Notices

Advice Needed Engine Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2009, 11:02 PM
STi.Type.R
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed Engine Knocking

Hi all i have a Impreza Type-R '98 and have only just got car back from garage after having head gasket and clutch replaced as well as de-cat and fuel pump/regulators upgraded. Once i got car back home i noticed a burning coolant smell coming from engine so parked car up for night and upon checking in morning car had no coolant Topped up coolant and noticed very bad leak from heater matrix pipe, mechanic came out and told me looks like it had been there for a long time slowly getting worse!! Anyway at same time engine is now making a knocking noise at 2500rpm and above. Anyway garage told me its nothing to do with them as car was checked and road tested so i could be looking at a hefty repair bill if it turns out to be bottom end gone. My question is the garage liable for this as clearly i did not get the car back in a drivable state.They are trying to tell me its just a strange coincidence that this happens less that 24hrs after getting the car back Any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Old 02 August 2009, 01:09 AM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a nightmare come true to me I'd maybe try citizens advice or sometype of consumer advice line to see where you stand legally. Goodluck with that, hope it turns out alright for you.
Old 02 August 2009, 01:25 AM
STi.Type.R
Scooby Newbie

Thanks bud going to call Trading Standards on Monday i think. I just refuse to accept that my car could come out of the garage after pretty major work and go pop less than 24hrs/60 miles later and i should pay for it

Last edited by STi.Type.R; 02 August 2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02 August 2009, 02:07 AM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

Being a Mechanic, and that i have done lots of work on Subaru's, I have to say that it will be almost Impossible for you to prove neglagence on their part.

If the pipe has a Split, and it could have been going and aggravated when the Garage removed it to do the clutch.... Assuming it was not leaking when they put it back, and if it was they would have noticed water spraying from it when they were bleeding the system, and it would be leaking onto the floor while parked, so you would have seen a pool of water on the floor when you picked up the car.

I would suggest the split occurred when you went onto boost on your way home, and you will have lost the coolant, however your water temp should have gone up and you should have stopped immediately.

It is rotten luck that it has happened, But i honestly do not think the Garage was at fault, and i do not think Trading standards will either.
Old 02 August 2009, 02:36 AM
STi.Type.R
Scooby Newbie

There was no movement in temp gauge on way home just slight burning smell from engine which i was told to expect. By their mechanics own admission it seems the leak has been there since before it went into garage as has left a stain on engine from before system was flushed which does beg the question as to why it wasnt picked up on before car left. On top of above problems forgot to mention that exhaust system was blocked (which i was unaware of as was taking it very easy no boost) and on way home car backfired and spat baffles out onto road. Seem to think engine damage could have been caused by back pressure. Guess will have to wait till i find out exactly what is causing knocking noise before jumping to conclusions hopefully just a minor problem. All in all tho' a total disaster

Last edited by STi.Type.R; 02 August 2009 at 03:06 AM. Reason: More detail
Old 02 August 2009, 03:01 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Just incase you need a re-build or anything else(parts/info/advice etc) I've found API Impreza to be very good. I had them re-build my engine and so have lot's of others, very reliable company and David is a Topman for honest advice. Goodluck again
Old 02 August 2009, 09:10 PM
STi.Type.R
Scooby Newbie

Checked timing belt today this was also just replaced and appears to be quite loose could this be what is causing engine knock??
Old 02 August 2009, 10:12 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A knackered tensioner will bounce against its stop, sounding a bit like piston slap, so this could possibly be your problem (hopefully!) If the old tensioner was re-used, there is a procedure for compressing the piston, before inserting the retaining pin. failure to do this may damage the tensioner.

JohnD