Notices

STi 3 & 4 HEADS... DIFFERENCES ???

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2009, 12:18 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation STi 3 & 4 HEADS... DIFFERENCES ???

As per title.

Are there any physical differences between the two MYs. Do they have the same cams, buckets, shims, blah, blah...?

Which MY is better i.e. which set of heads flows better/more air for more bhp, etc...?
Old 21 July 2009, 03:54 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Wink

C'mon merlin24, JGM, WMS et al... I know you can answer this! lol

Last edited by joz8968; 21 July 2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 21 July 2009, 07:41 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll find them to be near enough identical. And i'm 99% sure the flow rates are the same too.

I have heard the base circle on the cams is slightly different though, only a rumour though i think. I have both sets of heads and just haven't had the time to find out. When i do i will create a thread outlining my findings.

What you upto now Joz?
Old 21 July 2009, 07:43 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Oh and both heads are capable of 500BHP on standard cams obviously if you wanted more you would need uprated cams and preferably uprated springs to prevent spring surge and shimless buckets from the newer heads is a added advantage (saves you worrying about a shim flying out LOL)
Old 21 July 2009, 08:53 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STI_Baly
I think you'll find them to be near enough identical. And i'm 99% sure the flow rates are the same too.

Not seen any difference between the STi V3 and V4 heads in regards to valvetrain,cam lift and head castings - the Version 3's i have seen tend to come with the early 2 bolt tensioner and the majority of Version 4's have the later single bolt tensioner (nothing to say that the later tensioner has been retro fitted at some time of the engines life though )

Mick
Old 21 July 2009, 09:28 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Thanks you two. I thought they were pretty much identical, etc... and were capable of c.500bhp. All one really needs to know LOL

Ta.

Oh and Baley, see here for what I'm about to be doing (from post #6...)

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...03-sti-v7.html

Last edited by joz8968; 21 July 2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 21 July 2009, 10:54 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Hmm, i would certainly get rid of that MAF though......you put any thought into a Solaris JOZ? Lol at Baley it's "Baly"
Old 21 July 2009, 10:56 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin24

Not seen any difference between the STi V3 and V4 heads in regards to valvetrain,cam lift and head castings - the Version 3's i have seen tend to come with the early 2 bolt tensioner and the majority of Version 4's have the later single bolt tensioner (nothing to say that the later tensioner has been retro fitted at some time of the engines life though )

Mick
I had that damn later tensioner so will retrofit the version 1 tensioner when i start the main build after i visit you that is Mick I know you'll be pissed as a newt this weekend so will mail you for the weekend after hopefully all will go to plan.
Old 22 July 2009, 09:41 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Hmm, i would certainly get rid of that MAF though......you put any thought into a Solaris JOZ?...
Yeah, MAFless gives peace of mind but can't be bothered to get pay out again for a Simtek (or even the MAFless version of ESL Live)... let alone Solaris! But the Solaris really is a fit and forget job - as it properly 'looks afer' you lol.

The Z32 MAF I bought is a genuine one though - it's 2nd hand but unused. It even came in the Nissan 'Genuine Parts' box. The early MAFs are robust and the Z32 is allegedly even better.

I have the "Air-F" parameter always showing on the Commander and always look at it (obviously when safe to do so) etc...

...Lol at Baley it's "Baly"
Sorry, I quite often do that don't I? :-D

Last edited by joz8968; 22 July 2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 23 July 2009, 11:18 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Yeah, MAFless gives peace of mind but can't be bothered to get pay out again for a Simtek (or even the MAFless version of ESL Live)... let alone Solaris! But the Solaris really is a fit and forget job - as it properly 'looks afer' you lol.

The Z32 MAF I bought is a genuine one though - it's 2nd hand but unused. It even came in the Nissan 'Genuine Parts' box. The early MAFs are robust and the Z32 is allegedly even better.

I have the "Air-F" parameter always showing on the Commander and always look at it (obviously when safe to do so) etc...

Sorry, I quite often do that don't I? :-D
Far to often lol, anyway did you ever look at that link i sent you in a PM a month ago?