Notices

dump valve

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2009, 04:57 PM
5paul5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dump valve

Having just bought my first scooby complete with bailey dump valve i was quite suprised to find that they are not a recommended fitment after reading these forums. Is it really true that they can damage the engine ? If so why are they made and marketed for these cars ? I have had several other cars with dump valves with no problems so is it just scoobys that suffer. Any advice please as i happen to like the sound but will remove it if the rumours are true .
Old 06 July 2009, 06:58 PM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

The standard one it came with is the best one for the job. The excess air is recirculated which the ecu is set up for. With a VTA that air the ecu is expecting back into the system is being dumped. So the fuel air mixture will be wrong.
Old 06 July 2009, 09:14 PM
sponners
Scooby Regular

the air fuel mixture will only be rich on lift off which isn't really dangerous on your average setup.
Old 06 July 2009, 09:24 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 5paul5
Having just bought my first scooby complete with bailey dump valve i was quite suprised to find that they are not a recommended fitment after reading these forums. Is it really true that they can damage the engine ?
Yes, it's true, potentially. Although the severity and type of the symptoms varies from car to car, and from one valve to another, and very much depends on other things adding themselves into the mix.

If so why are they made and marketed for these cars ?
For the same reason you can buy windscreen washer nozzles with LEDs built into them: Some people will buy any old sh*t.

I have had several other cars with dump valves with no problems so is it just scoobys that suffer.
As V5 says the Impreza's engine, air metering system, induction tract and ECU is designed in concert with the standard fit dumpvalve that recirculates dumped air back into the system immediately before the turbo. As Sponners says, dumping this metered air out of the system will confuse the ECU, with effects that are *usually* benign, but are not always so. Changing to a non-standard DV can also damage the turbo and the mass airflow sensor and it's this last item that has the most potential to cause serious problems.

Any advice please as i happen to like the sound but will remove it if the rumours are true .
You're unlikely to screw the engine up just by continuing to drive the car with the aftermarket DV fitted, but, as mentioned above, there is the potential to do so. Damaging the MAF sensor, in particular, has the potential to result in a grenaded engine if left to fester.
Old 06 July 2009, 09:24 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sponners
the air fuel mixture will only be rich on lift off which isn't really dangerous on your average setup.
No but it will use a little extra fuel
I removed the VTA on my classic STI (it came with it) and the throttle response was so much smoother between gear changes and I didn’t look like a tw*t every time I lifted off
Old 06 July 2009, 09:30 PM
Rickstarbo
Scooby Newbie

Get a dual vent dump valve. That gives you the best of both worlds as it doesn't affect the ECU and doesn't give stalling problems but will vent to atmosphere at high revs.

I use the APS one and it's awesome.
Old 06 July 2009, 09:33 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rickstarbo
Get a dual vent dump valve. That gives you the best of both worlds as it doesn't affect the ECU and doesn't give stalling problems but will vent to atmosphere at high revs.
If it vents to atmosphere at all, it is affecting the ECU, period.

Trending Topics

Old 06 July 2009, 09:49 PM
sponners
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
If it vents to atmosphere at all, it is affecting the ECU, period.
+1

I personally run recirc but this is because I dont like chactastic whoosh.

......if you like the noise and it isnt giving you stalling issues then leave it on......should be fine.
Old 06 July 2009, 11:34 PM
5paul5
Scooby Regular

Still cant understand why they manufacture and market them if they potentially can damage the engine. Even recommends fitting them in a subaru book i have just bought !!!
Old 07 July 2009, 12:25 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 5paul5
Still cant understand why they manufacture and market them if they potentially can damage the engine.
I'll draw you another analogy: Cigarettes. People will sell any old sh*t if there's a market for it. Rightly or wrongly, there's a market for dumpvalves that look shiny or make attention-seeking noises. Or both.

Even recommends fitting them in a subaru book i have just bought !!!
On what specific basis was this recommendation made? There are certain circumstances, for example if you have the nasty plastic DV on the early cars, or with the 99-00 valve (where the spring had a habit of losing its temper) where you might opt to replace with something else for positive reasons, but even then the choice of replacement is all-important, the primary consideration being that it recirculates.

On a newage car there's no reason why most people would need to change, as the the original fit DV is pretty much perfectly designed.
Old 07 July 2009, 03:47 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

there are to many people that over react about the damage of a vta bov i have had mine on for over a year no damage idials fine and runs fine, and you will get just as many poeple saying thers runs fine as others sayin it does damage, its an over reacted subject.
Old 07 July 2009, 04:34 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uk300scoob
there are to many people that over react about the damage of a vta bov i have had mine on for over a year no damage idials fine and runs fine, and you will get just as many poeple saying thers runs fine as others sayin it does damage, its an over reacted subject.
It's done your spelling and grammar no end of damage, have you tried removing it to see if they return to normal?
Old 07 July 2009, 07:22 PM
5paul5
Scooby Regular

Bit of a mixed reaction then so none the wiser really ! Think i`ll leave it for now and remove it when i get bored with the noise.
Old 07 July 2009, 07:32 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

yea if you like it then leave it on isnt eating any grass and they are made for a reason and on market for a reason.
Old 07 July 2009, 08:59 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uk300scoob
yea if you like it then leave it on isnt eating any grass and they are made for a reason and on market for a reason.
The reason is to make the people making and selling them money. Nothing more complex than that.
Old 07 July 2009, 09:28 PM
5paul5
Scooby Regular

Well it puts a smile on my sons face and thats good enough for me .