrictor pill in to go with the turbo and did some work on my engine fitted new inlet pipe. then had this problem with boost so i changed the pill for one off a p1 and all was sorted. until now
Old 11 August 2009, 11:30 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

ok been working on it tonight. so a little update

checked all vac lines and nothing. replaced the resistor pill with a different one. nothing changed and was still over boosting.
tried a manual boost controller which was in my mates car and he is running 1.1 bar so this should of restricted mine, but still nothing. now i cleaned all vac lines and the wastegate solinoid.

this had started happening when fitted inlet pipe but stopped when fitted p1 resistor pill. now its still better with the p1 compared to the vf34 pill but didnt change with the boost controller.

anything else i can check. its only been like this since i had a pipe pop off and i did notice oil in the intercooler.

someone must be able to help? any advice is better than nothing
Old 11 August 2009, 11:37 PM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

this may be a shot in the dark but have you checked oil breather pipes for splits and especially the pcv valve? and make sure no leaks from the air flow mass sensor to the turbor inlet?
Old 11 August 2009, 11:45 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

i have a catch tank fitted?
Old 11 August 2009, 11:50 PM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

only thing i can think of is test that the actuator diapram is ok? if its broke deffo get overboost.
Old 11 August 2009, 11:57 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

how do i do that mate. sorry to sound dull. i aint honestly. just wanna make sure i do it right
Old 12 August 2009, 12:11 AM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

well basically i had this problem once,i connected a rubber tube to the actuator,and i blew down the tube and listened if i could hear any air escaping via the diaphram,if you do the actuator is knackered,if you don't,there is another test you can do,and after some homemade mods,i used a football adaptor,i with a bicycle pump to force air into the actuator to see if the rod would extend.now do this very slowly as the diaphram is not bulletproof.if the actuator moves then its ok.try this.
Old 12 August 2009, 10:11 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

cheers mate. i like your thinking. will give this a go when i get home from work tonight
Old 13 August 2009, 09:28 PM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

hi mate just wondering how did it go with your boost problem?
Old 14 August 2009, 12:05 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

didnt get a chance the last 2 days. so tomorrow i am going to try what you said, if that fails i start on more fault finding. got a boost solinoid off a 07 sti and hopefully a different acurator. but they were free so not much of an issue.

do you have any idea if bosst fluctuation would be something the acurator would do if it was faulty?
Old 15 August 2009, 09:41 PM
wrx1stone
Scooby Regular

personally i have had boost fluctuation,i tried all tests and all looked ok,so then i tried a forge actuator and all was well,it seems the old actuator diaphram was ok but the spring was probably weak,and temperatures affected its reliability.it would fluctuate betwen 0.7 to 0.9 bar,but the forge held it constant 0.9bar.
Old 15 August 2009, 11:14 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

i see. well my over boost problem seems to be sorted. i have fitted a wastegate solinoid off a 07 sti and that has done the trick.

also got a tester and tried my acurator. it was ok till 14-15psi and then it would loose pressure really quick so i think this is the reason behind it.

may look for a forge one or have the one my mate says he got for me