Air con advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2009, 09:29 PM
danog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air con advice please.

Hey there,
just got back from a long drive round france and while I was over there a problem with my aircon started to apeer.
Id be cruising along at 80/90 mph and at first I thought an intermitant misfire was happneing and Id feel the engine loose power for a few seconds and then be ok. I later found out it was only with the air con turned on.
when looking at the compressor with the a/c turned on the pully would turn for about 20 sec then turn off for 20 then back on again with a clunk which I think is the cause of the loss of power. Is this on/off normal?
sometimes with engine stopped I can turn the inner pully and sometimes it is tight and notchy is this right?
also there is a sticker under the bonnet stating which type of a/c oil to use. Ive never checked the a/c oil, and where does it go?
Many thanks for any help.
Old 13 July 2009, 10:46 PM
mbd sti2
Scooby Regular

its fine mate the noise is the clutch engaging and then releasing, and this does cause the on off power loss as the aircon is cutting in and out which you are describing, the pulley should free wheel when its turned off if you remove the belt it should turn easy and the clutch if you turn that will be turning the compressor inside so that will go tight as you try to compress the gas hope this helps

oh yeah and the oil is in the gas system it is not somthing you have to worry about it gets changed when the air con get serviced ie (gas removed and new oil put in with uv dye and then the correct amount off gas) we do it at my work £60 AC service

Last edited by mbd sti2; 13 July 2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 13 July 2009, 11:40 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Think it may be worth getting a service engineer to check it.

Both my Scoobs can run aircon all day without noticing, except sometimes at idle. Defo no noticeable power loss at steady motorway speeds.

Otherwise everything you describe is normal.
Old 14 July 2009, 08:51 AM
danog
Scooby Regular

thanks for the help guys.
Its only started doing it last week and it defenatly noticable when cruising. I have also noticed there is a fine rust coloured dust all around the magnetic clutch. I will have to take the belt off and check the pully bearings.
thanks.