Notices

Please Please help me, I've broken my boyfriends car!

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2009, 10:37 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Please help me, I've broken my boyfriends car!

Hello, I have done something really stupid and I offered to change the dash bulbs for my boyfriend and yet again its gone totally wrong. I pulled the clocks out exactly like I did my own, replaced the bulbs and put it all back together. First of all the rev counter, water temp and the 4/5 lights at the bottom of the right hand corner (engine check, oil etc) didn't work. Also the back heater window comes on automatically when you started the car which knocked the revs down, but once switched off the car run fine.
So today I pulled the clocks out again to check the connections on the back of the clocks and they were fine. I put it all back together and he drove it around the block, switched it off and when he went to start her straight away and she wouldn't start. The CD player stayed on but the car was dead.
We have checked all the fuses, well the ones on the right of the engine and the ones under the steering wheel. Dont know if there are any more!
When you turn the key, it sets off the gauges and they beep in warning same when you put the lights on, if you put the heaters on and then turn the lights on it stops the heaters. Everything is setting everthing else off, Calvin pulled the battery off 5 mins to see if that would help at all and now when you pull the keys out the hazards flash.

She is a 1997 impreza with an alarm and immobiliser.

I feel so so so bad, Please can someone help me because I dont know what to do and I'm sure he is bouncing but being polite and not showing it. I would kill me if I was him

Please someone give me an idea where I can start.
Old 26 June 2009, 11:03 PM
chris_bobuk
Scooby Regular

Keys out hazards flash sounds like the alarm/immobiliser to me.
I would find out exactly what plugs you have unplugged and what they feed!
Old 26 June 2009, 11:50 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Right i've put my battery on his car and she started first turn of the key, Thank God. But the dash lights, heater lights, rev counter, water temp and the 4/5 lights at the bottom of the right hand corner (engine check, oil etc) seat belt & handbrake lights still arent working.
I've put all the old bulbs back in just incase they were causing the problem.

Any Ideas?
Old 26 June 2009, 11:55 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

check for any blown fuses
Old 26 June 2009, 11:55 PM
chris_bobuk
Scooby Regular

Try the dash fuse again.
Its something commen to them all so shouldn't be too hard to find.
Are you getting power to the fuse?
Old 27 June 2009, 12:43 AM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Do you know which fuse it would be? Would this also stop the rev counter working?
Old 27 June 2009, 01:22 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blueg14rep
Hello, I have done something really stupid and I offered to change the dash bulbs for my boyfriend and yet again its gone totally wrong. I pulled the clocks out exactly like I did my own, replaced the bulbs and put it all back together. First of all the rev counter, water temp and the 4/5 lights at the bottom of the right hand corner (engine check, oil etc) didn't work. Also the back heater window comes on automatically when you started the car which knocked the revs down, but once switched off the car run fine.
So today I pulled the clocks out again to check the connections on the back of the clocks and they were fine. I put it all back together and he drove it around the block, switched it off and when he went to start her straight away and she wouldn't start. The CD player stayed on but the car was dead.
We have checked all the fuses, well the ones on the right of the engine and the ones under the steering wheel. Dont know if there are any more!
When you turn the key, it sets off the gauges and they beep in warning same when you put the lights on, if you put the heaters on and then turn the lights on it stops the heaters. Everything is setting everthing else off, Calvin pulled the battery off 5 mins to see if that would help at all and now when you pull the keys out the hazards flash.

She is a 1997 impreza with an alarm and immobiliser.

Oh Claire, what you like

I know its a bit obvious but, you have reconnected all 3 plugs haven't you.

Did you disconnect the battery before you started the job??

Is it a Subaru alarm/immobiliser or aftermarket??

What i would do is, disconnect the battery, check all fuses 1 by 1 (Under bonnet and inside car). If all are ok then remove the clocks again and check the plugs for any damage/pulled wires ect, i've had mine out and know there ain't alot of room

I feel so so so bad, Please can someone help me because I dont know what to do and I'm sure he is bouncing but being polite and not showing it. I would kill me if I was him.
I'm sure if he was 'bouncing' you would know about it
Old 27 June 2009, 01:40 AM
chris_bobuk
Scooby Regular

Not a clue which fuse number, dont have the car or manual to look at.
If the fuses are all ok like the above post try the plugs, if its possible leave the gauges out but connected and try them.
Saves removing them to check all the time.
Old 27 June 2009, 04:13 PM
dean_gti
Scooby Regular

First check all fuses (under bonnet & behind the coin holder)
Disconect battary
Remove the clocks again and make sure nothing has dropped in to the sockets
Have a good look at the plugs that go into the dials make sure you have not starined owt or pulled it out etc.

Not sure after that.
Old 27 June 2009, 06:40 PM
HAWKEYE BEAST
BANNED

ive got some scooby haynes type manuals here that tell you everything if you send me your hotmail. addy ill send them mines LAT81@HOTMAIL.COM will be sumthing so simple like 2 wires touching somwere in a plug ..
Old 28 June 2009, 01:13 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

All sorted One of the gold circuit strips on the back of the instruments had boken so with a little bit of soldering its back in A1 condition much to mine and Calvin's relief.

Never again will I offer to work on someone else car, The stress and upset was to much. Dont mind braking my own car
Old 28 June 2009, 01:25 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

YouTube - Harry Enfield - Women, Don't Drive

I'm really, reeeally sorry (if it wasn't me, it would've invariably been someone else ).

Last edited by joz8968; 28 June 2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 28 June 2009, 01:35 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
YouTube - Harry Enfield - Women, Don't Drive

I'm really, reeeally sorry (if it wasn't me, it would've invariably been someone else ).

Cheeky , I did my own car with no problems and I've fitted my oil temp, oil pressure and boost gauges myself. Plus I've done quiet a few thngs under the bonnett on my own, Pretty good I think as I dont know a lot about subaru's
Old 28 June 2009, 01:56 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Cheeky , I did my own car with no problems and I've fitted my oil temp, oil pressure and boost gauges myself. Plus I've done quiet a few thngs under the bonnett on my own, Pretty good I think as I dont know a lot about subaru's
Only kidding.

Indeed, you're more hands on/competent than me. I just pay people to fit mods to my car/fix it (either too lazy or lack of know-how ).

Last edited by joz8968; 28 June 2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 28 June 2009, 03:29 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

All sorted One of the gold circuit strips on the back of the instruments had boken so with a little bit of soldering its back in A1 condition much to mine and Calvin's relief.

Never again will I offer to work on someone else car, The stress and upset was to much. Dont mind braking my own car
Nice one Claire, please its sorted.