Notices

please help

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2009, 11:47 PM
veilsideluke
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help

really strange. was driving along after getting my 95 wrx out the bodyshop for about 50 miles with no problems. went to asda, came out and set off as usual, got 5 miles and it started stuttering. got down a hill to a set of traffic lights, engine cut out and wouldnt start. it hasnt seized or lost a belt or anything. just died.

5 hours later, when the AA decided to show up, ( an ex subaru mechanic apparently) he jumped it and managed to get it going but it took a good 10 minutes of cranking and a very rish smell of petrol, run like an absolute bag of crap and would only run at at least 2k revs. anything under that and it would die.

so he checked the filter and pump, obv things, then pulled each injector wire one at a time and found that the front right bank as u look at it made no difference on pulling.

so went out and bought a new coil pack, fitted it, but made no difference.

im absolutely stumped as to what to do and have a nice wrx sat there i cant use. first of all any advice is appreciated, secondly, if someone is local to me and fancies the job of sorting it, contact me on 07706 809308. thanks

luke
Old 30 June 2009, 12:34 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cambelt jumped possibly.

Simon
Old 30 June 2009, 01:07 AM
veilsideluke
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
cambelt jumped possibly.

Simon
is that quite a regular occurance? was amazed how it just happened out the blue
Old 30 June 2009, 01:18 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by veilsideluke
really strange. was driving along after getting my 95 wrx out the bodyshop for about 50 miles with no problems. went to asda, came out and set off as usual, got 5 miles and it started stuttering. got down a hill to a set of traffic lights, engine cut out and wouldnt start. it hasnt seized or lost a belt or anything. just died.

5 hours later, when the AA decided to show up, ( an ex subaru mechanic apparently) he jumped it and managed to get it going but it took a good 10 minutes of cranking and a very rish smell of petrol, run like an absolute bag of crap and would only run at at least 2k revs. anything under that and it would die.

so he checked the filter and pump, obv things, then pulled each injector wire one at a time and found that the front right bank as u look at it made no difference on pulling.

so went out and bought a new coil pack, fitted it, but made no difference.

im absolutely stumped as to what to do and have a nice wrx sat there i cant use. first of all any advice is appreciated, secondly, if someone is local to me and fancies the job of sorting it, contact me on 07706 809308. thanks

luke
This is in addition to JGM's advice

Firstly, if the mech disconnected a injector wire this is different to a coil pack. Was the old coil pack in anyway damaged (check under the rubber)?

Secondly, a body shop is a very dusty enviroment so might be worth checking the MAF for contamination.

You say the mech checked 'the filter and pump'. Is that fuel or air filter?

Lastly goto Jolly Green Monsters site JollyGreenMonster.co.uk and check for any fault codes
Old 30 June 2009, 01:21 AM
veilsideluke
Scooby Newbie

wow extremely good reply thanks.

il give this info and link to the mechanic where the car is at at the min and see if it helps.

i didnt check the coil pack to be honest. but the one i bought came out of a fully working wrx
Old 30 June 2009, 01:35 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

No problem

Does your mechanic have good knowledge of the Scoob? They can be a very fickle and stuborn breed with lots of idiosyncrasies and a good 'vet' is essential

Keep us posted