Removing Thermostat...

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2009, 05:11 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing Thermostat...

... for cooler running

Anyone done this? Am I to expect problems or is this a common thing people do to Imprezas?

Its actually a Subaru garage who have advised this, as they've told me it defo isnt my cylinder head thats gone (RE: my overheating thread).

Ta
Old 02 July 2009, 05:38 PM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Location: East Barnet/southgate on the borders of North London and Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not advisable mate, thats just going to hide any problem you may have.

If you suspect it is the stat remove it and stick in a cup of boiling water to test it.
Old 02 July 2009, 05:41 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't recommend removing the thermostat entirely as your engine would take longer to reach optimum oil temperature. Most engine wear happens when the engine oil is warming up to running temperature so by removing the thermostat you would increase engine wear. A zerosports thermostat is a better solution as this would open 10 degrees ealier than standard to reduce engine temps.

Last edited by bluerigster; 02 July 2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02 July 2009, 05:48 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

What about just a temporary solution then? As having to drive upto edinburgh on the weekend and dont want to end up stuck in traffic and the engine goes POP!

As i'm pretty sure i cant get hold of one of these cool running thermostats by the weekend?? Where sells them??

Ta
Old 02 July 2009, 05:57 PM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

you can get cooler stats from Roger Clarke.. or Graham Goode... in stock with next day delivery... you could get it by sat if u ordered tomorrow.

You will have a problem if you remove the stat completely, as the stat has a O ring that goes around the outside not one that sits on top of it... so if you remove the stat... their is nothing to stop the water leaking out of the housing...

I have seen people cut the insides out... but it is NOT adviseable as your car will run cool nearly all the time and you will have no heater... so in cold days or wet days you will struggle to clear the windscreen...

But as already mentioned the main problem will be your oil will not get upto proper temp causing more engine wear...

if you want a temp solution buy a new std stat...

but none of these will solve your problem... a water pump could be the issue, but they either work or they do not... their is no in between...

I would suspect head gasket issues... and would suggest a block test to confirm.
Old 02 July 2009, 06:05 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Lateral performance sells zerosport thermostats, are you sure the car has good water circulation?. Possible air lock, faulty water pump or pump cavitation etc.

Last edited by bluerigster; 02 July 2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02 July 2009, 06:09 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Best and easiest way to check for good water circ??

Only thing i've been able to establish about that is that water is being taken from filler bottle to header tank. Other than that no idea??
Old 02 July 2009, 07:55 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

If your heaters in the car are working this is a good sign you have good water circulation, as water would be passing through your heater matrix.
Old 02 July 2009, 08:04 PM
t7srt
Scooby Regular

Removing the thermostat gives you a false reading that you engine is running cooler, Yes, the water is cooler but if it passes the combustion chambers so fast it will not disipate heat and will cause hot spots boiling the water around the outside of the chambers,
As a temporry measure to get the car to a garage you can remove it, but a long journey could kill the engine,

It could be a water pump, as the spindal between the cam pulley and rotor heats up it can come loose and spin on the spindal, So when the engine is cold there is good circulation, when its hot, it may circulate but not well enough causing over heating, Unfortuantly there is no easy way of checking this unless its removed which means a cambelt change.

Hope that helps,,, dont drive it until sorted as it will cost you more in the end
Old 02 July 2009, 08:36 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Well the heaters work fine, sometimes take a while to heat up, tad ironic! But if turn air con on heats up straight away. I've topped up the coolant and now its not overheating. Didn't put much in like?? Guna get me a cool thermo and see how we go. All things point to a leak IMO. Any further ideas or opinions? Thanks for all the help with this one like, much appreciated!