Notices

new oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2009, 11:04 AM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new oil pump

hi guys just had my wrx 97 rebuilt and i been told its wise to get a new oil pump at the momment i carnt afford a new pump but when i get paid at the end of the month then i will but till then should i just take it easy cos i got to run it in for 1000 miles so i wont be going fast till after that anyway so question is will it be ok to run with the old one for a few weeks going under 60 and no more then 3000 revs and how much would it be for a oil pump and to fit it
Old 06 August 2009, 01:28 PM
bigsigh
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea why you had the rebuild , but IF it was because you had a damaged bearing or holed a piston or something similar, i would say you have been recommended a New oil pump as there could be debris in the old one, Not being a mechanic by trade I guess im not Qualified to say YES or NO directly to your question, but when i rebuilt my own engine i was advised that it is good practice to replace the oilpump.

All IMHO of course, good luck
Old 06 August 2009, 02:25 PM
shogo10
Scooby Regular

I would have thought that since the engine was out being rebuilt, could they not have tested the old one, to ensure it was fine to run for 1000 miles and then advised yes or no to a new one?
Old 06 August 2009, 10:44 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO they should have striped/cleaned/measured and inspected the pump for scoring and then condemn or pass the pump fit for use tbh.

You might want to ask them if they have replaced the Modine Oil Cooler ( if your not running an external oil cooler, which would need cleaning out also ) if your old engine suffered big end failure or a major blow up - the design of the Modine makes it notoriously difficult to clean 100%.

Mick
Old 06 August 2009, 11:51 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin24
IMHO they should have striped/cleaned/measured and inspected the pump for scoring and then condemn or pass the pump fit for use tbh.

You might want to ask them if they have replaced the Modine Oil Cooler ( if your not running an external oil cooler, which would need cleaning out also ) if your old engine suffered big end failure or a major blow up - the design of the Modine makes it notoriously difficult to clean 100%.

Mick
i think he did but said its better to get a uprated one esp with having the bigger pistons and new crank and rods etc i called a place in warrington called car planet they quoted £520 to replace the oil pump with a better one the place its at now said they would do it but i dont have the money right now to get it done plus i havent been to work for a week cos not had car back it got delayed but hopefully get it back tomorrow and then get paid at end of month and book it in then
Old 06 August 2009, 11:52 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shogo10
I would have thought that since the engine was out being rebuilt, could they not have tested the old one, to ensure it was fine to run for 1000 miles and then advised yes or no to a new one?
yea think they did but with it having bigger parts he said it be wise to get a uprated pump