Notices

Uprated AFM for new age? What does Andy Forrest use??

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2009, 12:22 PM
Forester sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uprated AFM for new age? What does Andy Forrest use??

As above,
I read somewhere that Andy's spec c is running 450bhp/500lbft with a top mount and standard ECU and an uprated AFM!
I have never been able to fing an uprated AFM,
Does anyone know where to look?
Thanks
Dan
Old 20 July 2009, 01:38 PM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i think the standard one will do that power on a newage, but the experts will be on to confirm in a sec lol.
Old 20 July 2009, 07:05 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The standard ECU on a 2.0L will run up to 450bhp but that really is the limit and will need hacking in order to run the car like it came from the factory because the 300g/s MAF airflow limit is hard coded in the ECU. The ECU on a 2.5Ltr has scope for more power as MAF limits aren't hard coded although some hacking has to be done with max engine load limits that are hard coded. The standard MAF sensor is only accurate to 350-370g/s airflow anyway and thereafter smooth running may suffer.

You need a cold air intake with large diameter tubing and a large MAF tube to house the existing std MAF sensor. I would be fitting the MAF senor between the top mount intercooler and Throttle body for accurate airflow and charge temperature measurement. Would involve some very minor modification to intercooler brackets to fit but nothing difficult, and with the ECU hack, modified Pink or 700+cc injectors, uprated MAP sensor and a decent Turbo (MD321T or V) you should easily see 450+bhp no problem.

Thereafter you will have to think about an aftermarket ECU, and probably a front mount intercooler. The difficult task is keeping the topmount intercooler cool so a turbo jacket and better heatshield will help underbonnet temps, and i would be inclined to go for a CO2type intercooler spray to keep charge temps as cool as poss and maybe even add Methanol injection or run a methanol/e85+petrol mix in the tank.

Every tuner has his own way of doing stuff this is what i will be doing with mine in due course just to see how far i can take the std intercooler and ECU.
Old 21 July 2009, 01:25 PM
Forester sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great information!
Thanks very much for that!
Dan