Notices

Need help please

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2009, 12:12 AM
biglad58
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please

Ok so a few months back i wake up to my WR1 as flat as a pancake , no central locking working or lights on dash nothing so i think time for a new battery, £80 later and sorted, couple of weeks later (battery did well i thought) again nothing so next i get the alternator tested and they tell me its putting out a low reading so i change it, went for a re-con one as a new one i was quoted £450 so supplied and fitted £180 sorted, been about a month maybe 2 and tonight i go out and whats this i have no flashing light on dash so i go to open doors and no central locking working, just no power at all. Please forgive me cos when it comes to things like this i havent a clue so any advice would be great. No interior lights have been left on overnight, no big sound system. A few months back i had a clifford 650 with turbo timer and remote engine start, already asked the fitter who said theres no way it has anything to do with it, keep thinking it has to be, please help.
Old 02 August 2009, 12:21 AM
lancewr1
Scooby Newbie

Only thing i can come up with is (may seem silly but does occur)
is your tracker draining battery power.

OR ALSO i cam accros this with a quick search, may be of no help but ...

If you own a Subaru built from 2003 onwards, there is a design fault in the charging system which eventually results in a flat battery. The cure, apart from pestering Subaru who refuse to acknowledge this, is to always have the blower on - lowest setting is enough. Alternatively drive with the sidelights on. If you don't, the battery only charges for the first half mile, not enough to maintain charge.
Old 02 August 2009, 12:27 AM
biglad58
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lancewr1
Only thing i can come up with is (may seem silly but does occur)
is your tracker draining battery power.

OR ALSO i cam accros this with a quick search, may be of no help but ...

If you own a Subaru built from 2003 onwards, there is a design fault in the charging system which eventually results in a flat battery. The cure, apart from pestering Subaru who refuse to acknowledge this, is to always have the blower on - lowest setting is enough. Alternatively drive with the sidelights on. If you don't, the battery only charges for the first half mile, not enough to maintain charge.
Cheers mate somebody else mentioned that about the design fault
Old 02 August 2009, 01:19 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As above, two main culprits. The 'smart' alternator which only charges when a current draw is detected. Running on sidelights (just leave them switched on, they come on/off with ignition as parking lights are on a separate switch) and/or blower left on '1'.
There is supposed to be a firmware update available for the Trackstar unit which reduces the amount of time it 'scans' for satellites after parking up. Contact either the dealer or RAC for details.
Old 02 August 2009, 06:12 AM
biglad58
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
As above, two main culprits. The 'smart' alternator which only charges when a current draw is detected. Running on sidelights (just leave them switched on, they come on/off with ignition as parking lights are on a separate switch) and/or blower left on '1'.
There is supposed to be a firmware update available for the Trackstar unit which reduces the amount of time it 'scans' for satellites after parking up. Contact either the dealer or RAC for details.

Cheers mate will get straight on it
Old 02 August 2009, 07:51 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

so any car 03 onwards should run with lights or blower on?
Old 02 August 2009, 07:58 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Unless you want a flat battery every 4-6 months, yes ! My first battery lasted 4 months, the second lasted 2 1/2 years until 3 months after I sold it and the new owner didn't follow my instructions